cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Shopping: Half ton

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
History and background: I have a years experience towing my 3,000lbs dry TT throughout the Appalacians. I use my trusty Chevy with the 4.8liter / 3.42s. Back in 2003, we bought our first boat. At the time we had a Ford Ranger that couldn't possibly get the job done, so we shopped for a truck for towing at the time. The salesman steered us to the one we have. I wasn't educated on towing and didn't even know what gearing was. We've paid the price ever since. Don't get me wrong, the truck is capable, it just never did it with any "extra".

Aside from towing, we have LOVED this truck. Our biggest issue has been changing out the daytime running light bulb.

In the 11 years we've had it, life has changed. We now are a family of 4 and picked up the hobby of camping and travelling. I'm a school teacher and we have a goal of taking our boys on 3-4 long summer trips out West with the TT. This is where I believe our current truck is going to fail us. For one, 4 people in an extended cab. We'd live with that though if it towed better. I just don't think I've got enough truck for these long trips and the grades we'll come across out west.

I can currently climb anything in western North Carolina, but in 2nd gear at 3200rpm and 45mph.

The other concern we always fight is payload. When we load for local trips we always sag in the rear and from my rough calculations we're 4-500 pounds over. I'm 300lbs, wife is xxx, kids will each be 200lbs within the life of this new truck.

Upgrading TT? It is likely that we'll upgrade to something slightly larger, but we have a different philosophy than most. I truely don't see us ever considering anything heavier than 5,500lbs dry.

So, I'm not 100% stuck in the Chevy camp, but ours has been loyal enough to us that I'll stay loyal to Chevy unless there's a real reason not to be.

Our current truck has 270hp and 280torque. I don't know how to measure what's needed to make a significant change in my towing experience? The 5.3 liter of the last several years has seemed like a marginal improvement, but the new 2014 5.3 numbers are roughly 100 higher in hp and torque (355/387). 110 ft. lbs of torque tied to the new 6 speed transmission sounds like a leap beyond what we have. Is it?

A more specific question: I stopped at the dealership yesterday and found they had no 2014's on the lot, but were trying hard to push the 2013's they had. Even though invoice prices will remain the same, they claim that they can discount the 13's enough to give me a 9-10,000 incentive to take one.

Of course, that sounds interesting, but the 13's will not increase my hp and torque numbers as much (about half as much). Also, the fuel efficiency on the 14's is now 16/23, which would be nice for all the commuting I do the rest of the year.

Of course I'd like to save the money with a 13, but surely don't want to be disappointed like we have been with the 4.8/3.42. We'll keep this truck at least 10 years so I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Considering a 3/4 ton with the 6.0? Don't get me wrong, it scratches the "man" itch alot better, but don't forget my trailer size. And, I tow for only half the miles I'll put on this truck, I'd feel wasteful to be driving that to work every day. The 2500 also starts to climb out of my budget, so I would have to go a few years older.

What would you do in my situation? Take a deal on a 13? Wait and spend more on the 14?

Sorry. Longwinded. That was a 2 cup of coffee post! ๐Ÿ™‚
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
53 REPLIES 53

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3-I feel your pain. Went thru this for about two years before buying last year. I was torn between GMC 1/2ton or 3/4 ton knowing full well that the 3/4 ton would do best. Then a magical thing happened...I discovered the Ecoboost and did some more research and the mpg numbers,torque rating and towing capicity took me over to Ford. I have the supercrew with 6.5 bed and max tow package and do just fine with a 7800lb. trailer. You may also want to add the maxhaul package to satisfy your needs.I don't really need the s-crew, but the ride was much better and it has plenty of room for your crew. I too could not see driving a 3/4ton daily for my commute either.With the 4x4, I got the 36gal tank which allows me to fill every two weeks with my daily driving which helps out the budget by hitting our pay periods which are also every two weeks. I also do not have every bell & whistle so if you order you can keep the price down by getting what you need.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I just found a chart on the 2014 chevy crew cab, payload is 2007lbs. Which I believe is 350 pounds higher than my current truck.

The Ford website shows the 2013 crew cab with ecoboost to have a payload of 2620lbs? Is that correct? If so, that fits nicely into my needs.

Use GM fleetonline ordering guide for current teck info on the GM trucks.http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/

Use this from Ford Truck Body Builder website for tech specs on the F150 and F250 trucks. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/techspec.html
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
As said by others the MG from 150 to 250 is not that great, 05 F150 lariat 5,4l combined empty 13,5-14 MG towing 10. 12 F250 6.2l XLT combined empty 13mg towing 10. F250 empty a little les smooth ride can be bought for less than $40000 new.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe bare, but they were clearly listed under the crew cab option.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I just found a chart on the 2014 chevy crew cab, payload is 2007lbs. Which I believe is 350 pounds higher than my current truck.

The Ford website shows the 2013 crew cab with ecoboost to have a payload of 2620lbs? Is that correct? If so, that fits nicely into my needs.

I suspect those figures are for a bare truck with no options. I've heard figures closer to 2200 pounds for an ecoboost with the heavy duty payload package.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Really quality replies guys. Thanks so much. My wife and I have been sitting here with our morning coffee talking through all the variables, and it's enough to drive you crazy.

First, Donn, I figured the math this way (not all inclusive):
- 3/4 ton at an average of 11mpg (towing and not)= 100,000/11 = 9091 gallons @ $3.50 = $31,818
- 1/2 ton at an average of 17mpg (realistic with the new 2014 chevy) = 100,000/17= 5882 gallons @ $3.50 = $20,587

Difference of $11,231

As you mention, there are other expenses that favor the 3/4 ton, that should be considered.

To the option of buying used. I would jump all over a nice, used 3/4 ton. Problem is, everything I see listed with <30,000 miles is right up close to the new prices. Everything that saves significantly on price has more than 100,000 miles. So in order to free up enough in the budget to cover the extra fuel expense and the commuter car, I'd have a vehicle that I wouldn't trust all that much for 6,000 mile trips out west.

I completely understand and agree that too small a camper and not enough TV can both take the fun out of a trip. But budgets are budgets, and when you start looking at $40k to a truck and $20k to a trailer, it is just too large a price for us.

In the end, I've got a paid for half ton with 85,000 miles (that I trust) and a trailer that we owe another $5k on. We're enjoying local camping for next to nothing. Hard to stomach $8-1,000 a month in notes for conveniences.

Some of you may have noticed my thread on whether or not to buy a class C. That's another perspective to wrestle with. We see good examples that fit our needs for the same price as most of the pickup truck options. We then sell our current truck for a gas sipping commuter, sell our current trailer, and come cheaper on purchase prices.

I don't know...round and round in circles. Enough to drive you insane. In the meantime, we leave next weekend for a week camping on the beach with no notes to pay off. Hard to beat that no matter how hard the truck is working. ๐Ÿ™‚

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK lets do the math.
3/4 ton truck 100,000 miles=
1 brake job
1 set of tires,
1set of shocks
Zero tune ups
10 MPG going to work

1/2 ton truck
2 sets of P metric tires
2 brake jobs
1 set of shocks
Zero tune ups
Maybe 12 going to work

Hummm. I just don't see 12,000 dollars difference there? Maybe my math is off a bit, but the heavier duty truck will last longer all around because of the stronger components. Modern trucks if properly equipped will return fuel economy nearly identical . Remember to get the higher towing capacity you will still need the biggest motor in the 1/2 ton, same motor as used in the 3/4 ton. So where is this hugh fuel difference coming from?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
tragusa3 wrote:
Everyone is correct on their calculations of payload for my family, and it does obviously put us in 3/4 ton territory...

I just can't shake my mind of the wastefulness of driving one of those monsters as a commuter for the next 10 years. If my math is correct, over a 100,000 mile life, the 3/4ton will use approximately an extra $12k in fuel (not to mention more expensive everything). That's a very real number for a humble school teacher raising a family!

You are obviously torn and trying to save money, and who isn't? Ultimately the decision comes down to what I quoted from you. You need the payload, but you don't like the extra cost of fuel for a bigger heavier vehicle.

I do not have a F-150, but it sounds like the HD payload max tow F-150 Ecoboost could be a potential answer for you. You can get 2000 lbs of payload, have a strong enough motor to help pull up hills and still get "decent" mileage when not towing.

Another suggestion is to try to find a used 3/4 ton where you can save that $12,000 up front and have a heavier and more stable tow platform with increased payload for those growing families.

I can tell you that if you are spending significant time away from home with a family, you don't want to skimp on interior space in your camper. Inevitably you will have rainy days and the family won't be able to stretch their legs outside the camper. Tight quarters for an extended time can make it unbearable. I can also tell you that you want to make sure that you have enough engine AND transmission for tackling the mountains out west. Again... from personal experience as a child, it SUCKS to be stuck with your family in a too small camper for a week at a time while you wait for the transmission to get fixed.

I know you are working on a budget but you either want to do this right, or not do it at all. With the right truck and an adequete RV you will have a great time and your kids will remember the trips forever.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
We needed 3/4 ton as well... somebody pointed me at HD Full Sized vans as a option and you might want to check these out. My wife vetoed this concept however in the end. just a thought.

Another option if nobody has mentioned this yet: Get a older used 3/4 for towing. Then get a smaller car for a daily driver... I thought about doing this earlier in the year but I have zero luck with having a third vehicle. I always seem to have one broken down - just my luck it seems. Anyway. We ended up biting the bullet and getting the 3/4. When our Minivan needs replaced Ill try to get the wife to drive the truck for the short haul around stuff and I'll go get another gas sipper for my 60+ mile commute daily. In the meantime we will be eating the gas price as part of the cost of doing what we want to do. It is what it is..
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, it's your nickel and you can spend it anyway you want, but... I did the "justify a half ton for fuel mileage thing" last year and spent the money to upgrade to a three quarter ton this Spring. I tow a lot more than the average person, so that has something to do with it, but... With over 3,000 pounds of payload, I don't have to think twice if I want to load up my 4-wheeler, a water tank, a camper shell, generator, tool box, firewood, or any other "stuff" before hitching up my 7,000 pound trailer to go on a trip. (No, not all at once, even with the extra payload)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
If you go chevy the 2014 crew cab has a substantial amount more payload which will be helpful. If you aren't stuck on chevy the ford with the payload package and ecoboost or 5.0 should do well for you also. With either one get the 3.73 axle ratio and I think you would be happy with either one.

The other option is a 3/4 ton gas truck which really will be not much more if any. but you will have a rougher ride and lower fuel economy.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all so far for talking this out with me.

First, I shouldn't have been so strong about my preference for Chevy. I'm open to other options.

Everyone is correct on their calculations of payload for my family, and it does obviously put us in 3/4 ton territory.

We went out sitting in trucks yesterday. Sat in the 2013, 2500's and an new 2012 F250 worktruck (the only F250 we found nearby). I did like what I saw for the price on the 250. It was a crewcab, long bed asking $31k before negotiating. Anyway, what's not for a man to like about the 3/4tons? They are big honkin' trucks and it's easy to feel the higher levels of testosterone.

I just can't shake my mind of the wastefulness of driving one of those monsters as a commuter for the next 10 years. If my math is correct, over a 100,000 mile life, the 3/4ton will use approximately an extra $12k in fuel (not to mention more expensive everything). That's a very real number for a humble school teacher raising a family!

It's frustrating to think that a half ton will do what I need if it only had a few hundred pounds more payload. 2300 pounds of payload would suit our needs.

The other way to approach this is to commit to not going that heavy with a TT. Or, maybe there is a smarter way to load for our trips? Right now we're limited in trailer payload by the single axle. We could find a small, dual axle trailer and then put more of the heavier items in the trailer and behind the axle? Or we accept being overloaded for short local trips but commit to packing much lighter on our long trips out west?

Many of you will read this response and write me off thinking that my mind is set on a half ton and I'm not listening to good advice. That's not the case. I'm listening. But I truely believe my needs put me right at that dividing line.

Uggg,not easy to shop for towing needs... Good news is, I'm not in a hurry. Our trip out west is not until next summer. In the meantime, I've got time to ponder and educate myself.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you are buying new then make a requirement of your test drive, not a dozen different vehicles but when you're relatively sure what you want, to hook up your camper, loaded, and go tug it up a hill somewhere.
Any dealer worth their salt will let you do this to make a sale on a high profit margin pickup.
That said, I'd look for the bigger engine in any of the brands. 6.0 or 6.2 Chevy. Eco boost ford. I'm underwhelmed with fords 6.2. Or at least the 5.7 in a Ram.
Ram is coming out with a small diesel in their Half tons but they'll be expensive I'm sure and I wouldn't want a first year model if I planned on driving it into the ground.

If you're really going to be pulling several long trips a year a 250/2500 model is not a bad choice. The heavier chassis and suspension makes the job easier for the driver. But a half ton is ok. You're used to that and it works for you now.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Tell the dealer to find you a 2013 Chev/GMC 1500 with the 6.2L engine, 3.73 rear and the NHT tow package. That will give you 2000# of payload, towing capacity of 10,700# and a very comfortable truck that will work for you. We have one, tow 10,000# out here in the west and are very happy with our choice. We have 4 other trucks both ยพt and 1t on the ranch to use, but am completely satisfied with our Chevrolet 1500.

This sounds like a good choice, but may be hard to find. If you can't, I'd go for a 3/4 with the 6.0 if you want to stay with Chevy. I towed in the mountains of Colorado with a 5.3 Chevy last year. Note that I no longer have that truck, even though it has less than 50K miles and was a fine commuter.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow