cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2wd or 4wd for towing

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Having sold our 03 dually in the market for a newer truck for towing our 5th wheel. we now spend winters in florida so see no need for 4wd
is there any advantage to hauling w/4wd over 2wd are frames the same? seems like 2wd dually are hard to find. whats everyone opinion, thanks for any replies
48 REPLIES 48

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't get up my driveway when there is snow on it without 4x4, so that's why I have it... 🙂 I've tried to get up it in 2wd just to see what would happen... Didn't happen...

Even when I was still on the incline, shifted into 4x4 and I got up the driveway into my garage.

Even my wifes Rav4 with 4wd gets up the driveway with snow on it.. The Plymouth Acclaim she had before the Rav could not..

I also use it for the 4-lo feature to backup the trailer into it's parking space at the house.. It's on the side yard, with a steep gravel driveway and it's just easier to backup in 4-lo..

The only answer to this is "what works best for you"... Everyone is going to have their own "what works best for me" answer, so get what you get and that's all you got or need... 😉

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
Or maybe you want to back uphill on some grass or gravel without tearing it up.

X2. I wonder if those who claim they've never needed 4wd in tough spots even know if they've left ruts or spun gravel all over. 4wd is gentler on your rig and the driving surface.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
You’ll never miss it.... till you need it!

Y'know, the same could be said about a firearm!
Or a fishing license...
Or a fly rod...
Or a limited slip differential...
or a winch (and, perhaps, a wench!)
Also, the "just cheap insurance!" applies as well!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

I have lockers front and back so I'm true 4wd bit that is rare today and it's aftermarket.

Resale value on a '4wd' is always better but then the maintenance is higher too and conversely, load carrying capacity drops with a 4wd versus a 2wd. Most people never take that into consideration.

For the new Ram 3500s SRWs (like the truck the OP is talking about) this is WRONG. The 4x4s have an increased GVWR to make up the heavier curb weight.

Haven't checked F and GM but they may be the same.

Actually it’s always been WRONG! This nonsense about payload numbers is taken all too seriously. These trucks are under-rated on paper so they fit into the legal definition of 3/4 and 1-ton pickup trucks. If you buy a 4WD you won’t have to leave your wife and dog (or beer) at home because the book says you lost 200 pounds of payload.

I won’t own a 2WD pickup. It really sucks when you’re pointed uphill on gravel with a trailer on and you can’t get moving. Or maybe you want to back uphill on some grass or gravel without tearing it up. There are countless situations that have nothing to do with going “off roading” where having 4WD saves the day.

I’ve owned a whole bunch of 4WD pickups and the only significant extra maintenance
was a leaking axle seal at 80k miles. Big deal.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
You’ll never miss it.... till you need it!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

I have lockers front and back so I'm true 4wd bit that is rare today and it's aftermarket.

Resale value on a '4wd' is always better but then the maintenance is higher too and conversely, load carrying capacity drops with a 4wd versus a 2wd. Most people never take that into consideration.

For the new Ram 3500s SRWs (like the truck the OP is talking about) this is WRONG. The 4x4s have an increased GVWR to make up the heavier curb weight.

Haven't checked F and GM but they may be the same.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
The best answer is this: You buy a pair of boots and they are not waterproof. If/when it rains (which might be infrequent) then you will wish you had bought the waterproof boots. Others just get waterproof boots in case they need them.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
3/4 ton , 1 ton , dually.. 4x4 and diesel are very common

2 wheel and Gas.. are Very rare......

lower trim levels are rare...

I found a nice 2 wheel Gas 250 "XL" with "E" locker...
a fleet/lease unit... carry 3600 and tow 10,000

I agree.. unless you have duel lockers. at best you have 3 wheel drive.
most only 2 wheel drive. ( one each axle )

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm never off road except rarely gravel or grass. But I tow daily transporting new TTs & boats from the Mfgs to dealerships all over the country. Many grades especially out west require either chains or 4WD or you are not allowed over the pass in inclement weather as identified by marked flashing lights prior to the grade. If caught going over without you can get ticketed & fined. And if in fact you get stuck and especially if you cause others to be stuck or stop the flow you will be fined hard with points against your driving record. This is especially bad for CDL drivers.

Naturally you can buy chains & install but it's sure nice not to have to stop & do that in the cold wet sloppy snow at the bottom and again when you get over.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need 4WD, until you do. I've lived in FL since 1981, and been camping here since 1969. Most places have paved campsites, or crushed gravel. Some, like Hillsborough State Park, Long Key State Park, etc., have sandy campsites. Most times, they are packed well enough. If fill sand has been recently added, it's very soft. I've seen people get stuck trying to back a trailer into these sites. Another campground I had to back uphill into the site. It was wet grass, slick as snot!

The upside is fellow campers with 4WD are happy to lend a hand. I carry chains and tow strap. Not to get me unstuck!

All 3 of my vehicles have 4WD. Yes, they cost more initially, but they are not only worth more when selling them, but they are easier to sell.

My current truck has the added benefit of a rear locker, and an active braking on the front axle if one wheel starts slipping.

Get what your desire and budget permit. If you do get a 2WD, and have an issue, ask for help.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
4wd is actually a misnomer. It's not 4wd it's really 2wd, one in the front and one in the back unless you have limited slip in both pigs (which is rare) most are rear only, the front pig is open spool.

If you have limited slip in back, then it's 3 wheel drive.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
4WD only for me as I work construction on some gnarly sites.

Even if I didn't and only had to use 4WD once every few years, it'd still be worth it. Plus resale value is way better on a 4WD.

Only argument for a 2WD that makes any sense is if you're a hot-shotter who'll never stray off road and your mileage will wreck release anyway or if you have severe mobility/health issues and cab step-in height is a problem.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2WD dually and have never needed 4WD in the 11 years and 50,000 miles I've driven it. I can carry 200 lbs. of fuel in place of the mechanical stuff that goes with 4WD, which is a much better use of my carrying capacity IMO. OTOH the truck is used 90 percent of the time to pull the trailer and rarely used in the winter.

I bought my truck to use, not to get rid of, so the resale value is of no concern to me. FWIW I could probably sell my 2001 Dodge Cummins dually for nearly what I paid for it 11 years ago.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
My last four trucks have been 2wd. I have enjoyed the lower price and better fuel economy.

I still hunt and fish so bla on that as a reason. Lol

I did have to get pulled out once, no biggie.

I do stick to gravel roads and that sort of thing. Just be sensible and it will be okay. It’s not like you are going to have to abandon your truck in the RV park forever if you get stuck.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~