cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

integrated trailer brake controller

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering the 2014 Silverado and an option is an integrated trailer brake controller. Does anyone have experience with this option and how well does it work? Thanks.
29 REPLIES 29

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
I also thought my prodigy was top notch but the IBC is night and day better. Just plug your trailer in and you are done. Trailer gain settings are all on my dash readout. Definitely a top 3 feature on my truck.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

APT
Explorer
Explorer
ITBC also integrates into the vehicle's ABS system. It will lower the voltage on the trailer brakes when it senses the TV wheels are slipping.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:

...even has built-in sway control (senses sway and applies just enough trailer brakes to keep things straight)...

Good point. I believe they also sense early trailer sway and apply separate lateral braking. I generally dislike the various traction control features on my F250, but the trailer towing features are very nice, and make me feel much more comfortable. The IBC also lets me track the miles on individually "remembered" trailers.

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
My Ram 2500 has one and I love it. I just wish it were on the right side of the steering wheel instead of the left. I like to drive with my left hand.

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
anaro wrote:
Omg stop the presses, everybody on rv.net actually agreed on something? We need to mark this day in history.

Not me. I think these IBCs are absolute garbage and i wouldnt own one if you paid me............ok just kidding. I tryed my friends ford with ibc and was totally impressed with the smoothness of the aplication of the tt brakes. Well worth the $300 or so option price.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a Tekonsha Prodigy inertial controller on my '05 Tahoe. It worked OK, but the integrated controller on our '13 2500HD is heads and shoulders above the Tekonsha - even has built-in sway control (senses sway and applies just enough trailer brakes to keep things straight). We had an incident towing on I-20 just south of Columbia, SC, last month when a little old lady (not kidding) ramped on at about 35 MPH in front of two semis running abreast at 70+. The semis smoked the rubber/concrete interface and I stood on the brakes to avoid rear-ending them. No wheel lockup from either the TV or TT and everything stayed in a perfectly straight line. Fortunately, I had a change of underwear in the TT...
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
BrakeSmart & MaxBrake sold controllers that worked just like the current IBC units. Few would buy them and claim that their choice was better. It is great to see that folks now can now finally understand.

Correct, but you should add in the Jordan Ultima 2020 which was way before BrakeSmart and MaxBrake..

As a a owner and user of a Jordan Ultima 2020 and now an owner and user of a Ford F250 with IBC I can tell you that the IBC operation IS as smooth as my old Jordan.

Moving to a new vehicle with a IBC if you are currently using a P2, P3, Intertial clones and or time based you will notice a IBC is a set it once and forget it controller. No fiddling with boost or dialing in a setting for varying road conditions like city or rural traffic..

The IBC to those folks who have never experienced (or tried) a controller which has some form of direct connection will be kicking themselves for putting up with those other methods for so many years once they try out a IBC..

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Equally as nice as the IBC's are would be OEM integrated adjustable towing mirrors and back-up camera. All 3 of those options would be must have's for me after having them.
I love me some land yachting

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
IBCs are such a great idea that it is sort of like sliced bread... Whoever thought of it first isn't all that important.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Well..........you saw agreement on the original question, IBC yes or no, but then the "brand wars" started up.

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Omg stop the presses, everybody on rv.net actually agreed on something? We need to mark this day in history.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
peirek wrote:
The IBC and the Tow/Haul make for an extremely satisfying towing experience. Both a must have IMHO!

20 yes; 0 against; Seems like you have a consensus.

Wow I don't think I have ever seen that

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
The IBC and the Tow/Haul make for an extremely satisfying towing experience. Both a must have IMHO!

20 yes; 0 against; Seems like you have a consensus.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
BrakeSmart & MaxBrake sold controllers that worked just like the current IBC units. Few would buy them and claim that their choice was better. It is great to see that folks now can now finally understand.