cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window woes

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a three year old winnebago View. The window glass has water spots and I have tried everything short of acid to clean them up. It doesn't really cause a problem but in an anal sense I would like to solve the problem. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks john McD
20 REPLIES 20

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help..Very much appreciated. McD

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
0000 steel wool, brass preferred but regular will work. It must be 0000. This is what many detailers use. I have done it for years with no issues. Use the steel wool, clean with any window cleaner, (Windex, etc.) then two coats of RainX and the glass will be like new again.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Isn't CLR made for that purpose?
bumpy
Yes - works well too.

That is what I use. I had spots that vinegar didn't remove and CLR did - with very little effort.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Isn't CLR made for that purpose?
bumpy
Yes - works well too.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
I've used this method with success:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXS4pegAnN4

quick and easy.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I use straight vinegar if I have that kind of spots. Rinse well after the spots are gone.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Keepers Friend works.
cpaulsen

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
I have wet sanded windows and fogged headlights using a high grit sandpaper like 2000 grit or above. Rub very lightly and immediately follow up with non ammonia glass cleaner

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
McQuires, possibly, makes a product to remove spots from car windows. I Haven't noticed the commercial on tv in a bit though.
Check an auto parts store.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
McQuires, possibly makes a product to remove spots from car windows. I Haven't noticed the commercial on tv in a bit though.
Check an auto parts store.

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
or option B., just not be so anal and ignore the spots. I wouldn't be taking any steel wool to my windows.
bumpy

Bump.......0000 steel wool will absolutely do no damage to window glass. Try it, you'll like it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara Atlinburg wrote:
Our car sat out at the beach for a few weeks while we went on a trip with friends. When we got back the windows were covered with water spots from sprinklers and salt spray.

When we got home I sprayed windex on the glass real heavy. Then used a razor blade and slid it across the glass gently. Every bit of the water spots came right off. No scratches due to the windex made it slippery.
This is a method for disaster. One catch of the razor on glass and you'll have a scratch. It's totally unnecessary to use a razor blade on glass.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Barbara_Atlinbu
Explorer
Explorer
Our car sat out at the beach for a few weeks while we went on a trip with friends. When we got back the windows were covered with water spots from sprinklers and salt spray.

When we got home I sprayed windex on the glass real heavy. Then used a razor blade and slid it across the glass gently. Every bit of the water spots came right off. No scratches due to the windex made it slippery.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
white vinegar and 0000 steel wool (brass wool if you can find it) and lots of elbow grease