cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travasak/RV Superbag opinions?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
As an alternative to trying to keep a RV bed made (which is difficult with the two part mattress with the motorhome I'm looking at), I'm wondering if Travasaks or RV Superbags are acceptable replacements. Anyone use these and have good/bad/ugly things to mention about them?
14 REPLIES 14

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Every now and then we wash our Travasak (sheets removed) in the extra large washer and dryer at a laundromat.

I would just call Superbag and ask them about washing instructions.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
The way we do it, I sleep up top, DW on the dinette. We each use 2 sleeping bags, zipped together. And, as those stock cushions are pretty thin, we each have a 4 in thick, trifold memory foam mattress, which we use on top of the existing mattress. They fold up and stow very easy, as do the sleeping bags.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Can one open a Superbag and hose it out on a clothesline if it gets too dirty? I know it has inner sheets, but I think it can't hurt to wash it and let it dry.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo and 2gypsies The difference between Travasaks or Superbabes and regular sleeping bags is that the former have top and bottom sheets velcroed to the bag. The sheets can be removed and washed.
Advanced RV Sprinter

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Sleeping bags can get unsanitary after a period of time. Make sure you can wash them.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We have Travasaks on our twin beds that are both against walls. For years we used regular sheets, blankets and comforters, but it was just too much of a hassle to make the beds.

We got the Travasaks 6 or so years ago and love them. They are not like sleeping bags since they are wider and one can roll around easily in them. In the morning a little zipping and straightening and the beds are made. Would never go back.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
All good points. I toss and turn too much to be happy in a sleeping bag, all things being said, so it might just mean I find a way to slap sheets on an oddball mattress size. I do keep sleeping bags around, but when it is cold, I just use them as additional blankets, completely unzipping them.

I might buy a queen size just to have, as if it does work and I can get used to it, it will save a lot of time going from slide in to slide out, mattress open, and ready for sleeping.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, we only slept once in a bag since we went to hard sided campers, second trip in our Caveman the overhead bed, had sheet and blankets and we have never looked back!
Never would be comfortable in a bag on a bed, sheets are much easer to clean and keep clean.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

GailS
Explorer
Explorer
We have used our queen size Travasak for 11 years (115,000 miles). It has both a summer side and a winter side to the comforter weight. You can also zip it all the way up, part way, or down completely. It looks as new as the day we purchased it. We did buy an extra set of sheets and pillow cases. Both the comforters and sheets wash beautifully.
Some like the concept others don't. Worth every penny to us.

Don't have any experience with the Superbag or the newer microfiber fabric.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
The Travasak worked great for us - easy to set up and stow away. Sleeping bag doubles are easier to use than singles because you don't get tangled up in it.
Advanced RV Sprinter

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using a Travasak for many years and love it. We started using it because we had a corner bed (hard to make). Now we even use it on our queen walk-around bed.

As 2gypsies noted, you have to like sleeping in a sleeping bag. But since there are sheets, it doesn't really feel like a regular sleeping bag to me. However, if you like nice tight sheets on your bed, this may not be for you. I don't know how the newer Superbags are, but in our Travasak, the sheet is plenty big, so can bunch up a little here and there. Doesn't really bother us though.

I like the fact that I can zip it up half-way or more and my spouse can't steal the blanket!

It took me a few tries to figure out a good system for putting the velcro sheets back into the sleeping bag after washing. Now it's a breeze.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Have the RV Superbag, and it works well. Lots of choices on colors, if that matters. Overall, I'm happy with the product.

The RV Superbag is rather pricey, and I might have gone with Travasak if they were operating when I was buying. I believe they were a casualty of the recession, but it's been reported here that Travasak is again available through Camping World. Not sure if they just bought the name or whether the original company is involved any more. I haven't seen any reports on whether the new product is comparable to the old. The original Travasaks received good marks here as I recall it.
2013 RT 190-Popular

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A nice warm comforter is simple for bed-making. Have you ever slept in a sleeping bag? I always got tangled up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Travasak has been out of business for quite a while.

as far as i know, RV Superbag is the only game in town anymore.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes