cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgaters

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our maiden voyage in our Class C. I drive a lot; my commute is 100 miles each day.

But I'm flabergasted at the folks on I-70 who insist on riding my bumper! I'm doing 55mph, far right lane, speed limit is 75. Both left lanes are open.

No exits for miles...

Really?

If I had some cool bumper stickers, then I could understand. But all it says back there is "Coachmen"...
81 REPLIES 81

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind the tailgaters, it's the one who sit in the other lane right off the left rear corner that I don't like. See a lot of that around here, people that won't pass in a corner. Sit there for miles slowing both lanes of traffic.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
PghBob wrote:
I don't worry much about the tail-gaters. The ones that get to me are the folks in the itty-bitty plastic cars that just passed me, and suddenly pull in right in front of me. One guy cleared me by only an inch, so I had to slam the brakes. Obviously, these people don't think. Force of a 7 ton steel truck vs. a small one ton plastic car. The math doesn't work out too well for them.
I refer to that being a Ford enema.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
With a name and look of Lazy Daze it kind of shouts "SLOW!" to other motorists. Usually they try to pass ASAP. But occasionally someone will stick back there close. Why I don't know, it kind of blocks the view and they could be free. Maybe a fraction are drafting for fuel economy. Suspected that a few weeks ago on I10.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
I'm thinking of a bumper sticker. "If you are close enough to read this please PUSH & save me gas".

"Get any closer and the black tank will dump"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
What I consider tailgating seems to be normal driving for some. I use the three-seconds-behind rule, but I have a friend who routinely follows the car in front by only one car length! He scares the******out of me, and I avoid riding with him.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Tailgaters don't bother me in the least..............I'm going the same direction they are. Tailgate away, you will help my fuel mileage and yours.

As Fonzie said about rear view mirrors:
"I don't care where I've been, I just care how I look where I'm going-hey".

Now the people that drift over the center line coming at me................ :E
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Whatever you do, drive the speed you are most comfortable with and do not let anyone behind you intimidate you. If you are in the far right lane, no intention of moving to the left, you really don't even need to look in your mirrors. Just keep driving and let them eventually pass you. Drive peacefully and enjoy the ride! When towing my trailer, as long as I am above the "minimum" speed limit, I don't care what's going on behind me. I usually tow at 60-65 if on an interstate, but very seldom any faster. I sometimes have someone riding my bumper, but I simply ignore them. On 2 lane roads, depending on the road, I try to run the speed limit, whatever that is. I've heard too many stories about small town speed traps, so I'm not speeding on unknown roads. I don't care whose behind me riding my bumper.

Drive safe, stay to the right and just ignore everyone. As you said, they have ample opportunity to pass. If they don't pass, they must enjoy following you.

Well there it is! No more need be said. You just described my driving mode while traveling with the TC and Rhino on the trailer behind me right down to speeds.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Whatever you do, drive the speed you are most comfortable with and do not let anyone behind you intimidate you. If you are in the far right lane, no intention of moving to the left, you really don't even need to look in your mirrors. Just keep driving and let them eventually pass you. Drive peacefully and enjoy the ride! When towing my trailer, as long as I am above the "minimum" speed limit, I don't care what's going on behind me. I usually tow at 60-65 if on an interstate, but very seldom any faster. I sometimes have someone riding my bumper, but I simply ignore them. On 2 lane roads, depending on the road, I try to run the speed limit, whatever that is. I've heard too many stories about small town speed traps, so I'm not speeding on unknown roads. I don't care whose behind me riding my bumper.

Drive safe, stay to the right and just ignore everyone. As you said, they have ample opportunity to pass. If they don't pass, they must enjoy following you.

When it's my turn to drive, DH tells me this too, plus - "don't let anyone push you. Focus on your driving. We're not in a hurry."
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
amandasgramma wrote:
korbe wrote:
I'm not quite sure how it happens, but when somebody gets on my asss, my vehicle begins to slow down. Can't quite figure out why.....
Mine, too!!!!! Not sure what it is...something about space quotient .......the smaller the space, the slower we go....:) ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope the both of you are in the RIGHT lane when you decide to play these little games.

When I am towing, I usually stick to the right as much as I can. If some clown is tailgating you in the right lane, they are in the wrong almost 100% of the time. If you are in the LEFT lane and someone is tailgating you, YOU are in the wrong almost 100% of the time.

Personally, I don't get too bothered by some clown tailgating me. They will eventually wake up and realize there is another lane.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I find just the opposite to be true. Nobody wants to be behind me. They will pass, pull in, then slow down or pull off at the exit immediately after getting in front of me.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the road topography is flat enough where the truck won't need to be shifting much, set the cruise at low to middle 60s, around 1800RPM because that is where it stays in top gear comfortably, & whoever comes up behind has to deal with it. On a two lane a trucker may get some help in the form of a slow down when a passing opportunity comes up but cars have plenty surplus hp to get around without help.

I actually do have a custom bumper sticker on the trailer back which says "No, I am not in a hurry". It must annoy some of the tailgaters.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
I don't worry much about the tail-gaters. The ones that get to me are the folks in the itty-bitty plastic cars that just passed me, and suddenly pull in right in front of me. One guy cleared me by only an inch, so I had to slam the brakes. Obviously, these people don't think. Force of a 7 ton steel truck vs. a small one ton plastic car. The math doesn't work out too well for them.

tbirds255
Explorer
Explorer
I seen a bumper sticker once that said " I'm not in YOUR hurry" . I think of it often when I am trying to hurry somewhere.
2005 Ford F-250 Power Stroke Diesel
Crew Cab FX4
1978 Avion 30P (9.1 meter)

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
In todays world, with all states having concealed carry, plus all the road rage you read about, why not just ignore them? Maybe they just "jacked" that car and are back there loading a crack pipe.....not a good time to be tapping your brakes or flipping them off because you feel they are following a little too close.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they are drafting? It can save them gas ๐Ÿ˜‰