cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feedback on Ram 3500's

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. We are outgrowing our current Supercab truck quite quickly due to our 4 year old son growing like a weed and we have a yellow lab as well. So we are starting to look around at newer trucks and test drove several Ram 3500's.

The first and my favorite so far is a 2007 Ram 3500 Laramie Quadcab dually 4x4 with 5.9L, 6 speed manual and 102,000 kms (approx. 60,000 miles). It has new tires, ball joints, FASS fuel filtration system and Southbend clutch. It is fully loaded with heated seats, power rear sliding window, sunroof, power passenger seat, etc, and also has a Pacbrake exhaust brake. It is in very good condition and just needs a good detail cleaning which the dealer has confirmed he would do. The price on it is $39,995 Canadian and so far he is not moving on his price.

The second truck is a 2007 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab dually 4x4 with 5.9L, 6 speed manual and 112,000 kms. This truck is super clean and is also fully loaded with heated seats, power rear window, power passenger seat, and rear DVD. It has original ball joints and did not seem to have as much power as the Quadcab described above. This truck has a price of $39,000 Canadian and it is at the same dealer as the Quadcab above. My wife and son really liked this one.

The third truck is a 2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew cab dually 4x4 with 6.7L, automatic transmission, nav, heated and cooled seats, captains chairs, etc. This truck also has a B&W turnover ball. It has 98,000 kms and is a bit beat up; it is also from the US and the history appears to be a bit vague which concerns me. It also felt like it was in 4 wheel drive (the switch wasn't) because it was jumping when turning so that is an issue that would need to be sorted out. The price on this truck is $47,500 Canadian. This truck was very nice with many comfort features over the 3rd gen trucks above.

The dealer with the two 5.9L trucks advised us that these trucks are preferred by many over the newer trucks (he sells them too) because of their reliability and superior fuel mileage which is the reason for the high prices on them. I have also looked at these trucks online both in Canada and the US and see similar prices on them, especially when it is considered that the Canadian dollar is approximately 10% lower than the US dollar now.

I really like the first truck described because of the amount of recent work done to it because it takes care of most of the high expense items that trucks like this are known for. I do like the newer 4th generation truck but feel that the 5.9L would be a good solid truck for many years to come.

I would appreciate any and all feedback on these trucks, especially from people that have owned them. I guess the big question is should I buy the older low mileage 5.9L or pay some more for the newer 4th generation truck?

Thanks in advance.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes
34 REPLIES 34

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
OP-

I see you have a Ford in your sig. Can I ask why you are not considering the other three HD trucks?
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

joegray
Explorer II
Explorer II
40k sounds like too much money for a 7 year old truck. JMHO. A price in the high 20k to low 30k would seem more realistic. Even in Canada.

Also don't be mislead by the statement that the truck is "not even broken in yet" a truck with 100k or 200k is just that. There are a lot of other components, eg.trans,ujoints,bearings and all sorts of other stuff, expensive to repair, that has that milage on them.
Good luck on your search.

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a 2003 2500 5.9 H.O. 48re 3:73 4x4 short bed and now own a 2012 6.7 3500 drw 68re 4:10 4x4 max tow package. The 5.9 is a very good motor. The only thing I did in 137,000 miles was replace the fuel pump, batteries, belts, and hose. Had the truck 9 years. Truck was great. The 2012 6.7 is a whole lot nicer in terms of power, ride comfort etc. I tow a 36ft. Cedar Creek and both trucks handled the job ok but then again the 2012 is heads above. With all of the EPA stuff that everyone talks about I get about the same mileage towing with either truck. I loved my 5.9 but if the choice was mine the new truck wins out hands down.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is until 2010 the back seats are really small. Its not really a crew cab. Its almost like they are an extended cab with doors that open like regular. I looked at a 2007 also but the back seat wouldn't really accommodate a big car seat in the center any better than my extended cab Ford did. So I waited and bough a 2012 Ram. Back seat is much bigger
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
130,000 miles on an '05 3500; only thing fixed so far was the radiator fan clutch. Most reliable truck or car I have ever owned. At a steady 65 mph it gets not towing 20-21 mpg.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great comments and please keep them coming.

Both of the 2007 trucks have 3.73 rears so they are both very similar from a capability point of view. The GVWR is an issue, though with the Quadcab long box being 12,200 lbs and the Megacab being 10,500 lbs. This does not make any sense to me; why did Dodge do this?

I also agree with the comments on the price; although they are both in great condition with relatively low mileage and are sought after, $40k seems like a lot of money for a 7 year old truck.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like nice trucks but 2007's aren't worth 40K even here
in Canuckian land.

I have a 2005 and a 2010....both great trucks but for trailer pulling
the 10 is way nicer hands down.

I would think for 40-45k you can get a really nice 2010-2012

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
My 2005 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 is the BEST truck I have ever owned. Period.

This is being written by a person that owned only Chevrolet his entire life. (Second Generation Chevy lover)
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
donn hit the high points. The 5.9 is a great engine, but the 6.7 has a better cab and a 6 speed auto. Of the 3 you list, the mega would be my preference for a growing family. That said, the quad cab will be fine for many years for your son.

You could also hold out to look for a 2010+ truck that is lower miles and in better condition than the one you mention.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'd still have my beloved 93 if it would have had a bigger back seat arrangement.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well that helps explain why the value of our 2001 has not dropped in three years, may have even gone up!!

Neither of the 5.9's are even broken in yet! I am towing 11,000# with my 01 with only 269,000 miles. My neighbor at the Storage, has about the same size 5er, and a 12 valve about 96, with like 490,000 miles.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, owning a 6.7L I am a bit biased. I love the factory exhaust brake and 6 speed auto. But for a growing family that Mega Cab is really hard to beat. Quad cabs are a cross between an extended and crew cab. Not as much room as the genuine crews, but bigger than the extended cabs. The down side of the Mega cab is payload. It is generally less than comparable quad cabs. Also the short bed is a draw back for lots of people. Next is rear axle ratio? If the two trucks are equal in all aspects I would opt for the mega cab and add a slider hitch and go.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another vote for the 5.9L vs 6.7L
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JustLabs wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Dodge trucks have no more front end problems than any other brand.

If that'll help you sleep tonight...lol

Prove your point. (hint - going to the diesel stop wont help "LOL")

BTW, I actually have one and when my ball joints were checked last summer they were still perfectly tight at 86K miles.

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Dodge trucks have no more front end problems than any other brand.

If that'll help you sleep tonight...lol
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.