cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange story - Turn your water off while driving

Well here is a one in a million shot!!

I just spent a week at a nice peaceful lake out in the mountains, no hookups, just the genny to keep things going. It was absolutely wonderful, and no cell reception, another bonus.

Oh, and this was the maiden voyage for my new to me TT.

Well, this morning was time to return to reality so I packed things up and hit the road for the 200 mile trip home.

About 5 miles out of camp I realized I forgot to shut the water pump and hot water tank off, as I was using them for last minutes cleanups.

I shrugged it off, no big deal, I have run more times with the water on than I have with it off. I'll shut them off next time I stop.

I got about 35 miles down the road and thought I would pull into a stop to grab a bite to eat, so I did. I got to the side of my TT and heard the water pump running rapidly, as they do when they are out of water. And I also heard my hot water tank running, and the tank gurgling like mad. Hmmmm, odd, I know I have half a tank of fresh water. I get inside, shut the pump off and investigate.

Something I forgot to put away was the bottle of shampoo and a bottle of body wash that were sitting on the little shelves in the molded shower enclosure. They fell off as soon as I left camp and one of them fell down and struck the hot water tap in the tub on just exactly the right angle and turned the tap on!!:E:E

Unbelievable! What are the chances of the bottle hitting the tap in such a manner as to turn it on? I'd say a million to one!!

So it proceeded to empty the fresh water tank into the bathtub. Well the grey tank was about half full already so this process topped it right up. I could see the grey tank level full, at the top of the tub drain.

I'm still shaking my head in amazement! Fortunately there was a dump station a couple miles back down the road so I went back, emptied the tanks and refilled the fresh water tank.

No harm done, no damage but there sure could have been. Guess it's time to make a checklist for packing up...... Darn CRS Syndrome anyways!!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
25 REPLIES 25

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We shut off the pump EVERY time we leave the RV for anything longer than a trip to the CG shower.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think the moral of the story is to take the bottles/jugs down in the shower before hitting the road. :h

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I just grab all the shampoo items and toss them in the tub before hitching up. Save them the trip while I'm on the road. Other things like dish soap and other items, I put in a Ziploc bag and toss in the sink, so if they leak, who cares.

The pump and water are on my checklist just out of habit. I read horror stories all the time about RV plumbing, so I try to keep the lines depressurized when I'm not using the TT.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Guilty, guilty, guiltyโ€ฆ

I to have left both on and a bottle of wash on the shelfโ€ฆ

The bottle of body wash fell and cracked the tub in my caseโ€ฆ

On several occasions I heard the pump running fast but I had water in the tank and nothing turned onโ€ฆ it seems to have gotten an air lock in the pumpโ€ฆ I turned it off for a second and back on and it primed and shut off like normalโ€ฆ

I keep reminding myself to make a check listโ€ฆ. Been reminding myself for years nowโ€ฆ:B
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Thats_Ok wrote:
The Gremlins that ride in the back when nobody is looking are the real reason that weird stuff happens.

It's gotta be the Gremlins we are sure of it!

LOL
:C

Well I did see a funny looking green creature with 3 eyes, about a foot tall, run away when I opened the door............
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
The Gremlins that ride in the back when nobody is looking are the real reason that weird stuff happens.

It's gotta be the Gremlins we are sure of it!

LOL
:C

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
kknowlton wrote:
OOPS!! Sure glad there was no real damage. Bet you won't forget that again. ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL!
That is a great story, lesson learned, I sure will think to check!

Glad nothing got damaged.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I had something similar happen 3 years ago the faucet was open a tiny bit just enough to fill up the grey tank to the point where the floor of the shower had an inch of water in it. Fortunately the hot water propane switch was off
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it didn't overflow the gray tank and flood the trailer!
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
OOPS!! Sure glad there was no real damage. Bet you won't forget that again. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bob,

I too have traveled with the pump and w/heater on. But it does sound like a very good idea to turn them off. Glad your w/heater is okay. That could have got ugly quick.

Richard
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII