cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody regret buying too much truck?

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently purchased a new Skyline Ecocamp 20BH. It is a small travel trailer, 4600 pounds loaded with a 700 pound tongue weight. I live in an area with mountains. I would eventually like to haul bikes, people, kayaks, and whatever else I want. I also pull around a 4000 pound boat. Payload is more of my concern than maximum towing weight, as I have fairly light toys. I would like to be able to take some long trips with my trailer in the future.

I've been looking at Ford crew cabs with the 3.5 liter ecoboost. They have around a 2000 pound payload. However, they are very expensive.

I can pick up an F250 or Ram 2500 diesel for roughly $5000 more than the Ford 1/2 ton. I can also pick a gas 3/4 ton for about the same price as the half ton.

I plan on keeping this truck for a while, and will also use it for other recreational activities without pulling anything.

I'm not pulling 20,000 pounds and a lot of the diesel guys laugh at me when I tell them I'm looking at a diesel for my light trailers.

I know about maintenance costs, diesel costs, and the differences in gas mileage. I'm trying to see if anybody has any reason I would regret buying a 3/4 ton diesel or 3/4 gasser for my tow vehicle?
76 REPLIES 76

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody regret buying too much truck?

Not even hardly:B
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Go big! You WILL buy a larger in about 3 years and be thankful to have a TV to handle it.

Amen! I traded a great F-250 that could have served me well for many years because my taste in RVs outgrew it. I replaced it with an F-450 that is way overkill until my next RV.
Larry

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
I downsized, in a sense. Sold the '06 3/4 ton diesel a few years ago, bought a car. Didn't like driving a car, so I went back to a truck a year later. I didn't really *need* the capabilities of another 3/4 ton, so I settled on an F150 Ecoboost.

I don't miss the 3/4 ton at all, really. Yeah, it worked just fine for daily driving. A few parking garage issues and harder to find the right parking spot here and there, but not a big deal. But the F150 rides a bit better, is more maneuverable, and can park a few places where the 2500 could not. Big differences? No, but I don't regret going with a 1/2 ton at all.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Thank you for all the responses. Some really good stuff to think about.

I appreciate hearing from those that are actually driving these trucks.

I'll be out kicking tires for the next month or so.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Your current needs do not require a diesel or a 1 ton truck. I would take a look at a used 3/4 ton gasser since you expect to haul more than you have now. It will eat gas. You may also want to look at used Chevy 3/4 ton trucks with the Duramax diesel. I am reluctant to recommend the Ecoboost since you say you want more capability in the future.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I Have Too Much Truck !!!

If I could convince my wife I would buy a F150 Ecoboost. My F250 uses a lot more gas, is not parking lot friendly, and won't fit in my garage. And I don't need a F250 to pull my 8000 lbs GVWR trailer.

And we won't even talk about the turning radius of my F250; when it comes time to try and maneuver my 30' trailer into a tight spot, get out the popcorn cause the show is about to begin.

Here is the point where everyone tries to claim that my "negatives" don't matter (they don't have no trouble in parking lots, theirs gets good gas mileage, theirs fit in their garage, etc. etc., etc.). But the only real point is my negatives matter to me. And as long is I am paying the bill, that's the only opinion that matters.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
AngryBert-63 wrote:

I LOLOLOL at the 1/2 ton crowd trying to justify their numbers..

I LOLOLOL at the 3/4 and 1 ton crowd justifying 50%+ "safety margin" and "making it not work as hard" as to their reason for overbuying on trucks. Or that the notion that every 1/2 ton is only good for a popup.

I'm really curious as to what I'm missing as our F150 tows our 35' just fine. Hills are not a problem - just push the go pedal and the turbos spool up or the engine drops down a gear or 2 and "away we go". I had to do a merge from a dead stop to the highway due to a short on ramp and no space to get in. Once we were at 5 MPH, I planted it to the floor. In about 10 seconds we were at 60. That was towing 9k behind us.

About the only bad thing is there is some porpoising but these mountains/hills/whatever here in PA are fine for it. Keeping up with highway traffic is not an issue. Doing 3-4 hours behind the wheel isn't a chore (other than the usual anxiousness of driving something that big). I've not had any white knuckle experiences and have been passed by just about everything as I do the speed limit in the right lane.

So what am I missing?

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
I think the best advice is to buy:
- what you want
- what you need now
- what will fit your future needs

Agreed. All the comments aside, this is the best.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the best advice is to buy:
- what you want
- what you need now
- what will fit your future needs
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

blt2ski
Buy the truck with payload, power, seating capacity etc, to fit YOUR needs. Do not worry about what others think.
Ive owned one of the original midget Toyotas, great truck. Up to a visit lopro MDT. Also a great tuck. Worst truck, a 1 ton GM cab and cases. I digress.
When all of my trucks have been operated within general design perimeters, they have done well. Otherwise, they sucked.
With that, I am glad I do not drive my 05 CC really any more. Now drive a rag cab 25 series red with a sb gas. Works great for what I need a truck to do. Too big can be a hastel. As can too small
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
There is such a thing as too much truck?

'07 International 4400 on 24.5", DT570/Allison, air everything. Hooked to a trailer that weighs about 700lbs.
I couldn't see the ramp sticking up in the center mirror, couldn't see the trailer in the sides when they were adjusted correctly.
"I couldn't feel it back there!"

I have plenty of truck for my trailer (sig stuff). No regrets at all. No concern about hills, about wind, about what I load in the truck or trailer.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Dont know what vehicles folks are talking about with harsh ride. Our F350 although old now is still our travel 'car' when not taking the trailer or the rv. I took the overloads off and added rear airbags to it and it still rides well. Actually rode better than the F250 we took for a test drive. The cadilac was the F350 Dually which we didn't need want or buy. Mine is the FX4. Has power, has comfort and room for the wife and her stuff. The alternative is her honda accord, not much in comfort for travel ok for around town.

Did I need a it, NO, but we knew we would eventually get a bigger trailer, got rv instead while out looking. Anyhow, its really your choice, my son has an F150, comfortable and all (also his travel veh of choice vs '10 camaro!).

The PSD is a little overkill but it is well worth the effort. If not needed for driving everyday get a little car to sit besides it or a small pu (I have older ranger). But from personal experience the big trucks ride is as good if not better than some of the bigger non lux cars, and will match some of the lux cars. Give all a try but it again will be your choice My F350 weights about 7500lbs, the ranger is 3800lbs and it also rides well.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get. Diesel vs gas a choice that fits your needs. Maintenance for the diesel is about $100 more per oil change (14 qts vs 6, filter about $18, but I use synthetic so costs could be lower there) rest of maint is a wash as all have same requirements for trans etc. Air filter will out last a normal car small truck usually unless in severe dirt.

So if you want a car ride buy a car, a truck is a truck but the ride is pretty close. A car will have a rough ride 'off road' also.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely regretted getting too much truck. Like Jeremiah above, I had a minivan with a Popup. Van towed the Pup just fine, but when my other vehicle was reaching the end of its life, I wanted to get a truck that would tow the Pup and still have some room to upgrade if we wanted to. I got a Dodge Megacab (we also needed the interior space) with the Hemi. Sure, it towed our Pup like it wasn't back there, but as a daily driver, it really stunk. Parking was a pain, doing U turns (which I have to do almost daily because of my route) was a pain, and 13 MPG really sucked.

Now, we tow with the van again (still tows just fine) and I have a small car for my daily driver, which I love. Just the difference in fuel costs pays for the car.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I liked the heavy trucks on pavement. Only caveat was off road where the ride of a 3500 can be punishing.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Although few, if any on here, will admit that they did not make the best choice, I am a little suspicious. My boss just had to have a dually to pull work trailers and such. Less than a year later, a new employee got the keys while my boss, who knew everything about anything, started driving a pickup with only four tires instead of six. He never did like the ride and when he wedged himself into a drive though lane, he gave up that adventure.