cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fulltimng in a truck camper

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
wife and I are looking into full timing in a truck camper with a 24 foot enclosed trailer to haul our two Harleys and various other stuff. Do many of you full time in a truck camper for major portions of the year?
13 REPLIES 13

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fulltiming is certainly doable and with the right preparation you can be successful in many types of weather and seasons. You are smart to research this avenune, Truck Campers, as you have other RVs too.

Since you are going on long trips, for now, you will be able to try out this lifestyle if you finally decide to sell your home base and begin fulltiming. It certainly is something to check out before attempting to fulltime.

Also, using motorcycles as get around vehicles is very limited unless you are just Snowbirding and heading south and north, as the weather changes. Rain, Snow and Ice will limit your opportunities in exploring with motorcycles, than a car would. Just something to consider.

Have fun!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
I could do it by myself but no way with a second person. We full-time in a 5th wheel and have the camper when we want to hit some small spots or just want a change of living quarters (kinda like a vacation). If I were to FT in the camper I'd be pulling out that dinette and adding something comfy to sit on. That's the biggest issue I have (aside from the obvious lack of space for clothes and junk). After a couple weeks it gets old relaxing on the bed instead of a couch or comfy chair.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I think youcan be a full-timer in a TC...takes planning and figueing stuff out that works for you.

I have done some long term living in my TC...for 8 years I spent all of my summer in the TC parked on the dock while I was running boats in Seattle, enjoyed it very much..I had water and power...gray water not an issue but black was...so used a pail and dumped it in the toilet at the facility or once a week I drove home to wash uniforms and stock up on grub then back the following morning for 6 to 10 day stretches. I have been on a number of road trips lasting many weeks, down to FL and back over 9 -10 weeks then back to work for summer...then in 2012 I took 9 weeks and went to CO boondocked mostly. It was great...I hope to do more trips after the TC is rebuilt and it will be better suited to what we need and do...we have learned from our past long trips and my boat work days. Go for it and have fun!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

chalet05
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I full time in a truck camper - 365 days a year, 24/7. I started out with a 5er, got a TC for summers, but that meant I sat in one place all winter with the 5er. Two years ago a friend traveled with me for 6 months to Alaska. By the time we returned, I knew I could full-time in the TC and got rid of the 5er.

There were trade offs, but how much of the stuff we carry do we need when traveling to some places? So far I have traveled 19,000 miles this year.

It isn't for everybody, but I love the places I can go - particularly in Alaska.
Anita
2014 RAM 3500 4x4 Dually
2011 Lance 1050S TC
2015 Polaris Slingshot

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really consider myself a fulltimer because I have a home I return to each fall. I spent about 5 months on the road last year and 3 1/2 months this year. I travel alone and it can get "small" in there if the weather is bad for more than 1 day. I have a Lance 845 with no slides and no comfortable place to sit.

On the other hand, some people live in cars, so it certainly can be done.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The longest trip I've taken was 3 weeks. I bounced from one campground to another, all within about 10 miles of each other. This was in 2012. One location was the 2012 NW Overland Rally.
The day is coming where I will take a longer trip.

In regards to a cargo trailer, one with cabinets and a countertop across the front would be awesome - that's what I have in my 20' Haulmark.
In the lower cabinet I have a battery and inverter.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
Do many of you full time in a truck camper for major portions of the year?

I am puzzled by this question. To me "full time" means 365 days a year. Usually this means that the RV is your only home. You have no permanently attached residence.

Sango
Explorer
Explorer
check out http://where-rv-now.com/
2018 3500 Dodge Laramie DRW 4 X 4
2019 Bigoot 25C10.4
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
While you will find that more of the forum members are extended travelers in their TCs, very few are full timers. Probably could count them on the fingers of one hand.
Quite a few will spend a month to multiple months at a time in their TCs, most have a home somewhere that they return to for part of the year. Not sure that we have had any couples posting that they have full timed it or are currently doing it. The others are all single guys that I can think of at this time. May be some couples, I just don't know about. I have known a couple of guys that used their TCs for housing as they work at jobs that move around the country. The only time their TC moves is when they change job locations. Probably not the generally accepted idea of a full timer though, but they do sleep in their TC every night of the year, for the most part.

Most full time couple seem to want more living space than is available in a TC. Fifth Wheels, motorhomes and large travel trailers are more often the rig of choice of full timers. But every one has to decide how much personal space do they need to be comfortable.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently met this very nice couple who were hosting at a COE park. They are fulltiming in their Lance camper.

http://gconthemove.com/
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
Well that 24 foot trailer would certainly solve any storage problems you might have. We use a truck camper on a MDT chassis and carry one motorcycle - works great for us.

Please note, maximum photo width=640

Wayne

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
We've done two six month trips (5,000 miles+) each time in our truck camper. 2012 and just this past summer.

The hardest part is finding a place to store enough clothing/gear for everything we planned to do along the way. The 2nd hardest part is learning not to take so much food down the road. (Learn that there are grocery stores out there.)
Kathy