Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide toppers

nike_holley
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all...

We are new to Travel Trailers, having come from a class A...

We have a deep, long slide on our trailer with no slide topper...

What is the general thoughts on toppers..??.. we do camp in the snow several times a year...

Thanks...

Nate
Sharin' life with my Great Wife..!!..
28 REPLIES 28

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Would'nt own a trailer without them

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will never be without them again. pros out weigh the cons.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
There is another post on this topic under "travel trailer" forum from 11/11/15 with pro and con opinions. I was the poster and my conclusion once I got the cost estimate from my dealer of over $600 is that I could spend 3 minutes brushing the leaves off my slide roof with my little step ladder and broom and save the $600 for more critical things!

If you lived in the wet NW, you'd probably reconsider! ๐Ÿ™‚

I found mine to be invaluable, because they shed rain. Before the toppers, the slides would dump water into the trailer when I brought them in. So far, in light snow at least, they work fine and simply dump the snow when I bring them in, but it does take some in-out motion to get all the snow off. My trailer is 11' at the roof, and has 4 slideouts. Clearing snow off all of them would take more time than I want to spend on my weekends.

I do need to add the full-length guards to mine. It turns out the end caps are really good at snagging tree branches. I've broke two of them so far. But most of my camping is way up primitive forest roads.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
There is another post on this topic under "travel trailer" forum from 11/11/15 with pro and con opinions. I was the poster and my conclusion once I got the cost estimate from my dealer of over $1000 is that I could spend 3 minutes brushing the leaves off my slide roof with my little step ladder and broom and save the $1000 for more critical things!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
It's odd that just about every motorhome comes with them and most TT's don't. I've always had motorhomes and really liked the slide topers. Since moving to the TT world I've installed them on my TT also. I'm too old to be climbing on the roof and sweeping the sticks and pine cones off the slides before bring them in.

Also, they keep things a little cooler by shading the slides and prevent 99% of water accumulation on the top of the slides. I never had one single bad experience with them on my motorhomes and don't expect to have any problems on the TT.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had leaves, acorns and such push under the seal on closing, fortunately no water.

A slide awning would be nice. It is on our "to get" list.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
nike holley wrote:
Hey all...

We have a deep, long slide on our trailer with no slide topper...

Nate

Keep in mind that a deep, long slide will give the most trouble. Wind and sagging may be a problem.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Got them, love them and will always have them.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I had them on the MH and I am ordering them for the FW. I wasn't going to but when I pulled the slides in and had to mop up water from the morning dew decided to buy them.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

nike_holley
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know they had ones with the metal wrap..!!..

Our awning had that on our class A & it seemed like a good idea to prevent fading & wear...

Thanks...

Nate
Sharin' life with my Great Wife..!!..

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Had trailers with them and without them..

The benefits far out weigh the negatives.
We just ordered a new trailer with them.

Suggest you consider the model that has the metal wrap that protects the material when it is rolled up.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Get 'em. I'll never go without them again. Here's another recent thread on the topic.

Edit: changes link. First attempt was wrong.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never seen a need for them, but I'm sure they have their benefits. The only time I wanted some was when parked under trees shedding leaves. But I rarely do that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman