cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

would you purchase a rig that has had odometer reset

SnugHarbor
Explorer
Explorer
Have narrowed my rv search down to three candidates. One deisel rig has had the odometer reset. After reading the odometer comments on the tech forums, I have come to the conclusion that this is not an uncommon occurrence.
The dealer said there was a mistake made when they jump started the unit when they picked it up. It "fried" the controls which have since been replaced, but the unit has 30,000 miles in it rather than the 50 miles reflected on the odometer. This is a reputable dealer, so let's assume what is stated is correct and the title will reflect the difference appropriately.
I will most likely resell this rig in 4 or 5 years.
My question for this forum is ... would you avoid a rig because of this issue? Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Of course the other issue of correct mileage happens when the Tire Diameter changes. Lots of People change to slightly different Tires for various reasons. This can and does effect the Odometers, especially on Older Rigs with Mechanical Speedometers that can not be adjusted to compensate .

As long as the change is noted on the Bill of Sale I don't think that there is that much of an issue,especially on a Diesel Rig.

My present DSDP has an error of .05 /10ths of a Mile every 2 Miles according to those Highway Charts. The Speed reading is also slightly out compared to what My GPS indicates. 55 Mph is really 58 according to Maggie !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

SnugHarbor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the input. It's given me some more things to consider. ๐Ÿ™‚

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
20,000 miles isn't much of a big deal on a diesel is it? From reading comments by diesel owners, it seems they go forever and that's one reason they bought a diesel. Not sure I'm understanding the huge concern with 20,000 miles when as they say - anything up to 100,000 is it just being broke in.

I don't think that it is a question of how many miles but more about the legality and potential resale pitfalls which will make it look like YOU tampered with the mileage.

My state TRACKS the mileage on ALL vehicles yearly for registration not to mention inspections.

In most cases it may be possible to have the dealer send the instrument cluster out to have the PROPER mileage "set" which is what I would insist on before laying any money down on this unit.

Personally myself I would rather skip on this unit and move one since it WILL be a hassle down the road...

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
20,000 miles isn't much of a big deal on a diesel is it? From reading comments by diesel owners, it seems they go forever and that's one reason they bought a diesel. Not sure I'm understanding the huge concern with 20,000 miles when as they say - anything up to 100,000 is it just being broke in.

liveneasy
Explorer
Explorer
The odometer in my current DP Motor home was replaced a year prior to my purchasing it. When I bought it the replacement was disclosed and I received the old odometer which had the technicians name, date removed and mileage recorded... the new odometer also has a sticker with the technicians name and date installed. Whenever I have service done at a dealer the mileage reading that I give them is the old mileage plus what's on the the new odometer. Should I ever decide to sell, I'll disclose the replacement and give the old odometer to the new buyer.

FWIW... the first time I had my Motorhome serviced at a cummins dealer the service tech pulled up a maintenance history, by vin/motor number and replacement of the odometer was noted along with the date and mileage info from the original odometer. I know that cummins and freightliner both keep a running history of repairs done by authorized repair facilities... perhaps the unit your looking to buy will have a similar history available that you could check out.
Greg
'96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP/'03 4wd tracker
Datastorm F1/D2/7000/on SatMx5
See where I am today

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't it be set to the right mileage? When our Jeep was brought in from Canada, the speedometer was switched to MPH and the odometer was changed from 109000 kilometers to 68000 miles.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Many states have to record the mileage on the title when a transfer of ownership occurs. A transfer occurred when the previous owner traded it to the dealer.

Perhaps a inquiry to DMV would show last recorded mileage, and would also verify what the dealer is telling you about mileage. (30,000) If he is lying....run.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a new Speedometer (with odometer) installed in a truck I had years ago. It was before all the electronic stuff of today, but even then, I had to give the mileage that was on the previous odometer (or at least a close representation) to the DMV. They are, for the most part, aware of what the mileage is.
Then, there is also CarFAx (though I don't know if anyone had it for an RV?), which will document the odometer readings for each event.

Yes, I guess there could be some fibbing, but if you document it, (say with a label on the dash "Add 30K to current reading", you would probably not have to much trouble....especially in about 5-6 years.
As long as you don't appear shady...you probably won't have troubles....though, as some have stated, you may be reducing your buyer pool down the road!
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
For me it would reflect in the price I offered for it. I have yet to ever resell a vehicle, I am the last owner of every vehicle I have ever owned. ( heck I normally buy them worn out). The reset odo will likely be a "red flag" down the road when trying to resell it, likely lowering the value substantially.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our vehicles mileage is recorded each year for the safety inspections... Seems like you could could get a pretty close actual miles used if you could get to the safety inspection reports assuming the other states do this same thing.. All of mine are all kept in the glove box - never throw that stuff away...

Who knows maybe CARFAX keeps that data...

Just a thought?

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
A lot would depend on the age of the unit and can you contact the previous owner. If its maybe five years old now, at ten years mileage isn't going to make much if any interest to a buyer. They will be paying based on condition. If you get go talk with previous owner I'm sure you could figure out in short order whether this is a unit you would be interested in. Of course I would want to pay a little less because it would be devalued somewhat. JMO
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
Firstly the mileage on a diesel engine RV is pretty much irrelevant (NADA ignore it when valuing it).

Secondly, are you buying it to keep and use or to resell? In the former it matters not, in the latter it might make it less attractive to some buyers.

Assuming no laws have been broken, I would use it as a negotiation tool if it was the RV that I wanted - but it would not affect my desire to purchase.

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
SnugHarbor wrote:
Have narrowed my rv search down to three candidates. One deisel rig has had the odometer reset. After reading the odometer comments on the tech forums, I have come to the conclusion that this is not an uncommon occurrence.
The dealer said there was a mistake made when they jump started the unit when they picked it up. It "fried" the controls which have since been replaced, but the unit has 30,000 miles in it rather than the 50 miles reflected on the odometer. This is a reputable dealer, so let's assume what is stated is correct and the title will reflect the difference appropriately.
My question for this forum is ... would you avoid a rig because of this issue? Thank you.

I wouldn't avoid the rig, but it definitely makes it worth less. Because when you try and resell it the potential buyers are going to be asking the exact same questions you are asking now.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
SnugHarbor wrote:

Yes.

Because when 'you' go to sell it you will have the same problem because most won't buy it. Thereby reducing your pool of prospective buyers. Also there is so much stink in the dealerships reasons why the mileage is not correct, I would run as fast as you can from this deal.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.