cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When do you guys connect / disconnect when traveling?

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to tow my car behind my class a for the first time and was wondering.
Do you guys disconnect your toad inside the campground? It seems to me it might be tight in some campgrounds and you would be blocking the road. Do any of you pull over before the RV park and disconnect outside? What about when you leave?
Thanks, Mike
Mike
19 REPLIES 19

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends. If a pull through and I have no need to use my towed vehicle, I'll just pull through.

But more often, in the public campgrounds I use, the sites are back-in. So I'll find some wide area or parking area between the entrance and the site, disconnect the tow there, park it, and go on to my campsite. Once set up, I'll walk back to my towed vehicle, and bring it to the campsite if there is room, or leave it in overflow parking it not.

I've been in several commercial RV parks where the place I would do this separation, and park my towed vehicle, is outside the campground.

You do what you have to do, as the situation requires.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
When your running solo like I am, you do the best you can. After checking in, go to your site location. If it's a pull thru, you just pull in. If it's a back in site, you pull over to one side of the road or street, (don't block the street)unhook, back your rig into the site, and then move the toad.

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great information everyone.
Mike

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree... there are public parks where they will charge extra if your towed vehicle is not connected to the motorhome when entering. Glacier Nat'l Park is one. We were disconnected and asked to pay extra. There happened to be a big turning around spot just beyond the entrance booth. We told them we'd just turn around which we did. We then hooked up the Jeep and came through again - only one fee. ๐Ÿ™‚

Michigan state parks don't care if you're disconnected or not. The towed vehicle is an extra fee.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the others have said, it varies from park to park. Once in a great while we'll unhook before entering a park, but that usually only occurs if we stop to refuel very close to the park. It gives us something to do besides watching the dollars roll up on the pump... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We usually ask at the desk. They know their park and have lots of experience.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I travel alone and don't look for opportunities to make a walk back to pick up my toad so I don't ask. I figure the mgr can see (if it's not already part of the check in process - 1 person registering 2 plates) that I have a toad and if there is a problem with excessively tight quarters, the mgr should volunteer that info. I just drive to my site and stop 1 or 2 sites before I get there, hop out disconnect, move the toad a bit out of the way if it is blocking the drive, back the MH in and then park the toad. Even if it is not a straight drive, it takes no time to disconnect - like maybe 1 to 1.5 minutes. Less time anyway than most folks take to back their fiver or TT into a site. OP, don't make something an issue that isn't.
www.putt10.net

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
It's the usual answer: "It Depends"

Sometimes you can get all the way to your site, or even pull-through, before you need to consider unhooking. If it's an overnight only, you may not need to actually disconnect.

Other times the RV park or its sites are too tight to allow the process, and it is easier to disconnect out near the registration area, or occasionally somewhere outside the park.

In some cases I would meet Mrs Obg and the toad down the road after I fueled up the "A".

Just another thing to be considered in the daily routine of traveling with a toad.

What he said.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Depends. We ask when we check in the park office. If we have a pull through we don't unhook. If it's a back in, we ask if there is room near the site or should we unhook at the office.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
whit wrote:
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to tow my car behind my class a for the first time and was wondering.
Do you guys disconnect your toad inside the campground? It seems to me it might be tight in some campgrounds and you would be blocking the road. Do any of you pull over before the RV park and disconnect outside? What about when you leave?
Thanks, Mike

we're in a 40' MH towing a Jeep Liberty so 60' +/- overall. we usually have no trouble finding a park/CG with pull-thrus large enough for us. been doing this RV thing since 1986 and have yet to find a park so small that we had to stop somewhere and disconnect the toad before entering the park. you can always disconnect up front by the office. if we're staying longer than a night or two we'll disconnect for errands, etc. if it's just for the one night we leave the toad connected.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I unhook at the last possible moment. Yes, sometimes I am blocking the road doing that, but not for long. I unhook, back the RV into the spot, move the car.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
Since this has always been our routine, I do have a question relating to this. Since we are towing upon arrival, I don't think we have ever been asked to pay an extra vehicle fee. Are folks charged for the car if it is detached?

Norm

Some states will charge for an extra vehicle in their state parks if it isn't towed in. Some will charge (like MI) even if it's still connected.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Norm...I have come across that same rule at a Nat'l Forest campground in AZ. I doubt that it would ever happen at a private RV park.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
There's usually a wide area, either at the check in office or just after it so other RV's can park or turn around. This is where we usually hook up or unhook the towd. Once you are in the campsite access lanes, you're going to block the road unless you have a pull through. Also, if you're solo, you can leave the towd there and walk back after you parked the MH.

Since this has always been our routine, I do have a question relating to this. Since we are towing upon arrival, I don't think we have ever been asked to pay an extra vehicle fee. Are folks charged for the car if it is detached?

Norm
F1BNorm