cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram vs Ford vs Chevy frame twist

estesbubba
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to determine a winner from the two videos but one brand appears to have the bronze medal locked up.

Ram vs Ford

Chevy vs Ford
--Bubba

2008 Keystone Cougar 291RLS 5er
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab with 6.7L Cummins

Our Website
27 REPLIES 27

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
davidaf wrote:
I conceded, my Ford would lose that test and i wont be able to open my tailgate! Oh wait, I don't care 'cause somebody stole my bloody tailgate anyway! Hate thieves! Maybe they were just concerned with my frame flex??

Wait, wait, wait is it the Montana with Lippert frame that flexes and the Ford that twists? I can't keep track of all the problems I need to worry about. :S

If you had a Ram the tailgate locks when you lock the doors so you would still have a tailgate.;) Just joking with ya.

What genius at Ford forgot that feature? Or was it a future income stream decision. hum...
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the frame is going to be aluminum is it?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
First it was the 6.0- then it was the fire breathing 6.4, now its the frame flex...Ford ought to just hang it up and sell bicycles.

Seriously, No truck is perfect. There are some things that are better about the Ford- or the Dodge- or the GM.

My guess is that the new aluminum frame Super Duty won't flex like that and the Dodge and GM guys will have to find some other way to get under the Ford guys skin.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
davidaf wrote:
I conceded, my Ford would lose that test and i wont be able to open my tailgate! Oh wait, I don't care 'cause somebody stole my bloody tailgate anyway! Hate thieves! Maybe they were just concerned with my frame flex??

Wait, wait, wait is it the Montana with Lippert frame that flexes and the Ford that twists? I can't keep track of all the problems I need to worry about. :S

If you had a Ram the tailgate locks when you lock the doors so you would still have a tailgate.;) Just joking with ya.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, darn crappy Fords and yet people are buying more of them than the rest. Stupid people. :B

:B they are buying more cause they're trying to find one where the tailgate opens :B
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer

2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, these do get more routine, and thus old.

Now, if you wanna talk about a great truck, why we had a brand spanking new International Harvester pickup delivered to our shop back in the late 1970's.

Our shop foreman was assigned the vehicle, and it was to be used for service calls.

Yep, a real winner. First day we had it, you could only get in one door from the outside, the other side handle didn't work.

And, on the plus side, you could only get out from the opposite side door that you came in from. Inside handle didn't work on one side.

A real, quality controlled, jewel of a vehicle. And they wondered why they quit making them.

Course, now that we're talking IH trucks, some of those old IH Scouts are much sought after now-a-days.

OK, memory has been jogged, and now back to our normal programming.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Its great to see a good brand argument. Now if they all weren't pretty darn good trucks there would be no reason to argue.

Go Ram
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Never had A problem with tailgate jamming on our dodge in fact it used to fly off at the earliest oportunity .The box sides rusted out so bad that the tailgate wouldn't stay on.. Much to the entertainment of those driving behind us. A good laugh was had by all..not..
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, darn crappy Fords and yet people are buying more of them than the rest. Stupid people. :B
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
The tailgate wouldn't open with all four tires on the ground. We were loading wood.

Boy some people sure get butt hurt in here.

I'd call the WAAAAmbulance but it's powerstroke engine blew up again.

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
This is old and only serves to stir the pot.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
I always chuckle with these tests. Ike Gauntlet, Frame Twist and on and on. If your preferred brand of 3/4 or 1 ton truck doesn't win then the test is flawed or it's not a realistic test. Ford, Ram and Chevy all make capable and excellent trucks. They all will do a fine job. The same is true of the aforementioned three trucks and the Toyota and Nissan in the 1/2 ton class of truck (forgive me if I missed a top selling brand). It's more about personal preference in looks, color schemes, features and what you'll be using the truck for. Is it a dedicated tow vehicle, is it your everyday driver, does it look cool to you, price, what your family has always driven and a host of other things all play a role in forming our opinions and what we ultimately drive. Maybe instead of the "mine is better than yours" mentality, we should just be thankful we're in a position financially to have a truck that is capable of doing what it is we want to do with it!

Well it sounds good for you flat landers.

But - here I it is - a real true story - had a loaded Ford 3/4 ton in no where Utah. Going through a nasty bit of sand. The frame twisted so bad I had to crawl trough the window - both doors jammed and the tail gate was useless.

A Dodge came through the same spot with out a problem.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I always chuckle with these tests. Ike Gauntlet, Frame Twist and on and on. If your preferred brand of 3/4 or 1 ton truck doesn't win then the test is flawed or it's not a realistic test. Ford, Ram and Chevy all make capable and excellent trucks. They all will do a fine job. The same is true of the aforementioned three trucks and the Toyota and Nissan in the 1/2 ton class of truck (forgive me if I missed a top selling brand). It's more about personal preference in looks, color schemes, features and what you'll be using the truck for. Is it a dedicated tow vehicle, is it your everyday driver, does it look cool to you, price, what your family has always driven and a host of other things all play a role in forming our opinions and what we ultimately drive. Maybe instead of the "mine is better than yours" mentality, we should just be thankful we're in a position financially to have a truck that is capable of doing what it is we want to do with it!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.