Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eco-Diesel out towed up Ike Gauntlet by BASE F150

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
ED - Ike Gauntlethttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpcJJxhvPWU

One of the worst they have tested. Like I said, even a base engine 1/2 ton, such as the Pentastar will cost less to buy and operate, and WILL BE MORE CAPABLE AT TOWING A LOAD AT SPEED.
Feel free to look up the F150 3.7, 2.7, or the Penta-Ram of you can find it. The EB 2.7 is a pretty wicked choice, unless you have a hate on for Ford products.
Like I have been saying, this engine is a niche engine to appeal to those that don't mind compromising everything for the feel of a diesel engine in a half ton.

Flame away!
33 REPLIES 33

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
So we all agree? If you want to race up a mountain while pulling a trailer the ED isn't the best choice.

I will agree with that one. I will also agree that there are a few posters with a vendetta against the EcoDiesel and anything Chrysler.

If you don't want one, don't buy one. Last I saw, Chrysler was still selling everything they can build.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
A trash talker in the tow vehicle forum. I'm so surprised.

Buy what you like and enjoy driving it - what's so hard?
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
You don't buy a diesel to save money. Unfortunately people have been brainwashed into thinking they are.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

The "niche" market is fuel efficiency and not the nonsense you spewed - something it does better than the the Ford. The people that buy them are after low operating costs and don't care about racing up hills.

Actually he does have a point in that the Ram with a Pentastar or the 2.7L would give you A LOT less operating costs that the Ecodiesel would if you only occasionally tow light loads around 6,000 lbs.

According to Fuelly.com, the average combined mpg people are getting in the Ecodiesel is 22.7 mpg. If you take the average diesel price of $2.78 then that would come out to a cost of 12.2 cents per mile. The Ram Pentastar averaged 19.2 mpg combined for 2013 and 2014. Applying the current US average of $2.48, then that would bring it to a cost of 12.9 cents per mile. This is with the difference of the two fuels at only $.30, but the difference will easily get to $.60-$1.00 in the winter months due to diesel also being used as heating fuel. In some areas of the country the cost difference is currently much more making the Ecodiesel have NO fuel cost benefit.

Okay, so if you took those cost per miles of each engines average combined fuel mileage, and applied them to an annual 15,000 miles per year then the yearly fuel bill for the Ecodiesel would be $1,837.00 and the Pentastar would be at $1,937.00. This would make the Ecodiesel about $100.00 cheaper each year in fuel. Now lets add DEF into the mix. In 15,000 miles, the Ecodiesel will go through about 7.5 gallons of DEF. If you use the DEF 2.5 gallon bottles, then you would more than likely pay about $12.00 per bottle which would be $36.00 annually. That $36 minus the $100 lead of the Ecodiesel fuel cost shrinks it down to a $64.00 savings.

But.... not so fast. There is the oil change and fuel filter too. The oil filter and fuel filter alone for the Ecodiesel cost about $30.00 to $40.00 EACH depending on where you get them. Unlike the diesels in the 3/4 and 1 tons where their PM schedules are much longer that the gas engines, the Ecodiesel and Pentastar are both at 10,000 miles. With the Pentastar you are looking at a $50.00 oil change at the most, but with the Ecodiesel you are looking at a $120.00 oil change plus another $30 for the fuel filter. That is a difference of $100 in the Pentastar favor.

Take that $64.00 from earlier that the Ecodiesel saved you in fuel(+DEF), and apply the $100 the Pentastar saves you on a PM. Then you are looking at the Ecodiesel costing you more per year all for a slower all around truck, not much more pulling capability, a lot less payload capability, and a huge difference in cost up front(like you guys always complain about). If you didn't tow that much per year or even towed heavy then you would have saved a lot more money with the Pentastar.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't y'all just decide Chevy sucks and call it even?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Have never understood what the appeal is with the ED or any diesel in a 1/2 ton truck for that matter. And that is coming from a diesel owner. Diesels have their place, just not in a 1/2 ton.

To date I have only seen one ED in the wild so maybe that says something.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Actually it sounds like your the hater and have an obvious bias.
The "niche" market is fuel efficiency and not the nonsense you spewed - something it does better than the the Ford. The people that buy them are after low operating costs and don't care about racing up hills.
Both vehicles excel at what they do - but they are for very different purposes.

Could I give your contact info to the 7 guys at the Ford dealership who have blown turbos at between 70k and a 120k miles. They could really use to hear from someone other then the guy who sold it to them how great their ecoboosts are at towing.

The only people I have personally met that have had luck towing over time with the ecoboosts, tow less then 6000pds about 10% of their total miles. All complain about fuel mileage.

I will take real world proven examples over someone typing what they read!

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
So we all agree? If you want to race up a mountain while pulling a trailer the ED isn't the best choice.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
I guess I'm missing your point. The 2.7 is definitely a wicked little engine. What does that have to do with the BASE 3.5 engine? I came here expecting to see that normally aspirated 3.5 smoking the Ecodiesel up the Ike Gauntlet. This video is a couple months old and has been bandied about here plenty already. Go camping, and R-E-L-A-X.

I'm relaxed, what's with all the implied drama?

3.7 - IKE

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford 3.7 (the 4 year OLD engine_, beat the ED up the gauntlet, in the old body, and with the antiquated 6 speed, beat the ED up the climb, quashing any "torque beats horsepower theories" that are bandied about in support of the ED.
Assuming the 3.5 does at least as good as the OLD 3.7, it should do just fine.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm missing your point. The 2.7 is definitely a wicked little engine. What does that have to do with the BASE 3.5 engine? I came here expecting to see that normally aspirated 3.5 smoking the Ecodiesel up the Ike Gauntlet. This video is a couple months old and has been bandied about here plenty already. Go camping, and R-E-L-A-X.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Angry? That's some weak sauce. No anger here, not too sure how you got butt-hurt so quickly? I occupy both the light consumer and light commercial market, so I know the difference, although analytically, I treat them the same. I'd love to have a vehicle in my fleet that would add $$ to company's bottom line.

How about you find out how many diesels got killed by one of the mildest winters ever up here in Canada? They are a niche vehicle, and to an analytical person, they just don't stack up, for any reason. (I'm open to suggestions, talk me into one, I'll order it for our company fleet, well, except the cold weather destruction locally made that not an option!)

I own toys,(MXZX 1200, Spyder RS-S, Kodiak 350 IRS) they make no objective financial sense, but I like them because they are fun, and I enjoy them. Objectively, a 600etec sled and a small motorcycle, or a cheaper atv are probably more cost efficient, but I don't care.

A truck is a tool, (a damn expensive tool) and to most, tools are held to a different standard!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would be happy to explain the differing markets and commercial vs private targets to you HH but your anger and hostility preclude a civil conversation.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I know what my 2.8 can do so I take the 3.0 Ram.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
ED got 50% better fuel efficiency than the EB getting up the same hill.

They should re-run it at 50mph in the 2.7 and see what happens, at least you have the option in the Ford. You don't think going 20% faster has a price?