cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Springs or Bags

marcindy
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been reviewed before, I have read through the comparisons between adding air bags vs adding springs. I'm hoping to get some advise here.
We just picked up a 2015 2500 GMC denali duramax along with a Open Range 308BHS, hitch is Equalizer 4 point 14k. We mostly dry camp, so I have 3 Trojan T1275 batteries, 80lbs or so each. I haven't gotten a chance to scale it yet, I moved the bars up one notch from how the dealer installed it, and now the truck sits level (within 1/4") front to back- the back drops 3", front is almost unchanged. For now, I estimate tongue weight is 1200lbs.

The back end squats more than I thought, and thinking of either installing air bags, or adding a spring. I have read mixed reviews on both. I'm hoping to hear from folks with either experience, and what brand/product used (like firestone, etc) pros/cons.

I'm in no hurry as it tows "ok". I'm leaning toward adding a spring, but open. Mostly concerned with ride quality.

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very similar trailer to yours, tow with ram 2500. The WD hitch holds it up good. I have about 1/2 - 3/4 squat on the rear and the front has no noticable lift. I put the StableLoads on to get rid of the porpoising effect. They helped a lot.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
marcindy wrote:
I moved the bars up one notch from how the dealer installed it, and now the truck sits level (within 1/4") front to back- the back drops 3", front is almost unchanged.

I'm confused. If it sits level hooked to the trailer you need nothing. If it drops 3" when you hook it up I would suggest the adjustability of air bags.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
Timbrens on my 2500HD

Not so much for my fifth wheel. I need them for the tongue weight on my boat trailer.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me and I just wanted to increase ride quality I'd go for air bags. I installed a set of Firestones on my previous TV. The ride quality improved greatly; it was especially noticeable over bumps in the road.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
marcindy wrote:
I'm hoping to get to a scale this weekend. I was originally looking for a 3500 GMC, but had a hard time finding what I wanted.

From what I have read, then only major difference between 2500 to 3500 is an additional spring

. Eitherway, I'll probably just leave it for now. It just seems the back end needs to be raised a lot more to release the bars than my previous set up (Sequoia w/ 10k Equalizer).
THanks

that one spring makes the difference between a Class 2 vs Class 3 pickup?

A 6.001k-10K GVWR vs a 10.001K-14k GVWR pickup ?

There has gotta be more to it than one leaf in the spring pack, as
the GVWR number is the OEM's warranty & liability contract with their
buyers/owners & the biggie the government

I have 1 ton help springs on my Silverado. Does NOT touch the frame/bumper
stops till about 1.5 inches of travel. Premium shocks (MonoMax) and
ride quality is NOT on my have to have list. No one who rides with me
knows that there are 1 ton coil helper springs back there...even after
loading up 2.4K-3K worth of firewood/pellets

Air bags do the same thing, but cost more and has ADJUSTABILITY that
coil helper springs do not have

Air bags complicate the WD setup and will take several adjustments
to dial it in...plus each time if the tongue weight changes with your loading
of the trailer
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bags would certainly help with the heavy tongue. Tongue weighs north of 1000lbs are a lot to lift with a WD. Even on a 3/4 ton truck. Your TW is roughly 1000lbs dry. Add 100 for WD, 240 for batteries and 60 for propane. Chances are your TW is 1500lbs or so then the 1400lb bars aren't cutting it. Bags would be the equalizer as they would give you the stiffness that a 350 would have. Just air them up a bit THEN hitch up the TT. The rear won't sag as much, front will be returned to 0-50% as per Ford. Truck will handle better as well.

marcindy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping to get to a scale this weekend. I was originally looking for a 3500 GMC, but had a hard time finding what I wanted. From what I have read, then only major difference between 2500 to 3500 is an additional spring. Eitherway, I'll probably just leave it for now. It just seems the back end needs to be raised a lot more to release the bars than my previous set up (Sequoia w/ 10k Equalizer).
THanks

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Spend a couple bucks at a scale. Get at least 3 passes (truck alone, truck with tongue on ball, truck with trailer with WDH). Get 3 axle weights (truck front axle, truck rear axle, trailer combined axles). That will provide information to calculate exact TW and %, how well the WDH is adjusted, and where you stand with respect to all your truck's ratings. I would target 100% front axle weight restoration despite GM and Ford's latest recommendations. Get back that last 1/4" and the rear will come up another inch at least.

I strongly believe rear suspension aides complicate WDH adjustment and mask overloaded rear axles.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you don't need them or any other type of suspension mod. Although my 2500HD is older than yours I'm running around 1400# tongue weight, truck sits perfectly level.
Adding a spring will kill the ride and leave the truck sitting higher in the back unloaded.
If the truck sits level when hitched up (like its supposed to) and it tows fine I'd leave it, unless your looking at hauling a golf cart or something heavy in the bed. Otherwise a 1200# 'properly distributed' hitch weight is nothing on a 2500HD.

My two cents.

X2.
The OP says the rig handles fine and the truck is level (1/4 inch).
I would use the cost of bags/springs and buy the wife a new gadget for your garage :).
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mile-High-Endur
Explorer
Explorer
I have Supersprings and the ride is fine with or without the racecar trailer. I don't worry about losing air either. Check them out.

http://supersprings.com/

Jeff
2005 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 8.1 gas
2000 24' Pace Shadow Limited w/ Husky Equilizer Hitch - resting in Texas while we fulltime
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ PS, PB, Automatic, Factory Air

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
How about this thought. Bags are adjustable, springs and timbrens are not. :h

i have had my last F250s bagged and would lot be without them.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you don't need them or any other type of suspension mod. Although my 2500HD is older than yours I'm running around 1400# tongue weight, truck sits perfectly level.
Adding a spring will kill the ride and leave the truck sitting higher in the back unloaded.
If the truck sits level when hitched up (like its supposed to) and it tows fine I'd leave it, unless your looking at hauling a golf cart or something heavy in the bed. Otherwise a 1200# 'properly distributed' hitch weight is nothing on a 2500HD.

My two cents.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Firestones are a great choice, but I've seen a lot of people recommend Timbrens. They apparently combine the benefits of airbags (softer ride) with the benefits of the add-a-leaf (no need for adjustment). Search Timbrens and see if that would solve your problems.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

marcindy
Explorer
Explorer
Are Firestone generally the choice for airbags?