cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to keep a TC from being stolen when not on the truck?

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
How do you keep someone from backing their truck under your TC and hauling it off when it's on the jacks and you're not around?
35 REPLIES 35

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
Don't know about a trailer, but there is a lock that goes around the hitch pin on a 5er and I assume that they would have a like lock for a trailer coupling. They would have to destroy the hitch to get the lock off. Then of course, they could not steal it anyway.
Youโ€™re assuming that a thief that was out trying to find a fifth wheel to steal wouldnโ€™t have a battery powered cutoff tool (or torch - if heโ€™s really serious) with him. Ever hear about the catalytic converter thefts? However, any thief that is going to target a TC, 5er, or trailer is going to want to have that particular unit pretty badly to begin with, because they are not normally easy targets for a quick buck.

Bedlam
You biggest worry will be battery and propane tank theft rather than the unit.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
mellow wrote:
I will lower it down so it is more stable, that and a truck can't get under it. I have powered jacks. If someone wants it bad enough they can still break in and power up the jacks from inside if they find the remote and know what they are doing. If you are worried about that happening I would put a tracking device in the camper or an airtag at a minimum.

or just declutch them and use a drill with a end like the manual crank has, disconecting the batteries or hiding the remote won't stop the ability you run the jacks by hand.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Geo*Boy wrote:
srschang wrote:
I don't worry about it.

This^^^^

Ditto.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
I used to disconnect the batteries that are in a locked compartment.
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know about a trailer, but there is a lock that goes around the hitch pin on a 5er and I assume that they would have a like lock for a trailer coupling. They would have to destroy the hitch to get the lock off. Then of course, they could not steal it anyway.

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s to stop someone from stealing a fifth wheel, travel trailer, Motorhome, etc.? IMHO it seems to be pretty much a nonissue. Stick dog appears to have the best answer.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
greenno wrote:

If I dropped it off out in the boonies for whatever reason and somebody attempted to heist it I always carry a firearm and I always carry a shovel.
Do the math.

I would love to hear how the tools would work. If you have left the camper, with some kind of trap set...

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Something my daddy taught me years ago. If you can't afford to replace it, insure it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it's more about where you park it than what you do to prevent destroying/removing it.

Most vehicles aren't capable of hauling mine off, so I'm going with not worried about someone stealing it. I keep the jack remote in my truck, so if the TC is lowered, they have almost zero chance of taking it.

I think the bigger concern is breaking into it to steal things for their local pawn shop or craigslist. That goes back to where you leave it. Most campgrounds in semi rural areas are going to be pretty safe with lots of other RVs around. It's more likely that they break into the other more typical RVs.

Adding a proximity alarm probably wouldn't be a bad idea which might stop someone from breaking in.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Chuck_and_Di
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be curious to see a reference to this ever happening. I'd wager most thieves would not even know how to load it, let alone have a truck to carry it. There are far easier things to steal.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jedidad wrote:
srschang wrote:
I don't worry about it.

Itโ€™s not worry, itโ€™s precaution. I lock my truck when I go to a restaurant etc. I lock my house when I leave.

Sure, but you canโ€™t stop someone with a rollback from hauling away your locked truck. Thatโ€™s more likely than anyone trying to haul away a camper.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jedidad wrote:
srschang wrote:
I don't worry about it.

Itโ€™s not worry, itโ€™s precaution. I lock my truck when I go to a restaurant etc. I lock my house when I leave.

And you lock your camper. That said never leave your camper off the truck with the jacks extended. Always lower it to the point where the back bumper is just a few inches off the ground. Then take the remote with you in the truck if that's what you need for piece of mind
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
srschang wrote:
I don't worry about it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This be a funny threadโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold