cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

?Gear? ratio for 2010 GMC Sierra crew cab

beachlovingmom
Explorer
Explorer
In looking at a previous post, on the amount of weight a TV can tow, there was talk of the 5.3 L engine and ?? Gear ratio. We have a 2010 GMS Sierra crew cab, 5.3 L, but where do I look to see this "ratio"?

Our trailer weighs 5400 dry.

The truck's owners manual is about the size of an encyclopedia. I looked on the sales window sticker, but do not see anything. In searching this site, I saw mention of looking at a sticker in glove box, but it has about 30 numbers, so unsure of what I am supposed to be looking at.

Thanks for any help!
14 REPLIES 14

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Please take a read of this thread for my opinion of 3.08 vs. 3.42 with 6-spd trans. I say stick with what you have. Limit yourself to 4th gear and use tow/haul mode.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The good news is that you have the six speed transmission that will give you a towing gear, either 3rd, 4th, maybe 5th, that will put your engine in a good rpm range for towing your trailer regardless of the rear axle ratio. The diesel guys will now tell you how they tow in 6th. We, who have gasoline powered tow vehicles, generally don't.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have the 3.08 gears!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The gear ratio has to do with how much power your truck will have in pulling heavy loads. With a higher number (4.10 vs 3.55 for instance)You give up a little gas mileage (when not towing) but increase it's ability to pull loads better when under stress such as up steep hills, in the mountains, getting it started from a stop at a light, etc. You also will get slightly better mileage when towing because the engine will not have to run at as high a RPM. Lower gear ratio's 3.08, 3.42 get better mileage and have less power than higher 3.55, 3.73, 4.10 ratios when not towing. Opposite is true when towing (usually).

Most people that tow heavier trailers want one of the top two (3.73 or 4.10) for a chevy. 3.04 is going to get nice mileage when not towing but your going to be using the debit card when you are. Gonna work it hard going up hills but it will pull that trailer, just going to be screaming (high RPM's) going up hills.

I have a crew cab 4x4 with the same engine and the 3.55 gears and it runs about 4500-5200 rpms up Jellico mountain pass in Tenn. It maintained speed but sounded like it was going to jump out from under the hood.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

beachlovingmom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help!!! Our label has GU4 (which I assume is NOT the best) but it also has G80 AND the Z82.

Can someone explain in baby steps what on earth I am asking?

We have taken about 5 trips so far this year, nothing more than 2 hours away, and had no trouble so far. In the long run, after about 1 more year, we plan to do the whole "out west" thing and we are sure hoping this set-up will work.

As stated previously, our trailer dry weight is 5400 pounds.

I have quickly found that the "help" on this site is much more knowledgeable than the ones working at the dealership, although, it may not be their fault. It was a used GMC sitting at a Subaru dealership..... ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

uzikaduzi
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
to wmoses

I changed my axle ratio on a 2002 (?) 2500 Suburban from 3.73 to 4.10. Made a noticable difference towing a circa 8,000# TT.

Hurt my unloaded gas mileage a bit, but since the primary purpose of the vehicle was a tow vehicle, it was a good tradeoff. I was close to out of warranty in any case, but asked the dealer about it and they told me they would not warranty the new gearing, but that the change would not void any other part of the powertrain.

i'm surprised it hurt your gas milage a bit... unless i'm missing connotation and you intend to mean a little bit and not quite a bit. we swaped the whole rear end in my mothers suburban which included the same gear change and she only lost 1-2 mpg... maybe the shift points in the tranny needed to be corrected?

i changed mine (3.55's to 4.10's) because of bigger tires (35's) and i was able to get pretty close to my stock mileage and my speedo is back to being accurate (comparing it to my gps)

Side note: changing gearing maybe the limiting factor of tow capacity but i'd be careful when assuming that you've increased it with a gear change.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
to wmoses

I changed my axle ratio on a 2002 (?) 2500 Suburban from 3.73 to 4.10. Made a noticable difference towing a circa 8,000# TT.

Hurt my unloaded gas mileage a bit, but since the primary purpose of the vehicle was a tow vehicle, it was a good tradeoff. I was close to out of warranty in any case, but asked the dealer about it and they told me they would not warranty the new gearing, but that the change would not void any other part of the powertrain.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Look in the glove box for this sticker with list of RPOs for your truck.

You wither have GU4 (3.08) or GU6 (3.42). Also, G80 is the Eaton locking rear differential, a very good performance improving feature.

More importantly, you will want to verify you have Z82 for HD trailing package.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
While we wait for the OP to come back and say that she found her axle ratio from all the help above, I'd like to ask ....

Has anyone changed their rear end gears to increase their towing capacity?

I asked my dealer for a quote which they gave, but said that doing this will void my power train warranty - even if they did it!
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 and my trailer is also 5400 unloaded and it tows great. I also only have the 4spd tranny with 3.73. So with the 6spd and most likely the 3.42 you should be good to go. Key is to not load the truck bed much as you will run out of payload quick.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
The rear end gear code is also on the build sheet inside the glove box

It's the code beginning with "G."
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rear end gear code is also on the build sheet inside the glove box

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You can call the dealer also, give them the vin. Only takes 1-2 mins. Or you can look on you door sticker, it should have an axle code. It may be listed in your manual. Or google the axle code. Phone calls quickest.

kcook1970
Explorer
Explorer
what is your vin number? i can tell you the ratio