cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Humming from Progressive Industires EMS 50 amp system

RVing_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
About 6 months ago I had Camping World install a Progressive Industries EMS 50amp system to our Montana Big Sky. During the last 2 weekend trips we have noticed a loud "hum" from the EMS unit.
At first I thought it was the converter.....replaced it twice (Progressive Dynamics warranty)but alas problem not resolved as I was replacing wrong unit.
What would cause the "hum"? I have placed my hand on the unit and there is a slight vibration....which I am sure is causing the hum.
Any ideas? I have not contacted Progressive Industries yet...will do that next week. Thought I'd ask the experts for your opinions!!
11 REPLIES 11

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
After you go through all the suggested regiments about cleaning the contacts to reduce the hum they will likely send you new contactor assembly. This will require you to disassemble and reinstall the new one. I hope it's in a convenient spot. When I reinstalled mine in our new rig I put plugs on each end to make it easier to remove and handle any future repairs if necessary.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RVing 4 FUN wrote:
During the last 2 weekend trips we have noticed a loud "hum" from the EMS unit.

At first I thought it was the converter.....replaced it twice (Progressive Dynamics warranty)but alas problem not resolved as I was replacing wrong unit.
What would cause the "hum"?

The answer is obvious ... your EMS unit hums because it doesn't know the words. :S

You're welcome! :B :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for this topic. I installed the same 50amp EMS unit this week and an esco ES50M-65N transfer switch, in the same under kitchen cabinet bay as the converter.

I just did the compressed air on the EMS unit and the noise is reduced.

I need to do the same on the ATS as well.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

RVing_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Good to know it isn't going to blow up the 5th wheel.
The hum is something that bothers my wife a lot more than me but it can be loud at times.
I will call PI sometime early next week as the unit is only about 6 months old and see what they suggest.
I like and will try the mouse pad idea this weekend to see what impact that has.
Great to have all you for resource folks. Get out and enjoy those units. Weather here in Oregon is darn near perfect!!
Thanks again for your help.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I am not saying that what we did at work to reduce armature hum in relays is feasible in RV converters, I'm just relating what we had to do.

All of our 120vac relays had a thin piece of steel welded to the armature where it touched the coil core. We had thousands of relays in use on the street and we had complaints from folks living nearby. It seams that some folks are highly susceptible to the 60Hz sound.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
The relay, probably needs to be changed. Call PI, they have a lifetime warranty that is excellent. As said the other company sucks.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed the 30 amp with remote display. I did notice a slight hum move a foot away you don't hear it. After retiring I worked for a company that built and repaired car washes they use a lot of AC powered relay a hum from them was common. My only concern is when you install one make sure the wires are fully in the terminal and tightened securely.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Dynamics are known to emit a hum. Especially if installed inside the RV. If you're on a "post" unit, you'll also hear the hum, but you need to be close to the unit to hear it. In other words, no worries!

By the way, Progressive Industries has a lifetime guarantee and great customer service, whereas "that other company" has a 1 year and lousy customer service!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I called PI on mine, they had me take apart the relay and blow out and dirt. When that didn't work they sent me another relay.

Edit... Changed to PI
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just the relay coil. PI has lifetime warranty if the noise is that annoying.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Mine does the same occasionally. Cannot hear it in the rig, but if I am standing outside by the compartment where it is installed i I can hear it in a quiet environment. Never worried about it.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure