cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Draining fresh water tank

Kylesmith3021
Explorer
Explorer
Went to drain fresh tank after sanitizing it and its literally a small valve that takes over an hour to drain..Am i missing something here?? Its located under trailer below water fillup
25 REPLIES 25

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
They would drive over water
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
I would think the small drain as the majority here have stated having (and which I also have) is probably a safety feature - think about the traffic behind you if a larger valve all of a sudden worked loose while you are on the highway.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
On my TT drain, I often found algae growing at the valve. I used a piece of about 16 gauge stranded, insulated electrical wire to snake it out. Open the valve and insert the wire. Usually the clog is right at the valve. You'll immediately know if this works or not!

Norm

Yes, I agree.......Junk.........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
On my TT drain, I often found algae growing at the valve. I used a piece of about 16 gauge stranded, insulated electrical wire to snake it out. Open the valve and insert the wire. Usually the clog is right at the valve. You'll immediately know if this works or not!

Norm
F1BNorm

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
A 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" knife drain is normal and doesn't take long. Anything less is substandard and just plain cheap.

My Springdale must be a cheap POS since it only has maybe a 1/2" drain tube. Takes at least 30-45 minutes to drain.

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to check the drain for left over sawdust and construction material. My 2014 Enterra never had the water tank used. always on city water with the last owner. The first couple times I tried to drain it I had to push a coat hanger up into the drain. You wont believe how much junk is left in the tanks from the factory.

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
scout dad wrote:
Help me please as I am fairly new to rv's , I have never use the fresh tanks as I use hook ups when I camp. When draining the fresh tank, what to open up, the low point drain caps? never done this before and wanting to use tank in future myself.
Thanks

I did a youtube video on de-winterizing and sanitizing your RV water system. Maybe it will help you out to familiarize yourself with the RV water system, also shows my high flow fresh water drain for the OP ๐Ÿ™‚ de-winterizing video
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
scout dad wrote:
Help me please as I am fairly new to rv's , I have never use the fresh tanks as I use hook ups when I camp. When draining the fresh tank, what to open up, the low point drain caps? never done this before and wanting to use tank in future myself.
Thanks

Sometimes people will start thier own thread to ask a question.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
It takes awhile to drain, but that's what they invented beer for.

So far..... this is the best answer.

You, Sir, are my new best friend.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Generally I do the bleach thing then dump the hot water tank and replug. Then I open the low drain points and go to dinner, or cut the grass or play with the wife. After hooking up I put in 5 gallons if we are just using the water for the bath but if it is for drinking I wait till I can use my white hose at a fill station. No big deal either way. and if I am looking to winterize I just open the drains and all the taps and drive home. Doing this stuff for 40 years so it's automatic.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the pic on page 1. Typical FW drain.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
It takes awhile to drain, but that's what they invented beer for.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
I had 2 40 gallon tanks with a small drain valve on each, took way over an hour to drain...
2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH