cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spray oil underneath truck

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
Want to spray the bottom of my 2005 Ford with motor oil. I have a gravel drive and keeping my truck on it is not great and it is beginning to get surface rust. Can I use 5w30 through my garden sprayer. SHould I heat it up first?
ANyone ever do this? Thanks in advacne.
39 REPLIES 39

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Sorry, but you've already lost the battle. Your problem is the rust that is already present. You'll never get rid of it. Anything you do will only seal it in. And every time you throw up a rock off that gravel drive, or that piece of salt you kicked up out on the highway, it will start more rust. Not to mention that nice salt bath you have to drive in all winter will find every possible crevice. A film of oil applied 6 months ago (or 6 days ago) won't stop anything.
Tim

I'm going to have to disagree with you on part of this statement, Tim. Products like Ospho or Jasco Metal Prep use phosphoric acid to neutralize the existing rust. The OP is talking about surface rust not body perforating rust that has caused irreversible damage. I have had great success in stopping rust dead in its tracks with phosphoric acid based products. Even products like Fluid Film react with the rust to neutralize it as well as provide a wax like residue protective film.

Again I agree that using motor oil is very irresponsible way to go. It has numerous ramifications even if you don't care about the environment. I also believe that undercoating does little more than create pockets to trap salt and moisture and usually ends up creating worse problems than you would have on an untreated vehicle.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but you've already lost the battle. Your problem is the rust that is already present. You'll never get rid of it. Anything you do will only seal it in. And every time you throw up a rock off that gravel drive, or that piece of salt you kicked up out on the highway, it will start more rust. Not to mention that nice salt bath you have to drive in all winter will find every possible crevice. A film of oil applied 6 months ago (or 6 days ago) won't stop anything.

I always Ziebarted my vehicles when I lived up north. It works but only if applied from the git go. I still remember driving a new car straight from the dealer to the Ziebart place - they still insisted on steam cleaning it before the application.

Don't the domestic manufacturers all still have a factory 100,000 mile warranty against rust ?

And for the record, I really don't want to follow anyone on a rainy day who has sprayed any kind of petroleum product on the chassis of their truck. I imagine all the motorcyclists are especially thrilled at that idea. Yes, I used to ride (that's how I got the camping bug).

Lived in Iowa for 48 years so I do have some experience. The state bird is made out of salt.

Tim

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in Upstate NY; "land of we can never put to much salt on the roads." Just wash the darn thing! I wash more in the winter than I do summer. Don't worry about the exterior, spray up underneath wheel wells, open the hood, the doors etc. You are going to get cold, wet and messy, but what is your vehicle worth to you. Once a year or so I put it on ramps and get underneath with a wire brush and a can of dollar store rustoleum.
Only rust bucket I've owned in forty years was an early 70's Fiat Wagon.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Many around here use the oil treatment. After it is applied, they drive down a few miles of dry dirt road to seal it up. I have worked in a repair shop where these vehicles go up on a lift. They lookm so much better than untreated vehicles. not only frame and suspension parts. But also the trans cooling lines and brake lines too. Need to retreat every year. It's cheap to do. So I say go for it.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
akronharry wrote:
Just bought some Fluid Film (2 12 ounce aerosol cans) online.
Will try that first.

I think that you will like the Fluid Film but you may need a few more cans. It only lasts a year or so and will come off when pressure washed. Keep a few cans in stock to reapply where needed.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
OSPHO will work but will not be permanent.

It is phosphoric acid which interacts with rust (iron oxide) to produce Iron phosphate.

Good bare and lightly rusted metal prep.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Use Amsoil Metal Protector HD, it goes on wet and dries to a waxy film that DOESN"T attract dirt or dust. Fluid Film works but is sticky.

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
I`ve been spraying used diesel oil on & into my trucks for years...like 35 years now. It has certainly helped immensely. I haven`t had to spray the truck in my sig...it`s never seen winter roads or salt. I took an old 20 lb propane tank and made it into an air pressurized siphon feed system, with then a wand to get the oil into the cracks and crevices, and into the door panels. I usually would use about 1.5 gallons to do the job.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live real close to you, canton area, in my teen days alot of the old guys did this to there cars, they used road salt back then and still do, guess the odot people haven,t found any thing better to melt ice.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Just loosen your oil plug a little and drive down the road at 70 MPH.

500 miles should do it.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought some Fluid Film (2 12 ounce aerosol cans) online.
Will try that first.

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Krown rust control T40 works great. Dont know if you have them in the USofA though.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
JamesBr wrote:
we used to use diesel on the underbellies of the plow trucks, a little went a long way. Rubberized coatings are great if they completely seal, otherwise they just hid the rust.
This is what we use on the ranch trucks and our personal trucks. Works great.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
In regard to surface rust on the bottom of the truck, anyone ever used OSPHO or Krud Kutter? ANy of that really work?

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
Fluid Film would be my recommendation. I once knew an older gentleman that sprayed used motor oil on the underside of his Mercedes every year. He swore by it and never seemed to have any rust issues. In modern times, there are much better products that neutralize any existing rust as well as protect from future rust/corrosion all with no environmental issues.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog