Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

On the road with 12v charging problem

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox TC

I have 12v to the camper from the trucks charging system but the TC's batteries are not getting charged. TC batteries charge with either shore power or generator but not with the vehicle charging system.

I have verified that I do have power (using test light) to the plug mounted on the camper. I even removed the plug and verified power slightly downstream of the plug.

Any thoughts?

Where does the power wire go after it enters the camper?

If I don't respond it's not because I'm ungrateful it's more likely that I have no cell service.

Thanks

Mike
12 REPLIES 12

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
You need a dedicated charge wire of at least 10 guage, and a matching ground wire if you want your truck to charge your camper batteries. Direct from the truck battery to the camper battery, with only a switch or solenoid, and a very heavey duty connector plug. The reason is that your trucks alternator senses the battery's state of charge by measuring its voltage, then adjusts its output accordingly. It needs to see all of your batteries as one. The heavey wire accomplishes that. If there is any resistance in the connection between the truck and camper batteries, the alternator will only sense the charge level of the truck battery, and will not put out enough voltage to recharge the camper batteries as you drive.

I hope this helps, good luck, Joel
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Don't expect amazing charge ability from your 7 pin, the wire size to your RV is just too small. I have the same problem, I barely charge much at all even with a HP Alternator. It is what it is.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
My Bigfoot camper had a circuit breaker after the truck charge wire entered the camper from the Bargeman plug, but before wire went to the power converter...mine was under setteee seat..check around and you may find the same.....
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the help. I have been in the mountains and just got into cell service and read your replies. I'm going to start by checking voltage with a meter as opposed to the test light. Off to a hardware store.

More to follow.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe we're not reading you right. When you say you verified power downstream of the plug, do you mean in the camper? I'm not clear whether you've verified you have power in the wire coming from the truck.
The other thing that plays into troubleshooting this, did it work before and quit working, or is this a new setup that hasn't been sorted out yet?
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jdcellarmod
Explorer
Explorer
12 volt from the truck should go through a fuse or circuit breaker then through a battery separator. The battery separator may have a fuse inside.

Jeff
2021 Ram 3500 short bed dually
2020 Arctic Fox 865 short bed
2021 Nitro Z18

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Mark. A voltmeter will also let you find the bad contact by measuring the voltage across the contact if there is a load.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the position of the connector was making bad contact. Ended up using a bungie cord to hold the cable opposite it's natural lay and back to pushing expected current.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem. You say you used a test light. You need to measure the actual voltage. In my case, there was a drop of about 2 volts caused by the deteriorated solenoid contacts feeding the charge line to the camper. There was voltage but it was too low to charge camper batteries. Replacing the solenoid fixed it. There could also be a voltage drop from any poor connections between the truck and camper. Bottom line is you have to MEASURE the voltage. Should be at least 13.5 or more volts getting to the batteries. Hope this helps. -Mark.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crazy Creek wrote:
Arctic Fox TC

I have 12v to the camper from the trucks charging system but the TC's batteries are not getting charged. TC batteries charge with either shore power or generator but not with the vehicle charging system.

I have verified that I do have power (using test light) to the plug mounted on the camper. I even removed the plug and verified power slightly downstream of the plug.
Then problem is with camper charge wire to battery

Any thoughts?

Where does the power wire go after it enters the camper?

If I don't respond it's not because I'm ungrateful it's more likely that I have no cell service.

Thanks

Mike

My old camper.......
from backside of camper plug----Wiring went to a terminal block that had individual fuses for each circuit.....running lights/turn signals/brake lights/battery

Battery charge wire then went directly to POS battery post

(Gen or shore power go thru converter charger)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The easy way to tell is to use a mulitmeter across the trailer battery terminals with no shore power or generator connected. You will read 12.6-7VDC if the trailer battery is fully charged. Then with the truck 7-way connector plugged in and the truck motor running you should see the DC VOLTAHE across the trailer battery terminals jump up to around 14VDC. This will tell if the truck is charging your trailer battery.

On my trailer setup my truck with the iginition key has to be turned on and the truck motor running of course. MY 2010 F150 Truch has a relay and a fuse labeled tow charge or something to that effect that I found in the glove box in an unmarked plastic bag and had to install these two items in the Truck fuse panel to get mine to work. The truck manual identifed these two location as tow charger I think it was... The FUSE and RELAY allows the TRAILER TOW CHARGE to be controlled by the truck ignition key on my truck.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest thing is to check the truck fuse first. After entering the camper I believe it goes to the converter fuse panel.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem is more likely with the truck. Some have to be enabled. What kind of truck/year/model do you have?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member