cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bye Bye Lippert Electric Stabilizer Jacks !

Glendale_290
Explorer
Explorer
Well after 15 months of owning our 2013 trailer and having lots of fun and headaches with the made in China Lippert Electric Jacks that take forever to crank up and down with the ultra slow 12V motor......they were removed yesterday and replaced with made in the USA Bal Stabilizer Scissor Jacks. Wow what a difference! They actually stabilize the trailer. To replace the Lippert assembly and motor was going to be well north of $500. US plus shipping and brokerage fees. Bought two sets of jacks and drill adapter for under $200. US. The new jacks fit perfectly on the brackets that were on the trailer that held the old system. Hopefully the electric tongue jack holds up till next year when we will replace with a Barker 3500. All great lessons learned for our next new trailer purchase!

Lou
2013 Sol Aire Eclipse 269 BHDSK Trailer by Palomino . Tows like a dream with our 2016 F250 6.2L gas Crew Cab & parks extremely well in our short driveway with our Park-it 360XL electric trailer dolly[/]

Have a great 2016 Camping Season!
15 REPLIES 15

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:
I did a little investigation into the side to side motion problem with the Lippert electric stabilizing jacks. For the self adjusting part to adjust to uneven ground, the jack carriage has to slide back and forth. After the jacks are down and under pressure, movement in the trailer causes the trailer to rock back and forth on the carriage. Stopping this movement should solve the problem. I believe a set of JT Strongarms or similar might do the trick. I think I will order a set of the BAL brand ones to put on the rear jacks and see how it works. See the video attached. The jacks are under pressure, and my daughter is aggressively stepping on and off the rear steps. It is the trailer that is moving, not the screw jack assemblies.
Lippert jack movement
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:
I did a little investigation into the side to side motion problem with the Lippert electric stabilizing jacks. For the self adjusting part to adjust to uneven ground, the jack carriage has to slide back and forth. After the jacks are down and under pressure, movement in the trailer causes the trailer to rock back and forth on the carriage. Stopping this movement should solve the problem. I believe a set of JT Strongarms or similar might do the trick. I think I will order a set of the BAL brand ones to put on the rear jacks and see how it works. See the video attached. The jacks are under pressure, and my daughter is aggressively stepping on and off the rear steps. It is the trailer that is moving, not the screw jack assemblies.
Lippert jack movement

Please report back how those work out.
I'm interested in trying them myself.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

tll
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert jack movement
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
I strengthened mine with lengths of 2x2x1/8" steel bolted to the arms, so I could really tighten them up without permanently kinking the arms. That reduced the up/down motion a lot.

Front-to-back is reduced with home-made between wheel chocks.

Side-to-side motion is reduced by jacks under the stairs. But Strongarm stabilizers might be in the future.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Our old 2007 Jayco had manual stabilizers. our newer 2014 Cougar had electrics. Manuals are much more stabile than electrics. Only problem we found with manuals is sometimes the jacks are mounted under a slide and it's difficult to access the stabilizer unless your down on your hands & knees.
Did notice some of the new model trailers are going back to manuals.
Having said that I would NEVER go back to a manual hitch tongue jack!!

Happy trails,
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:
I am not really happy with mine either. They have not failed, and they do support the front and back of the trailer, but they sure don't stabilize it much. Very disappointed in them. I have been trying to troubleshoot why they don't stabilize the trailer and it appears the carriage that holds the jacks and screw system slides back and forth on the mounting brackets causing the trailer to move. I have cranked the jacks down harder and harder, and it does no good. My wife keeps talking about getting sea-sick whenever someone moves:)

My sentiments exactly. My thought is to add a stabilizer jack to each side of the TT near the axles.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I guess it depends upon the unit that the jacks are installed on, mine are fine. For me personally just pushing a button in the front and another in the rear is pretty simple.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
A cordless drill works best

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Since apparently Lippert makes many of the slideouts, how are there quality overall?

Chris
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
crickeydog wrote:
I guess that's (Lippert) what we have on the rear of our 5'er. .... Whatever brand they are they've worked fine for close to 11 years now and stabilize our 5'er just fine.

The might be another brand. I think LCI (Lippert) is relatively new at selling stabilizer jacks.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Are you referring to an electric leveling system? I really would love one of those but not if they suck I suppose.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone that wants to send me their old junkers,,,, I'll take em.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that's (Lippert) what we have on the rear of our 5'er. I don't think I've ever really looked at'em. I just mash the button and they go down...and up!!! Whatever brand they are they've worked fine for close to 11 years now and stabilize our 5'er just fine.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

tll
Explorer
Explorer
I am not really happy with mine either. They have not failed, and they do support the front and back of the trailer, but they sure don't stabilize it much. Very disappointed in them. I have been trying to troubleshoot why they don't stabilize the trailer and it appears the carriage that holds the jacks and screw system slides back and forth on the mounting brackets causing the trailer to move. I have cranked the jacks down harder and harder, and it does no good. My wife keeps talking about getting sea-sick whenever someone moves:)
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew