cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cover, yes or no?

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
I was just about to get a cover for my trailer, then I thought about my storage situation.
I have the campground put it in storage and bring it to my campsite so it's waiting for me when I arrive.
1. At low speeds, probably up to 30 mph, more like 10 to 15, will the cover tolerate travel, a couple of miles each way?
2. How easily do the covers tear? If they put it into and remove it from the campsite (not always the same place) I picture snags from low branches.
3. Sounds like I might have to give up the luxury of them moving the trailer in and out in order to keep it covered when I'm not there and avoid possible snags and tears coming and going from storage.
Just thinking out loud.
Your thoughts?
Oh and if I do get a cover what do I want? What brand? What material? What warranty? A mix of weather from blazing hot to below freezing to dry to heavy rain and heavy winds. Small periods of each.
17 REPLIES 17

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
MitchF150

How old is the cover in the picture and how many years do you get out of one? Brand?

Hi, this cover is about 10 years old now. It's an ADCO. It's a bit dirty and probably needs to be replaced, but I'm hoping to get one more winter out of it. Nothing "technically" wrong with it.. It's not ripped up or anything, but I don't want to clean it and it just looks awful! 🙂

Mitch

Thanks Mitch. I think you have me sold. I have my TT parked in about the same kind of location as you do and would much rather the cover look like that than the roof and sidewalls. Time to go shopping.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend covering. My dad had a 1979 Ideal that looked brand new when he recently sold it last year. I've had my Eagle since 09 and it is faded, yes my Eagle is faded and it doesn't even drink LOL! Anyway, get a cover and keep it looking like new. You wont regret it, I do wish I had covered mine. The So Cal sun can be brutal.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes to covering - it is not a pain, of course dealers don't do it, and if my manual said don't cover it, I'd disregard it.

I'm not sure about pulling it covered though. That's a tough spot. Maybe ask the CG what they recommend. I've been happy with my ADCO cover. Follow the directions and it will get good service from it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
hohenwald48 wrote:
MitchF150

How old is the cover in the picture and how many years do you get out of one? Brand?

Hi, this cover is about 10 years old now. It's an ADCO. It's a bit dirty and probably needs to be replaced, but I'm hoping to get one more winter out of it. Nothing "technically" wrong with it.. It's not ripped up or anything, but I don't want to clean it and it just looks awful! 🙂

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great thoughts on this question.
I really appreciate the feedback.
I'll make a decision soon thanks to your help.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cover it they are not hard to put or take off. I cover mine after cleaning and waxing and it still looks it when I uncover it. The cover also will help protect your roof and the items on it from any freezing and thawing cycles. As far as the cover tearing, cover anything sharp, I use pieces of pool noodles. Dealers can't possibly have covers or the time to cover every trailer they have and it would have to be uncovered to show them.

When I cover mine I lay the cover in my yard, fold the sides onto the roof. Then I roll the cover up, place it n the roof then unroll it. Then I just pull the sides down, tighten the straps and I'm done.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
We have had a few TT's and they all came with a roof that was made to be outside. They set outside the factory without a cover and then at the dealer without a cover. We sold our last one after 8 years and the roof was fine without a cover.

Bet they don't store them under trees... 😉

Here is my 12 year old trailer that would have rotted away if I didn't cover it..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Like otters have said. I do cover my TT. Summer and winter. It is breathable and I have had no issues from being covered. Mine is a ADCD. I think that's the correct name. Traveling with it at any speed could be a challenge. The straps go under the TT. But it could be done.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

I've always used them and my units have always looked brand new. The roofs were and are white as ever. Like I was told once at the dealership, it wouldn't be feasible to cover them and uncover them daily. My covers have survived tropical storms winds and came out unscathed. The only problem I see is most of them buckle underneath somewhere in the vicinity of the tires and axles and could or would get caught up by them. But yes, I'm a huge cover fan.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
We have had a few TT's and they all came with a roof that was made to be outside. They set outside the factory without a cover and then at the dealer without a cover. We sold our last one after 8 years and the roof was fine without a cover.

No one in Connecticut keeps their car or truck in a garage during the winter? 🙂

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
They set outside the factory without a cover and then at the dealer without a cover.

That's an irrelevant argument - no manufacturer, no dealer is going to invest in hundreds of trailer covers, then pay someone to install them and then later again to remove them from trailers that are only going to be sold anyway. :S Whether made to be outdoors or not the reality is that in harsh winter climates the roof and especially the many roof seals are exposed not only to snow but the effects of that snow repeatedly melting then turning to ice then melting then turning ice again. :E This same process applies to the awning as well, especially in the trough formed where it's affixed to the trailer. Using a breathable cover provides a barrier between the seals & awning and that constant melt / freeze cycle. Our popups I always stored indoors but I've winter covered every full height trailer we've owned and wouldn't ever consider not covering, even if stored in a campground where I'd have to tow it from the storage lot to the campsite for use ... at low campground speeds it's a non-issue.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a lot of money on a cover to put on my FW. Couldn't stand it. It ripped after a few weeks in a stiff wind. It was a pain in the arse to put on and take off. I tossed it in the trash after about 3 months.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I cover mine but I would not pull it with the cover on. Some of my bottom straps pass around the tire etc.

I would set it for storage then cover it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.