cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help!

MFOX
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking ito a new tow vehicle. Right now we have a kz frontier travel trailer but we are looking into a 5th wheel eventually. We are looking at Ford f-250 and f-350 or Dodge Ram 2500. Please be nice with your answers. We don't want to go diesel or dually because it is used as a daily vehicle too. Thank you for your help.
MFox
Wonderful DH
Three kids:)
Daughter 99
Sons 01 & 05
Four rescue dogs who are wonderful!
15 REPLIES 15

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Any of those are very capable. Select the lower gear ratios (higher numerically) for the most capability. I've noticed most of the vehicles on the lots are geared for the best fuel economy, thus sacrificing towing capability. For the Ford it's the 4.30, for the Ram it's 4.10. I don't know what the GM products offer, but I'm sure it's similar.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
F350 with 6.2 gas V8 and 4.30 gears is the most capable gas single rear wheel pickup currently available for pulling a fifth wheel.

X2
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Use my F350 diesel drw as a daily driver. I also have a motorcycle that I ride when it's not ridiculously hot outside like it has been lately.
I've always had no problems parking the big truck. Just have to walk a little farther. Good for me. Pulls like a monster too. No longer limited to what I can tow but I already seem to have the last trailer I'll need. So far.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
As long as you are willing to COMPROMISE and choose a 5th wheel that is within the capacity and capability of the truck, any of those trucks will do.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
The F250/2500 are artificially capped by classification at 10,000 lbs GVWR which make it look like they have low payload. They typically are just as capable as the F350/3500 SRW if you configure the options correctly. If you live in an area where heavier vehicles are not allowed to park or there is significant higher registration or inspection cost, it is an option.

If you do not have these restrictions, start at the F350/3500 SRW and configure it for the maximum payload by selecting the highest rated tires/rims and heaviest suspension.

If you decide on a short bed, you may need a slider hitch to safely back up a fifth wheel and not cause cab damage. This hitch will be more costly and heavier than the basic fixed model, so try to get the long bed. Some manufacturers use a smaller fuel tank with the short bed (this was my biggest peeve of owning one).

Get the highest ratio axle gears available for a gas engine since it makes power at higher RPM's. You will get slightly worse unloaded mileage, but a better towing experience. If you later find that the gearing is too low, you can always upgrade to a taller tire when the OEM's wear out.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2014 Ram 2500 diesel gets 14-16 around town towing a small trailer every day
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
F350 with 6.2 gas V8 and 4.30 gears is the most capable gas single rear wheel pickup currently available for pulling a fifth wheel.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'll try to be "nice", but may I suggest you re-think the possibilities of diesel and potentially a duly. Once you tow with a diesel and especially a duly, you'll understand. (especially if you are think 5er!) You've heard the advertisement, "Nothing runs like a Deere" (John Deere tractors and mowers)... well, if you've never tried one, you'll never understand. Same is true with diesel / duly. (and FYI, I use mine for a daily driver all the time, it's 25 miles 1 way to my office.)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I don't understand what the question is either.
You say your looking at these trucks and that's great; they'll do the job.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
My wife drives our 3500 diesel to work daily and loves it. She's getting 16 mpg just one less then her Town Car was getting. Don't pass on a diesel for daily driving, just get it on a good long trip once is awhile and drive like you stole it and you shouldn't have any issues.

You'll love the power of a diesel once you try it.

Camp on.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ford F 350 of those mentioned. You should consider the 4.30 rear gear ratio.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Be nice with what answers?

There were no questions. :h
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
camp-n-family wrote:
If you're thinking 5th wheel, go straight to the 350/3500. More capable for not much more money. Why limit yourself. A lot of 3/4 ton trucks are over payload with 5th wheels. I have a Ram 2500 and gasser and it only has 2200lbs of payload. I'd be overweight with many of those "1/2 ton towable" fivers before the family even got in the truck.

Ditto on that go for a one ton of whatever brand.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
All of those have good gas offerings, I like the GM series but drive each one and see what you like. All will perform similar, just look at the payloads and what overall value fits your pocket book.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.