cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use continuously connected water hose?

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 2015 Pleasure Way Excell. It was used. All works except for the fresh water system. It was delivered to me with a full fresh water tank and maybe that should have been a clue. I used only the fresh water tank on my maiden 2 day camping trip. I didn't want to carry that much water. Next time out and I'm still out, I hooked the camp water to the fresh water intake and thought all was ok until.i saw water pouring out of the fresh water tank overflow. I had to stop using direct water feed and work through the tanks. Is there a valve that camp water should close to avoid interaction with fresh water tank? Thanks if you can help. Bob
15 REPLIES 15

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
ScottG wrote:
The check valve in the pump isn't working. You can add a separate one or take apart the pump, clean it and it will probably work again.

If the check valve in the pump isn't working, it won't work right when on the tank either. Every time the pump turns off, all of the pressure would back flow into the tank turning the pump back on.

X2.

The check valves (plural) are key to diaphragm style RV pumps. Without them you can't pump anything.

There's a check valve to prevent suction from the pressure side and one to prevent pressure from blowing back into the tank.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A thought happens:

Many RV's have a "Quick Fill" valve or a valve that does the same thing.. Here is how the "Quick FIll" works on MY RV

It is a quarter turn 3-way valve, in the Normal position water is fed to the HOUSE post water pump and I can use city water just fine

In the FILL position it is sent instead to the fresh water tank to fill it.

Now. In truth I'd rather have a "T" with a simple valve to do this job (And if it ever fails that's what I will put in) Some RV's come that way as well.

But check all valves in the wet bay.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
Gravity feed for fresh water holding tank. Tank overflows when trying to bypass need for fresh water tank.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found a Pleasure Way owner to ask about this. Theirs has a separate "gravity fill" as shown in the diagram on Page 1.

Does yours? In other words, do you fill your fresh water tank by directing the discharge of a hose down a filler pipe? Or, from the hose you connect at a campsite?

If you are supposed to fill with a "gravity fill" and your campground water connection is overflowing the fresh water (FW) tank, then I'd suspect a check valve as noted above.

If you are supposed to fill via your campground connection, then I think you have a tank-filling valve in the wrong position. Our coach fills from the campground connection, and if I have the valve in "Fill" it overflows onto the ground when it's full.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
You should ask this question on the Class B forum - I'm sure one of the Pleasure Way owners can easily help you with this issue. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
Will try to locate check valve on return. Much thanks for thoughts.
Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
The check valve in the pump isn't working. You can add a separate one or take apart the pump, clean it and it will probably work again.

If the check valve in the pump isn't working, it won't work right when on the tank either. Every time the pump turns off, all of the pressure would back flow into the tank turning the pump back on.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
You may have a water control panel somewhere. Our previous motorhome had 1 water inlet connection for all water needs: city water use, to fill the tank, to sanitize the system and winterize the system. There were 5 levers that could be opened or closed depending on what we wanted to do.

Using the fresh water tank was called Normal, 2 levers had to be open while the other 3 were closed. There was another called City Water Fill which was another combination of levers opened and closed, this would fill the fresh water tank. There was also one called City Water Use which was also 2 levers open and 3 closed. This is how we set up the control panel when at a campground with water hookups.

Some folks don't like to use campground water hookups. They will fill their fresh water tank with the campground water and then run off that. Fill and empty as needed. We do like to travel with a full or almost full fresh water tank. I like to go prepared and having water at our disposal is nice. The added weight of 40 gallons of fresh water isn't much of concern for me.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2008 Model has a manual fill port for the fresh water tank where I have to bring up a 5-gallon container and lift up to pour down into the fresh water tank fill cap...

I suspect the newer trailers have a WATER VALVE PANEL where you can direct water from the city water port to also fill the fresh water tank. Normally the water setup will be your water requirements will come from your CITY WATER port when you are at the camp grounds with water connection. The city water provides the necessary water pressure and the on-board water pump is not required. I canuse all of my water spigots on the trailer with water pressure provided by the city water connection. I always have an external water hose hooked up to spray and clean things with on the outside of the trailer.

The Fresh water tank in my setup is only used along with the water pump to provide water inside the trailer. I never turn on my water pump when connected to CITY WATER...

My water flow setup has a couple of one way water flow vales to allow both City Water Connection or FRESH WATER Tank and Water Pump operations to work.

This is my simple water flow setup..

Google Image

maybe all of this will give you an idea on what to look for in your case...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Mine has a two position switch labeled something like NORMAL and POWER FILL. In the NORMAL position water goes thru the pipes for normal use. In the POWER FILL position water goes to the fresh water tank for filling.

This.

You need to find out how it is SUPPOSED to work before you go tearing things apart based on suggestions here from people who KNOW what the problem is......when they know no such thing.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Mine has a two position switch labeled something like NORMAL and POWER FILL. In the NORMAL position water goes thru the pipes for normal use. In the POWER FILL position water goes to the fresh water tank for filling.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
On mine, there's a check valve that closes off the onboard tanks if there's city water. If that's the problem, easy repair.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
The water fill valve may be bad allowing it to fill the fresh water tank. The check valve on the water pump may be bad.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain