cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM standard bed vs Dodge standard bed pick-up

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the 6'6" standard bed. I pull a fifth wheel using a B&W Patriot hitch. I have never felt the need to have a slider hitch as I have plenty of clearance to make a tight turn.
I have been looking at the Dodge Ram trucks but have been concerned that the standard bed is 2" shorter than the GM standard beds, I do not want to go to a long bed. The Dodge truck shows 6'4" bed. This 2" would probably mean I would have to go to a sliding hitch if I went with the Dodge. Also the Dodge comes with the hitch pucks that allows you to drop in a hitch as B&W is now making hitches that will adapt to the Dodge and Ford trucks, not so with GM. The 2" difference in bed length will probably mean I will stay with the GM trucks.
Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1
28 REPLIES 28

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Some of us have no need for a tool box that size. I have a 40 gallon aux tank in my short bed and my FIL has the same tank and a chest tool box in his short bed. He drives a D-max so he needs the tool box. LOL! I have tools in everything I tow including the boat.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short bed, where would I put that big beautiful 30" front to back tool box?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
mpierce wrote:
As in everything, beds have shrunk. To me, a standard bed is 8'. All beds used to be 8'. Then, they came out with short beds.

X2 it use to be that truck manufactures fought as to who could get a 4' X 8' plywood to lay flat in the bed of the truck, with the tailgate up.

Yes but then they realized how few of us actually carry plywood in the bed and how many of us have trailers and carry stuff that doesnt require an 8ft bed. To say nothing of the weight savings to the truck.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I had a 77 GMC shorty and loved the truck but hated it for construction.

We have trailers here in Ky. We also say "You have an 8' bed? That's cute." LOL:B
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I also have a 26K mdt with a 14' flatbed dump on it, I can carry one heck of a lot more than even a reg 8' bed in a pickumup! 15 cubic yards of material if light enough, or 6 tons of material in total weight.

Then I also have a rack on the bed too. carry 20' pieces of sprinkler pipe etc up there.

At the end of the day, you need what you need. BUT, like noted by some, at one time the std bed was 8', anything shorter was a short be. Anything longer to me is a long(er) bed!

Marty

I've had 40' bar joist on the top of my F350 racks. Glad it's a long(er) bed. Probably wouldn't have been able to do it with just a long bed being a foot shorter. LOL!

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason I read thread after thread about slider hitches. I know most here have more experience than I in pulling 5ers, what I don't understand is the lack of recommendations for a Sidewinder pin box. With the sidewinder you can stop the worry over turns, and if you find you don't need the extra length for turning just pull the wedge and put the lock up bolts in if you desire. I pulled my 5er with my 05 short bed Dodge and love it. Now I have a long bed but staying with the Sidewinder turret swivel. It even make backing easier.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

blt2ski
I also have a 26K mdt with a 14' flatbed dump on it, I can carry one heck of a lot more than even a reg 8' bed in a pickumup! 15 cubic yards of material if light enough, or 6 tons of material in total weight.

Then I also have a rack on the bed too. carry 20' pieces of sprinkler pipe etc up there.

At the end of the day, you need what you need. BUT, like noted by some, at one time the std bed was 8', anything shorter was a short be. Anything longer to me is a long(er) bed!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 77 GMC shorty and loved the truck but hated it for construction.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Kip81
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
mpierce wrote:
As in everything, beds have shrunk. To me, a standard bed is 8'. All beds used to be 8'. Then, they came out with short beds.

X2 it use to be that truck manufactures fought as to who could get a 4' X 8' plywood to lay flat in the bed of the truck, with the tailgate up.

x a billion....

Get rid of the short bed, get a std bed, then you are setup.....

BUT, with this in mind, others have said you are ok with your short bed twuck wannabe. So go for it!

Marty

ps, I must be showing me age!?!?!?!?!?!:R:R:R

You sound like my brother in law that thinks shortbed trucks arent trucks. We both work construction except he had a work truck and a I use my shortbed and haul more than him.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
car2900 wrote:

Stick with the 2015 3500HD that you recently bought, problem solved.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
labren wrote:
labren wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I have a short bed on my Ram 2500, and had the same bed length on my previous Ram 3500 Megacab. I tow a 5er and do not have a sliding hitch. My 2014 Ram 2500 has the factory 5th wheel pkg.

Your 5th sits nice and level. I have a 2014 1 ton Ram crewcab and a new cougar that I want to install a hitch into. Not sure of your box size, but mine is 6.2 ft (measured twice) distance from axle to cab as near as I can tell is 37 inches. The dealer wants to sell me a Pullrite Superglide, but I see you do not use a slider. I also have a cougar as you do, a 2015 279RKS 30.2ft with what is called "max turn technology" and the information also says it has a heavy duty extended hitch...(the number on it is 1621 lippert.

I guess after all this, I am also considering the B&W Patriot (non-slider). A little confused at this moment and wondering what steps others with more experience would take to make the decision. I am quite sure the dealer would not want to be putting in multiple hitches while I try and figure which one is best.

Suggestions on this would be very helpful, thank you.

I was not sure how to get a picture of the inbox in here so I added it to the profile, please take a look if you have a minute. Thanks

I had a look. I doubt you would need a sliding hitch, especially with that front cap design. I can turn almost 90* with my set up, but I do have to be somewhat careful when I really need to turn sharp because with mine, the front cap can contact the rear window.

I have the same size box on my truck as you do.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I have a B&W in my SB Ram. No slider needed here.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dayle1 wrote:
car2900 wrote:
I currently have a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the 6'6" standard bed. I pull a fifth wheel using a B&W Patriot hitch. I have never felt the need to have a slider hitch as I have plenty of clearance to make a tight turn.
I have been looking at the Dodge Ram trucks but have been concerned that the standard bed is 2" shorter than the GM standard beds, I do not want to go to a long bed. The Dodge truck shows 6'4" bed. This 2" would probably mean I would have to go to a sliding hitch if I went with the Dodge. Also the Dodge comes with the hitch pucks that allows you to drop in a hitch as B&W is now making hitches that will adapt to the Dodge and Ford trucks, not so with GM. The 2" difference in bed length will probably mean I will stay with the GM trucks.

The critical distance is not box length, but cab-to-axle distance. And the difference is greater than just 2". GM is 41.6 inches for their 6-1/2 ft bed. Last time I checked (about 6 months ago), Dodge was still at 37+ inches. I can't recall the exact number, and it is hard to find, but anyway the difference is around 4 inches. With a straight front cap difference in max. angle will be about 9 degrees. Ford is about an inch less than GM.

Dodge's shorter cab-to-axle was not compatible with the utility bed I wanted to transfer, Ford and GM were the only options.

I agree, you need to measure from cab to axle center. My ford has a 6ft. 9 inch bed, but the GMs have a slightly longer cab to axle center.

With the Ram, you would be better off to get the long bed. With some FW fronts, and alert driver, you may get by with the standard bed Ram, and no slider.

I don't need a slider, with my Ford.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
car2900 wrote:

There is several inches of adjustment fore and aft on the B&W. A lot of short bed people adjust to fit their conditions. I always adjust full forward about 2" ahead of center line of rear axle.