cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

walmart overnight parking

turtlerb
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a link or knowledge of which Walmart's allow overnight camping?
33 REPLIES 33

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksbowman wrote:
I always check with the store and manager to make sure it is OK. I also make sure to do some shopping there to make my stay good for the store for their kindness. All my stays overnight have been good and greatly appreciated.

^^^^^^ THIS! ^^^^^^^
#1. Be respectful with the store staff and ask, don't assume!!! If you are told it isn't allowed, if not offered an alternative, ask if they know of options.

#2. Shop! Maybe just snacks for the evening, but Wal-Mart is a business.

#3. Limit your stay! keep it to about 8 hours or less, you are just there for rest, not camping.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
another Cracker Barrel vote. close at 10 .. open at 6. most park behind the building. less noise. no traffic.

Hired patrol by car.
free US map with locations with and without overnight. and phone numbers.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
For a list by state and in a couple of formats which include one that you can import to most GPS units, go to this site.

Walmart overnight parking

The files on this site are frequently updated and are maintained by the same person that does for the Yahoo group.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
I refuse to shop at Walmart so I don't think it's right for me to use their parking lot. We use Cracker Barrel when possible. Great place for breakfast before hitting the road.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
6200 miles on a recent trip, used a Cabela's in Avon Ohio and of course Cracker Barrels along the way. We always check with a manager prior to parking it out their for your stay. We have also used truck stops, ask a restaurant owner after your dinner, etc. We also utilize our Passport America membership as well as Good Sam. We stayed in three places along our journey with P A and paid $11, $16, and $$$???. Flushed and filled as well, had electric too! Some of the sporting goods places will allow like cabela's. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
very few West Coast Walmarts allow overnight parking, usually because of city ordinances.

some of the inland ones, in more rural areas, do allow it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
turtlerb wrote:
Does anyone have a link or knowledge of which Walmart's allow overnight camping?

All Walmarts allow overnight stays. However, the towns / cities in which some Walmarts are located have prohibited overnight parking.

In those municipalities it's also prohibited to park overnight at the Lowe's, Home Depots and other parking lots too generally.

NOT correct!

Two examples:

Pismo Beach, CA
NO overnight parking. Security will politely direct you to either
an office complex or the K-mart about a 1/2 mile away - within the city limits.

City of The Dalles, OR
Manager and another employee will come out to your RV and politely explain why *WalMart* requested the city to enact a NO overnight parking ordinance.
(Folks sleeping on the ground, in tents, etc. Think: "liability"!)

They will tell you how to reach a spot used by truckers and RVers a few miles down the road.

Both of these Wallys are *not* 24 hour stores.
When the store closes, you are expected to leave the parking lot.

Also - at Pismo - the "look for other RVs" doesn't work, as there were others (already there before closing), who were told by store employees, "sure - go right ahead, no problem".
("Managers" are not always available!)

Best bet is don't "bug" the manager - he/she is not a campground host - just look for a 24 hr Wally *with* RVs in pk lot..:W

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Careful with the ones in towns where the teens use it as a turn around for their pick ups without mufflers. And of course that is where they empty the bottle out and set it in the parking lot. Can be wild on especially Friday night.

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
Rvparky is an app or website and it is great. Always double check by calling ahead.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always check with the store and manager to make sure it is OK. I also make sure to do some shopping there to make my stay good for the store for their kindness. All my stays overnight have been good and greatly appreciated.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
turtlerb wrote:

All Walmarts allow overnight stays. However, the towns / cities in which some Walmarts are located have prohibited overnight parking.

In those municipalities it's also prohibited to park overnight at the Lowe's, Home Depots and other parking lots too generally.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry a recent Walmart Road Atlas, and my wife calls ahead in order to ask for the store manager. She gets the info from the person in charge, at the store. Sometimes, she gets the phone number by using her iphone.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try the RV Parky App it shows the ones that do and don't allow overnight parking.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We don't stay at Walmarts very often but when we do we ALWAYS call the store ahead of time to make sure. Like others have said Alstays isn't always correct. We had one instance where they told us they "usually" let people stay BUT because of remodeling and storage units taking up precious space they were temporarily rejecting "campers".

Dan

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
This site is not totally accurate but it's a good place to start. Read the "Full Details" on each Walmart listing for a little more information about the ones you are considering. http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis