cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your Thoughts on Camping with a smaller Travel Trailer

Campin__Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for all the questions. Hubby and I are doing so much research and getting opinions from others on things has helped us immensely! Thank you again to everyone who has helped and offered suggestions.

We have been looking at the Jayco 27 RLS's which have an overall length of 31' 6". My husband has never camped before and while he has pulled boats and flatbed trailers, he is concerned about pulling and backing something so long. (We have a F250 Super Duty truck.) We are wondering what your thoughts are on an adult couple camping in a smaller TT. We won't be fulltimers. Just random camping trips and 1 or 2 week long trips. Are there any couples here that camp comfortably and HAPPILY ๐Ÿ˜‰
in a smaller TT, say 24'-26"? What are your experiences with that? Thank you!

ETA: Our 2 year old grandson will come with us sometimes.
49 REPLIES 49

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with toedtoes, that it depends on your definition of camping. We've got 5 people in a smaller trailer than what you are looking at. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And we had those same 5 in a pop-up trailer prior to that. Although that only lasted 2 years and we realized the PUP was too small for 2 adults and 3 kids. (Prior to that we had 2 adults and 2 kids in the PUP for 7 years) ๐Ÿ˜„

We wanted something that would fit into well treed, private, non-parking lot style spots so we wanted shorter. We mad it longer by getting one with a rear slide. So we don't hog the width in narrow spots with side slides, and the rear slide can go over stumps, bushes, etc. if the spot isn't as long as we'd like. Ours is 24' hitch to bumper for travelling and 29' with the rear slide extended.
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I know plenty of folks who enjoy camping in TTs from 13' to 17'. DW and I started with a 23' with slide, then I replaced it with a 17', then a 16', then a hardsided popup. Small is good! It lets me get into small spaces and it's really easy to tow and maneuver.

All you really need in a trailer is a place to sleep, a place to sit (eating or otherwise), a place to cook, and (most would say) a bathroom. You can find all of that in a 16' TT.

It's funny, 10 years ago I said I was done tent camping, but next week I'm planning to go tent camping again and I am looking forward to it.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I get along fine in our North Trail 21FBS. We've gone 11 days w/o hookups and this year it'll be a full 2 weeks. FHU campgrounds are easy.......
Caveat - we look at the TT as "base camp." We'll eat breakfast there but then we're gone for the day and return for dinner. And the dinette's on a slide, giving us some extra room if we're rained in for a day or two.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campin'_Nana wrote:
The tent was when I was in my early 20's and I'm 50 now. Never again...LOL!

I just meant that for most people the "never again" part of the tent is the set up, sleeping on the ground, and the rain. If you were happy in a tent as a family, then you'll be fine in a small trailer as a family - you'll just have more comfortable beds and a bathroom.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any couples here that camp comfortably and HAPPILY in a smaller TT, say 24'-26"?
Ours is even smaller - 23' all together. We wouldn't have it any other way. We wanted the very smallest trailer we could find that had dedicated beds separate from the couch area. We don't even have a slide and we don't find it cramped at all. We spend a lot of time in our trailer as we like to be with our 2 cats when we're not out hiking or exploring.

It's all about the floorplan. Is there a bottleneck where 2 people can't pass one another? Can one person be sleeping while the other is reading on the couch? Ask questions that matter to you...

We don't feel a camping trailer needs to be as big as an apartment - and we like being together. ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Campin__Nana
Explorer
Explorer
The tent was when I was in my early 20's and I'm 50 now. Never again...LOL!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campin'_Nana wrote:
In a past life, I had a 20' TT with just a dinette, no couch or recliners. 2 adults and 2 kids traveled in that and it was fine. We're older now, though and wonder about having a comfortable space. Heck, we used to camp in tents at one point, but I'm not going back there! (Last time I camped in a tent, it was pouring down rain for days. Everything was soaked and in the middle of the night, my then 5 year old son had to pee. I put on my shoes and carried him outside and let him stand on my feet in his pj's and bare feet. He peed all over me and him. LOL!! That night I vowed to get a TT!) ๐Ÿ˜„

If you're used to tents, etc., then I don't think you'll have a problem with a small trailer. But, you might rent one and try it out for a weekend before making the purchase - even if you just camp out in your driveway.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Campin__Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Great replies and it gives us a lot to think about. Thanks!

I should clarify, that by "happy", I didn't mean my husband and I couldn't share the same space and be happy. I just meant if you're stuck inside for 3 days straight because of bad weather, we probably would want enough space where we weren't tripping over one another. We love to play board games, etc. It's such a hard decision to decide which length TT to get.

In a past life, I had a 20' TT with just a dinette, no couch or recliners. 2 adults and 2 kids traveled in that and it was fine. We're older now, though and wonder about having a comfortable space. Heck, we used to camp in tents at one point, but I'm not going back there! (Last time I camped in a tent, it was pouring down rain for days. Everything was soaked and in the middle of the night, my then 5 year old son had to pee. I put on my shoes and carried him outside and let him stand on my feet in his pj's and bare feet. He peed all over me and him. LOL!! That night I vowed to get a TT!) ๐Ÿ˜„

NewTTcamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned a camper since 1996, yes 1996. We raised our kids camping. As they grew they up they transitioned to tents. We traveled to Oregon the last two years. Our last trip was 7 weeks with two large dogs that slept inside. This year we are moving up!!! My point is, if you both enjoy camping you can make anything work. I just want a good bed and not trip over my dogs any more. Lol

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Campin'_Nana wrote:
Are there any couples here that camp comfortably and HAPPILY ๐Ÿ˜‰
in a smaller TT, say 24'-26"? What are your experiences with that?

Sorry, but I have to chuckle at your definition of a 24' - 26' trailer as being "smaller" ... I guess for some it would be but we downsized from a 24' triple bunk bed family trailer to a 19' couple's trailer and haven't any regrets at all. It has all the amenities of a larger unit but is just that much easier to tow and can be placed on virtually any campsite without any effort at all. I park it here at the house during the camping season and use it pretty well every day, even for just chillin' away from all the racket going on in the house. Certainly if we lived in it for months at a time we'd want something larger but for weekend to week, two week long trips we just don't have the need for anything larger. It's all in the eye of the beholder. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I neglected to point out that we don't consider visitors a reason to get a bigger RV. For my sight, once a child/grandchild, reaches the age of around 15, they want their own space and tents fulfill that need nicely. Oh they are happy to use the bathroom in the middle of the night or raid the kitchen anytime of the day but that's about it. They are not gonna sit in the RV with ya watching a National Geographic Special.

Something to consider.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Every foot left off is less roof to leak, less seals to maintain, something less to go wrong, less to wash and wax, and less to initially $. Possibly less expensive to store.

I think there are many who bite off too much-too much hassle-not enough use. Get what you need, consider guests and grandkids, but don't err on the side of too much.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Our TT is "only" 26' long overall and it fits out needs perfectly. We've enjoyed it for 11 years and have no need for anything bigger.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I always preferred the smaller units. They're easier to tow, more campsites available, storage was cheaper etc. As for the cabin fever or getting in the way of each other, you can always step outside, this is what camping is about? If you need a quiet spot for a nap or reading, you can sit in the tow car.

Norm
F1BNorm

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Two thoughts not yet shared. 1. there are some USFS campgrounds where longer trailers simply not allowed due to length. 2. Your swing space is larger. That is the space from reat trailer axle to rear bumper which swings as you turn. It is a preference thing. We often camp 6 people in our 19 hybrid but would ditch it in a minute if we could pull more weight. Best of luck.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)