cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More diesel news; when it rains............

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
More diesels bound for US market.

This sucks. Diesel is about 10 cents higher then regular around here. 🙂 If every soccer mom in the US gets a diesel it will drive #2 up, up, up and out of sight. :M
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
53 REPLIES 53

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
TECMike wrote:
I suspect in the USA we are finally following the world's automotive trend of past decades. Smaller cars and more diesel vehicles being manufactured and driven.

fixed
I love me some land yachting

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
TECMike wrote:
I suspect we are following Europe's automotive trend of past decades. Smaller cars and more diesel vehicles being manufactured and driven.

Yepir. Maybe they will start importing the smart car diesel to Canada again. We'll treasure our little diesels till they die. Haven't seen any of the hybrids come out with 70 MPG yet. :).

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
skyhammer wrote:
Here in NW CA., diesel has been 5 cents cheaper or the same as regular gas since Jan.

Curious where NW CA is? Reg is $3.59 and Diesel is $3.99 here...........

Humboldt County
Diesel is about $4/gallon, gas is about $4.10/gallon as of last week.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect we are following Europe's automotive trend of past decades. Smaller cars and more diesel vehicles being manufactured and driven.

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
I pay for both gas and diesel, up here its cheaper to fuel up my diesel then the wife's 2012 Ram 1500 gasser 😛

and when I fuel up at the bulk station I get my diesel even cheaper!! (whole sale rather then retail price)
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
my duramax is parked in my attached garage every night .
my garage is sheetrocked and painted just like the house .
my diesel does not smell up the garage.
i don't idle in the garage so the fumes dissapate easily .
i don't track in the house either .
my experience is that i was concerned about those issues until i owned one .
i discovered that my diesel was quieter at highway speeds than the stock Vortec 7400 that preceeded it .
in central Oregon we are paying $3.89 for B5 Diesel fuel and $ 3.89 for gasoline 10 % methanol .

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
Wow, you should be so fortunate. Here it is $.50 higher. It was not to long ago it was $1.00 plus higher than regular.
Does it still smell, track on the rug in the house. Make the pumps all dirty. Just like slip and slide. I think maybe I will buy a gas model.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Hate paying more for diesel fuel - however just finished a trip to the west and back - glad I had a diesel. Tow Haul mode and exhaust brake worked great in the west.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:
PARK IT...

What vulgar language!
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
turtle I think thats a great idea, run for president and I,d vote four that.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
skyhammer wrote:
Here in NW CA., diesel has been 5 cents cheaper or the same as regular gas since Jan.

Curious where NW CA is? Reg is $3.59 and Diesel is $3.99 here...........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
elkhornsun wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
More diesels bound for US market.

This sucks. Diesel is about 10 cents higher then regular around here. 🙂 If every soccer mom in the US gets a diesel it will drive #2 up, up, up and out of sight. :M

Supply and demand has little to do with the price of gas or diesel in the USA. Fully a 30% of the cost goes to the same Wall Street speculators that tanked the US economy. Another 15% goes to fuel taxes.

The automakers are moving to diesel to improve their fleet average MPG to meet Federal CAFE requirements while still selling larger and heavier and more profitable trucks and cars. Overall I see it as very positive as it could mean more gas stations selling diesel. In the western USA about 20% of the stations have diesel and many at higher than premium prices as there is no competition in their area.

The real cost of motor fuel is the $3 trillion wars we are fighting for the international oil companies so they can exploit the energy resources of Afghanistan and Iraq. And there will be the cost in future years of treating millions of vets with cancers caused by our military's use of radioactive ammunition.

:h Hmmmmm, that's funny, when TOSCO or Richmond CUSA goes off line for a shutdown or a fire or whatever, prices in my area go up 50+ cents over night.

I personally think USA crude should be treated like a national security risk. Crude or boiled down product(gas or diesel) should not be exported. If it's found and made in the USA, it should stay here.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interesting take on the new diesel movement from Pickuptrucks.com.

Still, the biggest hurdles may not be consumer driven. Diesel is not recognized by the government as an "alternative fuel," so companies producing and selling diesel engines do not qualify for subsidies like electric, hydrogen or hybrid technologies do. If that changes, we could see the costs for diesel fuel and diesel engine technology drop considerably.

We predict that as people recognize the strengths of diesel engines and fuel, and as more people get a chance to experience their torquey powertrains, the numbers could grow faster than predicted. And when the first company to sell a decent diesel hybrid in the U.S. succeeds, the momentum will build even faster. Of course, when we have more fuel-efficient vehicles on the road — thereby reducing tax revenues for city, state and federal governments — you can bet government will find another way to squeeze money from our transportation cost savings.

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
If I drove short trips of 15 minutes or less daily, I would be looking at an electric vehicle.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
PARK IT...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)