cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where To Dump Black Water When Dry Camping

Eddiegnz1
Explorer
Explorer
we will be dry camping on a friends land that is over 1,000 acres in Florida. WE'll actually live there for a year or maybe even two years. The property owner (my good friend) said I could simply dig a ten to 12 foot deep hole and put a 4 foot by 4 foot piece of plywood over the hole. The plywood would function as a lid and decrease odors from escaping because the plywood would be almost entire buried under dirt. The only part that would not be buried is the plumbing part that attaches to my black water tubing/line. The hole would be about 18 to 24 inch diameter. Then I could attach/install the plumbing fixture on to the plywood and then hook up my black water hose to the fixture. Then each time i dump, just remove the plywood and bury the black water with 12 to 18 inches of dirt and repeat layering like this until the final layer of dirt is 24 inches thick. Then dig another 12 foot deep hole else where to start a new dump site.

It's his property, he's not an experienced Dry Camper nor experienced in RV'ing. Which is why i'm posting this question to you more experienced folks.

Can his plan work?
have you ever tried something similar?

Please share your suggestions, recommendation, advice. Thank you kindly in advance.

Eddie
107 REPLIES 107

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will sum up this discussion this way, the first step for any Third World country is to separate their water from their waste stream.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
shelbyfv wrote:
Has O/P been back to his thread?
no
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
CavemanCharlie wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Lantley wrote:
It wasn't that long ago every house had an out house yet somehow we evolved and are all here!

Outstanding observation and statement!

This is an unassailable position that should put this discussion to bed ... in favor of the OP going ahead and dealing with their own black tank waste as they see fit on adequate private acreage. By the way, 1000 acres is way beyond "adequate private acreage". Most private outhouses were on far less land. ๐Ÿ˜‰

There were millions of less people in the country when every house had a outhouse.

Something to think about.

So now there are millions more people. That require millions of more animals to feed them. I don't think those additional animals know how to use a toilet. Rumor has it they are all dumping on the ground right out in the open! On less than 1000 acres.
There not even using a homemade septic. What's good enough for the goose is good enough for me.
Something else to think about.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
City folk vs country folk......love it!

Some of y'all need to get out of the city more.....

Question to the nay Sayers, what do you do when you have to take a leak or drop a deuce in the woods? Hold it til you run back to "civilization"? Bag it and throw it in your pack with lunch and the compass?
Here's a nice little fact to gross out the city slickers. The entire Victoria BC area dumps ALL their raw sewage into the water. Have been forever! We just got the contract to build the first sewer treatment plant there, lol.
(Better stop eating that wild caught salmon and halibut from the strait of Juan de fuca. Them fish get fat on recycled poutine and Kokanee!)

I just caught a halibut out on Middle Bank on May 4th. It was delicious!!!
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
There is simply NOTHING more entertaining than a black tank thread! Drama, emotion, confrontation, name calling, everything to keep us riveted to our screens!

๐Ÿ˜‰
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
City folk vs country folk......love it!

Some of y'all need to get out of the city more.....

Question to the nay Sayers, what do you do when you have to take a leak or drop a deuce in the woods? Hold it til you run back to "civilization"? Bag it and throw it in your pack with lunch and the compass?
Here's a nice little fact to gross out the city slickers. The entire Victoria BC area dumps ALL their raw sewage into the water. Have been forever! We just got the contract to build the first sewer treatment plant there, lol.
(Better stop eating that wild caught salmon and halibut from the strait of Juan de fuca. Them fish get fat on recycled poutine and Kokanee!)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
If you need a job there are plenty of opening in India picking up the human waste... but then you'll have a shorter life.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/world/asia/india-waste-scavengers/

It's interesting how many folks here seem to think poor sanitation is not a health hazard.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you need a job there are plenty of opening in India picking up the human waste... but then you'll have a shorter life.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/world/asia/india-waste-scavengers/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
CavemanCharlie wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Lantley wrote:
It wasn't that long ago every house had an out house yet somehow we evolved and are all here!

This is an unassailable position that should put this discussion to bed ... in favor of the OP going ahead and dealing with their own black tank waste as they see fit on adequate private acreage. By the way, 1000 acres is way beyond "adequate private acreage". Most private outhouses were on far less land. ๐Ÿ˜‰

There were millions of less people in the country when every house had a outhouse.

Watch the TED Talk I posted earlier about the 500 million people in India alone who do their business outside. Then add all the people in Appalachia, Mississippi, Lousiana, Georgia, the great Southwest, China, the continent of Africa, well, you get my idea. Oh, and don't forget all the animals that we produce now so people can pig out on beef and chicken three times a day.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Lantley wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Lantley wrote:

I don't think the population was that much less. They certainly were not on 1000 acres.

I think you'll find the vast majority of homes had gotten rid of an outhouse as a principle means of sewage disposal by WWII, the population of the USA in 1940 was ~132 million.

Today it is nearly triple that.

And that changes the argument.... errr... How?

As usual all the naysaying nannies are telling everyone how dangerous the world is and how we will mess it all up if we even dare to fart...
It's getting a bit tiresome folks...

A little bit of **** scattered here and there even in "unholy" quantities isn't going to affect this planet - it is way more resilient than than you have been told. The entire water supply for North America will not be disaffected because the OP is going to dump his minuscule amount of waste in a small hole in the ground in one and a half square miles of Florida.

I know it's all a bit "icky" for those of the weaker constitution but poop and grey water are not actually unstoppable biological weapons... Trust me on this because if you lot were right we wouldn't need nuclear weapons... We'd simply throw our excrement at one another...

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem about posting about stuff like "should I do this", is that someone on the Net will be doing searches to find the property, and will be turning the owner in. I've see that in YouTube videos where someone with his homestead made a makeshift septic tank system. Next video was about how he got a visit from the constable with a hefty fine because someone turned him in.

If I had 1000 acres, and for some reason I couldn't put in a sewage system, I'd just put a cassette toilet in and keep about 7-10 cassettes on site. Graywater from the shower and such would just run into the ground since that is legal in rural Texas. As for the stuff from the cassette toilet, I just load the full ones into my truck, take them to a dump station and empty them one by one.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, you can dig an 8 foot deep, 4 foot diameter hole, line it with cinder blocks, cover it with 2X12s and dirt, and install an overflow made of 4 inch perforated PVC pipe (formerly known as a "cesspool"), and quite probably get away with it for a long time. In fact, that is exactly what our house in Hungry Horse had when I was a kid. That was a long time ago, though.
But, it would be better to:
KNOW the laws, rules, and regulations.
COMPLY with all those laws, rules, and regulations.
DOCUMENT your compliance with all the laws, rules, and regulations.

Of course, it is entirely up to the individual. BUT, if anyone chooses to ignore the laws, rules, and regulations, please do us the favor of not coming on these forums complaining that somebody turned you in for non-compliance and it cost you several thousand dollars. Some of us quite likely will NOT be very sympathetic!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
JaxDad wrote:
Lantley wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Lantley wrote:

I don't think the population was that much less. They certainly were not on 1000 acres.

I think you'll find the vast majority of homes had gotten rid of an outhouse as a principle means of sewage disposal by WWII, the population of the USA in 1940 was ~132 million.

There is a community close to me known as Oella,MD. Some houses had outhouses until the 80's. The houses are not on 1000 acre lots.
Somehow the community survived.
Oella,MD outhouses
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
So... popped back in after reading the first few pages awhile ago.

Has this pooping situation been solved yet?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Lantley wrote: