cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold the Tundra... : (

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well boys and girls, another Tundra owner down. With the new trailer and all the stuff that my wife likes to bring camping with us now I was a couple hundred lbs over my payload on our last trip. As the kids grow and we acquire more "stuff" in the new trailer, I knew that we would go further and further over the Tundra's payload.

I had been watching truck prices and stumbled upon a used 2015 Ram 2500 with the Cummins, 10K miles for $39K. I checked the trailer wire connectors, still brand new with the factory di-electric grease untouched inside... never towed! It was super clean and only a little more money than a new gas would have set me back. The dealer also provides a lifetime powertrain warranty. We couldn't pass up the deal and brought it home tonight.

Sad to see the Tundra go. It was a wonderful truck and did everything that we asked it to do. Towing was a breeze with the Tundra... but I can only imagine how much better the Cummins will pull.

Surprisingly, the Ram with the coil suspension doesn't feel nearly as harsh as I would have expected. We will be headed out on the first tow this weekend to the beach. Can't wait to see how the Cummins pulls.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS
50 REPLIES 50

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
transferred wrote:
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
Hope it works out for you. Start saving now for repair bills. Dodge just doesn't have the reliability of the Toyota brand. Now Fiat/Chrysler has to buy back all those poorly designed Ram trucks!! Goodluck to you.

What a rude post after the guy has spent a lot of money on keeping his combo legal. Until Toyota offer a truck that has more payload than the average car, many of us will sensibly stick with the Big Three.

There's always one guy..... :R
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Hope it works out for you. Start saving now for repair bills. Dodge just doesn't have the reliability of the Toyota brand. Now Fiat/Chrysler has to buy back all those poorly designed Ram trucks!! Goodluck to you.

Sounds like sour g****s to me. Enjoy your grocery getter.

Edit - why would a fruit be censored by this message board?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:

What a rude post after the guy has spent a lot of money on keeping his combo legal. Until Toyota offer a truck that has more payload than the average car, many of us will sensibly stick with the Big Three.

@Transferred,
I agree it was a rude post. I have been in the vehicle repair industry for many years, and have noticed many Tundra owners, along with many other foreign vehicle owners being rude like that towards people who purchase and drive American (big three) vehicles. A cross town colleague of mine has a customer with a Prius that openly verbally attacks folks at gas stations who don't drive foreign vehicles. Telling them that anyone who supports American brands are morons, and idiots, and a few other choice words that would not look proper in print. I can't wait until it is my turn, with me getting gas the same time he is there. I will have a lot to say to him.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:

Good point. Not only rude but a ignorant statement.
First thing I thought of was those Dodge/Cummins trucks that went over a million miles towing commercially with very few repair bills considering.
Now I as most folks don't expect any brand 1500 truck to last a million miles towing trailers commercially.....even a Tundra.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

transferred
Explorer
Explorer

05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
debndave wrote:
I bought a 2008 Tundra for several reasons. The reputation. The durability. The ride. And the fact that at the time no one else could match the power and torque of the 5.7L V8.
However, things have changed and the "big three" all have V8s with more hp and torque. So when I get ready to buy new I'll have to look around again. Looks like you found a good deal. Congratulations!

The ride? Unfortunately on the concrete expansion joints of SoCal freeways the Tundra bed bounces itself to death.

I agree re the powertrain btw, it's the best gasser and very proven along with the 6-speed auto.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats!

The Tundra is a nice half ton beast....but the CTD is a monster.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

debndave
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2008 Tundra for several reasons. The reputation. The durability. The ride. And the fact that at the time no one else could match the power and torque of the 5.7L V8.
However, things have changed and the "big three" all have V8s with more hp and torque. So when I get ready to buy new I'll have to look around again. Looks like you found a good deal. Congratulations!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChopperBill wrote:
Sell a Tundra and getting a real truck, best news I've heard all day.

I double checked the OP - he said he's buying a Ram not a Kenworth...

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, that's a big step up in truck. Not a bad deal either. I paid that for mine new a few months ago but it's just a Tradesman. You're going to love the torque and fuel economy.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are going to love the power and reliability of your new truck! Good for you.

PICS!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
E.Lee Galik

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Sell a Tundra and getting a real truck, best news I've heard all day.

Ow !!LOL
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! You may miss the Tundra now but you certainly won't after pulling with the Cummins :B It will pull much better and get better mileage doing so. What others are saying about it not downshifting is true as well. Our fifth wheel weighs 15,500 lbs and I don't think I downshifted from 6th into 5th more than about 10 times pulling it 700 miles home over 2 large mountain passes.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

fasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same thing back in May, but I went with the gas 6.4 engine, so far I am pleased with it. I had a 2008 Tundra crewmax 5.7 and it was a great truck and engine , not a single issue with it, got rid of it for the same issues you mentioned. I think the Tundra handled the heavy loads pretty well and to be honest I don't notice a huge difference in towing but it is nice not to have to worry about every little thing we pack causing the truck to be over on payload, the Ram I have has double the payload the Tundra had. The payload was the achillies heel of the Tundra and probably most half tons.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
2012 Jayco White Hawk 31dslb