cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing our trans filter in preparation for a long trip

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure if this belongs under DIY or TV, but here it is.

So, we have our first trip of 2016 coming up next week and though now would be as good of a time as any to replace the trans filter in the Suburban. We'll be towing about 1300 miles, so I'm running down my list of maintenance items and the trans filter is right near the top.

To get started, you need to drain the fluid from the transmission. I got lucky again and my pan has a drain plug, but if yours doesn't you'll need to strategically loosen bolts to allow it to drain from the front. Once the pan is off the filter pulls straight out and the new one pushes right back in.

Below is a list of parts and tools I used for this job:

- Transmission filter kit (includes filter, gasket and o-ring)
- ATF - our Suburban uses Dexron III
- Funnel
- 3/8" ratchet with various extensions
- 10mm socket
- Rags

Up next for the Suburban before our next journey is an oil change and brakes. This will get everything moving and stopping nicely.

Checkout our DIY video if interested:
https://youtu.be/E1qJrxkDCsA

And our related blog post:
http://www.rvcircus.com/preparing-trip-new-transmission-filter
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
18 REPLIES 18

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Debris isn't the only thing that can blog a fabric filter. Transmission fluid gets sludgy after getting hot for many miles. The effect was called (in the trade) "Morning Sickness" very slow response time ranging the selector DNR.

I am hoping the hideously expensive full synthetic MoPar fluid will help keep my Spirit's gizmo from premature Seppuku. That and a hellacious size trans cooler with a category 5 fan pushing air through it. @#$%^&! ONE ROW radiator. And no upgrades. Eliminating hot tranny oil will help.

This model car has a minimum of problems with the ECU and sensors. Yeah get a 2014 something...

"It bucks and stalls"
"Xsch lakma il pisto cray"
"Yes I know this is the highlands of Guatemala"
"Wakna poem manna xkra vistay nooem DHL"
"Delivery in 2weeks. A couple hundred dollars through DHL"
"ยกPishtay!"

So fortunate I am fluent in "Mam" idioma indigena since no one here speaks Spanish never mind English.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blacklane wrote:
I've done this a few times. It can be an awful mess. I recommend a big piece of cardboard under the pan to absorb the drips, which are everywhere.

However, I've never really found any debris in the filter, certainly nowhere near enough to worry about flow rate.

I think the new fluid is the important part of this job. The next time I do this, I'm planning on just having the system back-flushed with fresh fluid, which will replace more fluid than a drain-and-fill, and it will clean the filter somewhat.

That would be my choice, too. I was a mechanic for 7 years and have done several of these back before they put drain plugs in the transmission pan. Very messy. I use to hate doing them because it made a mess and they frequently leaked after someone messed with them.

If the pan is a lightweight metal one and not a cast pan they're really easy to bend. Don't over-tighten the pan bolts because it will damage the gasket and cause a leak. If you tighten them unevenly it will warp the pan and cause a leak.

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellertx5er wrote:
aruba5er wrote:
I'd wait until I got back. What happens if you develop a leak in a few days while on the road.
If it ain't broke (you know the rest)

Using this logic, are you saying that one should never perform PREVENTIVE maintenance prior to a long trip?

Some stuff, like an oil change, would be OK right up until leaving.

However, more complex maintenance which involves gaskets, etc. I would give at least a week before a trip in case of problems.

On my old Suburban, I had the trans fluid and filter changed. Three days later, erratic shifting started. The fluid change had dislodged some dirt and it partially plugged a screen filter on one of the shift solenoids. Luckily I was at home and had it fixed quickly. On the road it might have been a much bigger deal.

Steve

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have done this 3 times in 107,000 miles. I make a mess every time so I use the cardboard. I like Rfishin's idea of installing a drain plug. I changed fluid every 30,000 miles and never noticed debris in the filter as others have said, but noticed a lot of stuff on the magnet on the bottom of the pan. After draining the pan and replacing the filter and cleaning the magnet. I reinstall the pan bolts and disconnect the trans line going to the cooler and keep adding fluid until the fluid comes out clean, then reconnect and top off fluid. If I was going to do this again I would add another magnet to the bottom of the pan because I think it collects more stuff than the filter. Also I would stay with the original OEM gasket, the rubber gasket I used from the filter kit leaked and after re torqueing several times I had to go back to the OEM gasket to stop the leak.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellertx5er wrote:
aruba5er wrote:
I'd wait until I got back. What happens if you develop a leak in a few days while on the road.

Using this logic, are you saying that one should never perform PREVENTIVE maintenance prior to a long trip?

I did it a week and a half before our trip just in case. If there's a leak I'll tighten a bolt and top off the ATF if needed.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
aruba5er wrote:

Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I purchase a 1/4" tap and drill, plus recessed 1/4" plug 9the kind with the square dent in the top of the plug.

Drill out the bottom shell of the torque converter and let the fluid drain. It can take a couple of hours. 9-12 quarts total including what's in the pan.

Tap the hole, wrap the plug with teflon tape, then tighten but I don't play King Kong with strength of installation.

Job semi-finished. Torque converter and oil pan buttoned up.

I install SIX QUARTS of ATF into the oil pan, then start the engine. Range the selector drive-neutral-reverse. The pump will suck up all the oil in the pan. Start adding more fluid while carefully checking the full mark on the dipstick.

The burnt friction material, bronze bushing powder and steel filings (pump) hiding in the bottom (they gravitate down when draining) will depress you.

No worries about drilling into the converter. Any drill debris gets flushed out by the fluid.

And the quarter-inch pipe plug does not imbalance the torque converter enough to matter one whit.

I've enjoyed 300,000+ mile lifespans on THM 350 and THM 400 transmissions by using the full-drain maintenance. First drain at 50,000 miles, then every 100,000 miles following.

Ford & MoPar didn't get a severe case of The Stupids when they designed their systems - both have torque converter drain plugs.

Although messier than snot, this mechanical driveway service is w-a-y cheaper than pump forced flushing and there is no way in hell pump forced back flushing will touch debris hiding in the torque converter.

The older Ford C4 and C6 transmissions used to use bug screens for filters. Good for stopping cigarette butts and pop tops.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't have to be messy.
if there is no drain plug, just reach under and drill a 3/16 hole in the rear corner of the pan, and let'er drain overnite.
By next day there is very little drippage when removing the pan.
Clean up the pan, drill the hole out to 1/2", and weld a 1/2" fine thread jam nut inside over the hole, and use a 1/2 x 3/4 bolt w/ fiber washer for the plug. Or if no welder, buy a drain plug kit from Napa.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Blacklane wrote:

I think the new fluid is the important part of this job. The next time I do this, I'm planning on just having the system back-flushed with fresh fluid, which will replace more fluid than a drain-and-fill, and it will clean the filter somewhat.

This is the key to a happy transmission. Not all back flush are the same, Find a shop that provides 90% replacement of fluid. This will do more for you than just a filter replacement.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Cleaning/replacing the filter and fluid is the important thing.
Whatever method you use will make your transmission happy. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm all about having a happy transmission:B The Suburban's pushing 17 years old and I'd like to get many more miles out of it.

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
Can you tell us how many miles you had on the trans filter and how it looked. Mine have always looked okay after 70,000 to 80,000 miles.

The filter looked OK and the fluid wasn't too bad. We bought the truck used and based on the condition I'm assuming it was replaced at some point given we're at 90k+.

Blacklane wrote:
I've done this a few times. It can be an awful mess. I recommend a big piece of cardboard under the pan to absorb the drips, which are everywhere.

I used a mortar pan to catch fluid and still ended up with some spots in the driveway. It is a messy job for sure.

Thanks for the follow up. My filters always look okay too but by the time you can see it you might as well change it. I too feel the flust is more important then the filter.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning/replacing the filter and fluid is the important thing.
Whatever method you use will make your transmission happy. ๐Ÿ™‚

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I used an old trash can lid upside down over my oil drain pan. Drill or punch a hole in the center of the lid. No drips on my garage floor when I changed the trans fluid and filters on my truck.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS