cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temperature Question

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
In the upcoming weeks, the night time temps could go down around freezing ... with the day temps being in the 50's.

We have our second adventure scheduled in two weeks, and I worry about the temps at night. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Do we need to take steps, or be worried if the temps go down to 32 degrees?

Thanks! Jules
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS
Let the adventures begin!
15 REPLIES 15

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a week with weather in the teens at night and in the twenties during the day and the water in the water pump froze on the third night. Only solution would be to let some water drip out and have the pump activated and moving water every so often, but that would make sleeping difficult.

Propane usage is minimal as the cubic feet of space being heated is very small.

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
Most newer mh's blow a small amount of heat into the storage area where there's water. I've been dry camping in the 20's with no problems.

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody!! I appreciate all of the info!!

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep in mind that some campgrounds require you to disconnect your water hose if the temps are forecast to fall below freezing. We have stayed at a campground near Louisville, KY that requires that. You refuse to disconnect, they expell you from the campground. Their park, their rules.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
It depends a bit but I would fill the on-board fresh water tank and drain the city water supply hose (disconnect and drain it)Normally, this is now I winter.

And....take off the in-line filter if you have one connected to the hose. I didn't and the temps sniffed 32 while I was in Kentucky for one night and blew that little blue filter tube to bits because the water didn't drain out of it. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It depends a bit but I would fill the on-board fresh water tank and drain the city water supply hose (disconnect and drain it)

Normally, this is now I winter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
NekkidFish wrote:
In the upcoming weeks, the night time temps could go down around freezing ... with the day temps being in the 50's.

We have our second adventure scheduled in two weeks, and I worry about the temps at night. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Do we need to take steps, or be worried if the temps go down to 32 degrees?Thanks! Jules

Yup. you are going to be cold!

You need to get pillow vent covers to put up into all your roof vents and something to cover all the windows. THAT is where most of the cold comes in from.

If you have a Class C you need something to block off the front of the cab, that is where a lot of the cold will come in from. Nothing but windshield and side windows up there! An adco rv windshield cover will also help.

Also before shutting your engine off make sure to shut off the heat or ac completely so the vents slam shut.

I found the van sized windshield sun shades fit right under day night shades to insulate the windows without having to put up velcro or taping them. Easy to take down and folds up for storage.

Covering the vents and all windows makes a BIG difference how warm you can keep it inside the RV.

Been there done that and it was only for a couple of cold days in Florida and it sucked. RV's are not made to be comfortable in freezing temps!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put on the furnace and pull in the water hose and the sewer hose too. Put a sponge or something to block the entrance to keep the cold out of the basement of the coach. I have been below 0 in my coach but all coaches are different. I try not to take the Bornfree out in freezing weather though.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can easily go to mid-20s for several hours with no problems. One windy night we did make a point of leaving all the cabinet doors open. Even an unheated FW tank has a lot of heat capacity and will take a long time to drop even close to freezing. You will be losing enough heat through the walls to keep the plumbing good for a long time, as long as the trailer is heated.

It's a good idea to disconnect and drain the water hose if you are on city water, and run off the freshwater tank.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did a couple nights at 19 - 20 degrees without freezing anything - then we headed further south.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
If midday temp get back to the 40's even 30 should not be a problem for a day or two. We have our rig in a storage yard no heat no problem.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our previous '95 Coachmen Class A did fine at -4 deg.F last January, with just a very minor water line freeze up. Your Leprechaun should be fine at low 30's temps.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Great! Thanks gang!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
NekkidFish wrote:
Do we need to take steps, or be worried if the temps go down to 32 degrees?
No. Only if it gets into the mid 20s for several hours. If the worry factor is there, just leave the furnace and WH on.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman