Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRW vs SRW Trucks

snowcrustracer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

My DH and I are thinking about buying a new truck and are having some trouble deciding between a dual rear wheel truck and a single wheel truck.
Right now we have limited time off from the rat race and usually just stay in campgrounds so I'm not sure those habits will change when we retire.

The campers we seem to have chosen are the bigger models such as the Host triple slide and the Northern Lite 10.2EXRR. These campers probably would be more comfortable driving with a DRW.

Can we never travel fire roads and trails out in Utah or Colorado with the DRW? Will we be stuck only in campgrounds.

Any thoughts folks could add to the plus or minus list would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Snow
2000 Toyota Tundra & 2007 FWC Eagle (SOLD)
2016 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW & 2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EXRR
38 REPLIES 38

snowcrustracer
Explorer
Explorer
That would be a good option for the future. Using the camper as a base camp and the jeep for exploring.

Thank you folks

Some great things to think about.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at triple slide Host, you need a dually. If you want something with a tent top, then you can get by with a SRW, but a dually will tow the Jeep on a trailer. Something that might come in handy someday.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they made a 315 in 19.5's. I'd love to cut my front fenders out and keep my suspension stock height to fit 37's. I donlt have an overhang issue now, but I watch where I go. I have a similar overhang that you long bed guys with a 9.5' have.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Overhang is one of the reasons I have a 9 1/2 instead of a 11 1/2.

I also have a 9.5 for this reason. If I were going to do one of the harder trails like Death Valley or head down Baja, I would take off the rear jacks and stick them in my storage compartment, or under the rear seat of the truck. It's just a few bolts and a plug.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Overhang is one of the reasons I have a 9 1/2 instead of a 11 1/2.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Overhang of camper will be a much bigger issue than the DRW. Just managed to hit a rear jack going through a ditch. Don't know the cost to fix yet.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A triple slide camper will likely overload a lot of DRW trucks. A SRW is absolutely out of the question. You should probably be looking at a Ford or Ram class 4 or 5 truck for a camper like that.
My dually is my work truck. I often load thousands of pounds of tools and materials in the bed and travel to off grid mountain top home sites. In 11 years I have only had 1 rock stuck in the between the duals and that was in my own driveway.
My truck has never been stuck in the snow or the mud.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
In 14 years with a Dually I have had to remove one rock from between the tires.
As soon as I hit a paved road and picked up speed the out of balance tires let you know big time.
It was difficult but with a tire iron I was able to pry and pound it out. I was worried about hurting a side wall and I was thinking about loosening the lug nuts to get some slack.
I like the stability and the extra weight capacity of the DRWs.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a fair amount of back roading in the northeast and you will scrape up the sides and top of your camper long before the width of the DRW will be a problem .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about a triple slide Host, FORGET any ideas about a single rear wheel truck!!! Those things are even pushing the envelope for dual rear wheel one-tons.

I'll echo what most people who have had multiple truck/camper combos say: SRW, not good with big camper. Less stable, rear tires overloaded. DRW, much much much better.

If anything I'd say the dually will be BETTER on iffy roads while carrying a camper. Stability helps a lot when you're way off level. Size doesn't affect anything here because the camper itself is as wide as the DRW truck anyway, you gain nothing with a SRW.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Get the DUALLY if you want to haul a BIG camper! :B
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 F350. Got a great deal in it, and am currently "bulletproofing" the engine.

I have a Lance Lite 915, and also tow my Jeep on a trailer. We are going to upgrade the camper in a few years.

I'm going to convert the truck to a DRW soon enough. Axles front and rear, and getting a dually bed.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

cdbinns
Explorer
Explorer
We have a DRW and took our camper to Alaska last year. We traveled lots of dirt road, with no issues. We were limited more by the height of the camper than we were by the width.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
As an old logger who traveled countless mountain roads in Idaho in logging trucks, and a host of dually trucks from crew haulers to fire pumpers, there would be know issue for me. The limiting factor is over hang off the rear and hight/width and the corner jacks.

Rocks in the dually's really sucks, sometimes to the point you have to take a tire off to fix it. Been there done that but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another dually.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

snowcrustracer
Explorer
Explorer
insp1505 wrote:
The height and length of the camper will limit where you can go way more than the DRW ever will. Have a check between the duals before getting back on the highway and you'll be fine. I've never picked up a rock. . . yet!

Memorial weekend

Little Lost River

Merriam Lake

Those are some great trip reports. Thank you for sharing those!