Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel Purchase

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
was in Owensboro, KY this weekend.

Planned to buy fuel at a major trucking depot, but did not find one,

we started looking for fuel and did not find any station that sold diesel.

finally I found a Kroger store with a fueling station that sold diesel, so I filled up.

I had installed a new Baldwin fuel filter a few weeks earlier and had a spare in the toolbox, so I thought I would be good to go, buying from a location that does not turn a lot of diesel fuel.

The old dodge diesel ran fine on the way home, no problems, getting 13.9 mpg, pulled the camper like a champ.

so I guess, I am good to go, maybe the problem is me, just overly concerned about buying fuel at stations I am not sure how they maintain their fuel tank filters or how long the fuel sits in their tanks.

Normally the larger interstate fueling station take good care of their tank filters and turn a lot of fuel so it's fresh.

was only 1/2 empty, but not being able to find a station that sells diesel makes you a little less concerned about station fuel tank maintenance.

is there an alp for finding a station that sell diesel in a location????
23 REPLIES 23

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
You will be surprised at how many locals fill up at Krogers,J-C, conveince stores etc. without issues every day. I do. No truck stops in my county at all so guess where the local o/o dump trucks, o/o school buses, even local gov. vehicles fill up?

X2. The only grocery store that sell fuel is Walmart, and that is only some of their super centers. But where they do, they move a lot of fuel and yes, it is generally cheaper by a nickel or more per gallon. I'm betting Kroger does likewise and has a pretty snappy turnover on all fuel they sell.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Might send Ricatic a PM. Bad fuel is indeed rare but a tank full can certainly ruin your day, checking account balance and loyalty. :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry "frequent shopper" cards from Winn Dixie, Kroger, Tops, City Market/Smiths and a couple of others. Some of them have stores only out west or in NY/PA or some such that I may only visit every two or three years.

But.....when I AM there I use the card generated discount on fuel purchases whenever I find diesel (which is frequently). I have fueled at grocery store gas stations with the 35' fiver on. Not easy, but possible. (I DO try to do it after we have dropped the trailer for the night as this causes much less aggravation for other drivers.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
You will be surprised at how many locals fill up at Krogers,J-C, conveince stores etc. without issues every day. I do. No truck stops in my county at all so guess where the local o/o dump trucks, o/o school buses, even local gov. vehicles fill up?
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
With all due respect, you are way over amping. You have just assumed that Kroger does not sell very much diesel fuel. You also are assuming that the "shelf life" of diesel fuel must be only a few weeks. When I owned my diesels, yes diesels, I always bought at Kroger because their price was cheaper. Never had a problem in many, many years.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
In all sincerity, I think we are getting a little overly-hyped on this forum about getting bad fuel. Do you honestly believe the Kroger diesel had gone bad?

How often do we all really hear about bad fuel?
I have never had a bad tank of fuel, I had bad girl friend once.
So big a world, so little time to see.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gasbuddy is good but they only list stations that someone has reported on. That list is by no means complete.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
In all sincerity, I think we are getting a little overly-hyped on this forum about getting bad fuel. Do you honestly believe the Kroger diesel had gone bad?

How often do we all really hear about bad fuel?

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
gasbuddy.com
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "