cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Average Fuel Mileage

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
We are updating our tt from less than 5000'. We are looking at a Wind River GVWR of 8300'. Our TV is a 2003 Dodge 2500 quad cab diesel. If your rig is similar what kind of fuel mileage could I expect overall (flat/mountainous).
21 REPLIES 21

bmupton
Explorer
Explorer
facory wrote:
Born and raised in Michigan. We know snow!

Take a trip to central/northern Saskatchewan. We had somewhere around 6' this past winter in total.

As for mileage, I've never really checked what the beast really gets. I know it's pretty good all things considered, but I don't know the average number.

I know I can go at least 250 miles (400km) on a tank.
TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Born and raised in Michigan. We know snow!
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Duramax with an Edge chip. I get 10.8 from Oklahoma to VA. Less going west due to headwinds. Get a 100 gal tank and put it in the back. I have a 120 and can run from OK to VA on 1 fill.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
facory wrote:
Fighting headwinds across the great plains of SD - down to 6.78 mpg. Worst ever. Can't complain though, we made it through a snow storm in Sioux City IA and rain on the plains.

Your from Georgia and you made it through a snow storm in Iowa??!!! Good for you!!! Most drivers from the south crash with the first snow flake. I commend you for being a good driver.

cacoon
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 06 Dodge 2500 Diesel. My trailer is about 8,000lbs loaded. While I don't worry about mpg too much, it is something I have to plan for. I have averaged about 10 mpg over time. The worst was 7.5 the best 15. While the mpg doesn't restrict me to much now, there may be a time when I have to find a closer place to travel or may not go at all.
Cacoon

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Fighting headwinds across the great plains of SD - down to 6.78 mpg. Worst ever. Can't complain though, we made it through a snow storm in Sioux City IA and rain on the plains.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Your milage should be about the same. Frontal area and shape are a bigger factor than weight.

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
X2 13.5 dodge quad towing around 9-10000lbs through mountains and high flatlands.

Yardvarkers
Explorer
Explorer
When towing a Jayco 266FBS, 10 mpg. 2013 1500 Chevrolet Silverado Z-71. 4X4, Trailer towing package, built in brake controller, 5.3L engine, short bed, extended cab.
"Any good that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- William Penn

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your responses.

West Beachhouse

etruitt
Explorer
Explorer
04 Dodge qc cummins turbo diesel 6 speed str drive. Pulled a 5th Wheel about same weight Xcountry and back. Averaged 13.5 mpg. Lots of flat land and mountains.
09 Holiday Rambler Neptune DP 35' 340HP Cummins 6 spd Allison Tranny
04 Dodge CTD LB 4WD, 6 sp,QC. 08 SunLite Eagle WS Popup TC.
Just me and DW on the road every chance we get!

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Downtheroad said: Don't even worry about it. When we realized that towing a house size brick all over the country would take fuel and lots of it, we started having more relaxation and fun.

This was by Downtheroad quite awhile ago...But it has me cracking up.

Mary Kay

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
9 to 10 MPG
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
You get what you get in mileage. I have never checked mine. Towing with a big truck with a big motor and a non aerodynamic box/wind sail behind mileage is not something to be concerned about. You get what you get.