cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging a Cordless Drill on 12V?

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
So I have a new 20v cordless drill to drop the jacks on my trailer. Naturally it came with the 110v charger for plugging in at home. I don't intend on setting up an inverter in my rig. For my 18v computer I have an inverter that plugs into my cigarette lighter on my work truck. Is there such an inverter to plug into a cigarette lighter to charge a 20v drill?
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
28 REPLIES 28

MrWizard
RickW
I'm glad it worked for you
My experience was different, but I was not running up jacks
I was drilling holes, and converting 18v to 12v
Did not provide the needed torque the drill would stall
Each situation is different, I was thinking of full load torque
Not of the jacks, which was the topic of discussion...My mistake
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
There are way too many different tool batteries. I wonder how we managed to get AA, AAA, C and D battery standards. I guess a standard tool battery would cut into company profits, though.
Ironically... If you open up a tool battery, you'll find that most of them are stuffed with what appear to be standard AA, C or D NiCD or NiMH rechargeable batteries. They're soldered together in series to produce the desired output voltage (each one contributes 1.2v).
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
There are way too many different tool batteries. I wonder how we managed to get AA, AAA, C and D battery standards. I guess a standard tool battery would cut into company profits, though.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you've got a dying cordless battery, find a Batteries Plus store or similar - they will rebuild the pack for about half of what a new one costs. I've got a rebuilt pack & an OEM pack for my drill & the OEM one has pretty much given up while the rebuilt just keeps going & going. Gonna have the weak one rebuilt sometime soon.

cc

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
My hardwired 9.6v craftsman drill can blow a 35 amp ATC fuse if braked to a stop, but not a 40 amp one.

I'd not trust a ciggy plug to pass 10 amps for any duration.

My first hardwiring of a cordless drill, I used a 18 awg ciggy plug cord as it was all I had available, and the torque available was an absolute joke. And I had to wrap the ciggy plug fuse in aluminum foil the first time I used it.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Rick thanks for reply I believe all the lighter plugs are 15 amp,so I should be good to go
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi RWD

I do not know the amp draw-I don't have a DC clamp-on ammeter. I use the cigarette lighter plug that normally uses a 10 amp fuse (I think). If you need more amps, use heavier wire and the battery clamps like uncle bud above.

I can use the 12 volt circuit in the truck, camper or with a portable 12 volt battery. I can raise all 4 jacks with one small drill battery, which I believe has a capacity of 5 Ah.

I have a number of Ryobi tools that all use the same battery so it is cost effective for me to have the Li-ion batteries and chargers. They perform much better than the old nicads.

You can sometimes get a good deal on new Ryobi batteries around thanksgiving or after Christmas.

Hope this helps,
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
I know I am late to the conversation .
RickW do you have any idea how many amps the drill draws when on 12V
Can you use the camper batt? I also have the Ryobi and it seems the ni cads are on their way out.
I will conver one of my batts like you did before I throw a good drill away or have to buy a lithium bat and charger.My alt on the truck will provide up to 14.5 volts,
is it better to run off the truck.
Thanks
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
uncle_bud wrote:

This works for Me. I gutted a dead battery, and run some outdoor lighting cable to it. It used to have a trolling motor plug on the end and the camper had a receptacle on each side.

X2

MrWizard wrote:
thats good and works well
IF it was originally 12 v or 9v

won't be worth shinola on a 20v drill

the PC device is a DC - DC power converter, a dedicated device for laptops
have never seen one for cordless drills

just use a small 12>120v inverter

Mr. Wiz, is this your experience?

I'm glad I didn't read your comment before I tried it.

Mine is an 18 V drill and will crank the jacks right up on 12 V and high torque.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage465 wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
What brand is your new cordless drill? Most manufacturers make a battery charger designed for use with a 12v power supply. See this example from DeWalt.
That's it! That's exactly what I need! Mines a 20v DeWalt. All of my problems are solved............now where's that guy that sent the picture of the crank!
The Dewalt DCB119 will set you back almost $100. Seems like a lotta $$ and a bit of redundancy for just an occasional battery charge.

Could purchase this 300 watt PSW (pure sine wave) inverter for $102 to power your existing Dewalt charger plus the added flexibility to power other sensitive electronics.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think he is saying he has an 18 volt DC/DC converter for his computer

The answer to his quiestion is yes, Micro-Center among other computer stores sells a "Universal" computer adapter it is a DC/DC converter with adjustable voltage and a selection of "Tips" (plugs for the device) I'm sure it would work.

Radio Shack used to sell one as well (or two)

HOWEVER. what I'm not sure of is the proper voltage to set it at. .IF the drill is a 20 volt drill then you will need something higher (Perhaps 25 volts) to charge NOTE The Perhaps is not intended as instruction only example I can all but guarantee it is the WRONG voltage,, not sure what the proper feed is.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
This mostly for the jacks? Bah... just use the hand crank. A little exercise is good for the soul.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:

Excellent! Yes the trailer did come with one of those! But MAN! I have never seen such long winded jacks in my life. My old trailer had the original style B.A.L. jacks and I never needed nor cared about a cordless for those. This new trailer has the scissor type jacks and it took me several minutes each to crank down by hand. It was still too much money @ $1200.00 to get the power jack option.

You are better off with scissors jacks (powered or not), IMHO.

They can handle more weight and are more stable than non-scissor type Lippert powered jacks that I have. But I do have a weakness for the remote control ... :B
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned several smaller wattage (less than 350 watts) MSW inverters that stated in the documentation not to charge batteries with the inverter.

I too recommend getting a good PSW inverter.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)