cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TC and awnings

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
I currently do not have an awning on my wolf creek 850 but with Spring trips in the wet Pacific Northwest I'm considering getting one. I'm curious to hear others opinions on an awning. They're not cheap, so is it worth the cost, or would I do just fine with tent canopy?
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
51 REPLIES 51

DiscoChicken
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a power awning on the back of my Adventurer. I like the idea of it, but have to say it is almost useless. The awning is so high, with any wind the rain goes right under it. It is also more than a foot shorter from the outer edges of the camper. I would do a regular awning, that stretches the full length of the rear of the camper. I really like the side awnings too, but a canopy tent does the same much cheaper.
Adventurer/Ford

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
ISBRAM,

Is your rear awning aftermarket? If so, what brand? Looks great! Could you either post or send pictures of the mount and of how the side braces are done?

The rear awning is a Flamma F35 Pro, and itโ€™s an option on a Hallmark. It is very light so it works great on a popup, but it's more difficult to use than the Carefree crank out on the side.
The telescoping aluminum struts store inside the main tube, you just unroll it and attach the struts. It is much easer after you do it a few times, and it helps a lot to have someone else hold the tube when setting it up.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipro3 wrote:
Reddog1, what brand canopy can you recommend? I was over at Big Lots today. They have a 20% off sale and they had 10x10 straight leg pop-ups for $69 minus the 20% off; $55. They were kind of light, but provided shade. They had 5 or 6 set up in the parking lot. I passed on getting one seeing as they were probably too flimsy to be worth anything but disappointment when I expected it to work. And being disappointed when I'm out camping is not what I have in mind. Ha!

We have two. The Big Lot is probably the same quality as our less expensive canopy. I really do not know its brand, but cost between $50 and $100. I definitely would only go with straight legs. I think they are easier to tie down, and more adaptable to sides. As flimsy as it is, it has been holding up without issues for 5 or 6 uses so far. The screens and solid sides from Walmart fits. It is very light, easy to carry, but not very durable, compared to our E-ZUP Canopy.

I don't think they come much better than the E-ZUP Canopy. They have several to choose from. It is heavy duty, but spendy. I'm not sure, but I think over $200. It too comes with a storage bag, but has a handle and wheels. Pretty close to the same physical size, but about a foot longer when in the bag. We have had the E-ZUP for over eight years, and many camping trips.

One of the things to watch for is the device that allows you to raise and lower the legs. Some use buttons you press in, others use a pin you pull. You will have to decide which work best for you. The Canopy fits behind the front seat of the truck.

E-ZUP They also have Accessories.

Our E-ZUP looks like this one, at Sam's Club for $200.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

ecoast
Explorer
Explorer
easy-up are a little heavy/bulky, so I use:
convertible awning...

Purchased with the optional legs, it also free-stands.
I attach to rear of TC, or use separately at my convenience.
07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
ISBRAM,

Is your rear awning aftermarket? If so, what brand? Looks great! Could you either post or send pictures of the mount and of how the side braces are done?

Also, to those with the 10x10 canopy...we have one also that we used last year when tent camping. We found it helped to run a rachet strap from diagonal corners (top) under the picnic table. It held it steady in strong winds (if really bad, we lowered it down as far as possible.) Even with an awning, I plan on taking the canopy tent.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1, what brand canopy can you recommend? I was over at Big Lots today. They have a 20% off sale and they had 10x10 straight leg pop-ups for $69 minus the 20% off; $55. They were kind of light, but provided shade. They had 5 or 6 set up in the parking lot. I passed on getting one seeing as they were probably too flimsy to be worth anything but disappointment when I expected it to work. And being disappointed when I'm out camping is not what I have in mind. Ha!

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you that have never had a 10'x10' tent canopy, you really cannot appreciate the versatility. As for portability, about a 12"x12"x5' feet long, including sides for weather and/or bugs.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Western_Sky_Ran
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have both. A rear and a curbside awning. I ordered the camper with them installed. I love the ability to deploy shade at a moments notice without having to carry another item that needs to be stowed away. It may have already been mentioned, but that rear awning will save your camper's interior when it starts to rain/drizzle and you need a dry spot or at least a dry respite to get your coats and muddy shoes on/off.

Ford F250, Super Crew, 4X4, 6.0 Liter Power Stroke Diesel with a Reese hitch.
2008 Carraige Domani DF300 fifth wheel

***And a 2011, Lance 825 Truck Camper!!***

RALLIES ATTENDED 2

wing464
Explorer
Explorer
Have two,one on the drivers side and one over the door...never used either one...When the TC is on the truck, the awning is too high to do any good..it would shade the window but that's it...the one over the door probably do some good but I never think of opening it....

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
I added a side awning. We use it when we can for shade or rain protection.
Would like to add a rear awning.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
We have a side awning on our 830. Once opened, it covers the door area and the side of the camper. We have deployed it only a couple of times. Just does not seem to be worth the effort. I would not order another one. Was on camper when bought.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
We love the awnings for the shade and keeping rain from coming in the back door. If it gets breezy I crank the side one in.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

MTRhino
Explorer
Explorer
I too carry a 10X10 EZ UP. quick to setup, can be moved anywhere, including to the downwind side of the camper when needed and doesn't take much room to store.
Central Montana
66 Jeep CJ5 (toy)
97 Glastron GS205 inboard boat (toy)
03 Bigfoot 25C9.6 truck camper(toybox)
06 PJ car trailer (toy hauler)
10 Chev 3500 ext-cab longbox (toy hauler)
11 Polaris RZR (toy)
12 Beta 450RR dualsport motorcycle (toy)
Next toy = :h

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and when it rains it automaticly dumps the rain puddle to one side...I have had some laughs with my son getting dump on once!!Power awning is the way to go if you can..nice option that came with the TC on lot. never priced them though..$$$$

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I think it really depends on your style of camping. Personally, I prefer the tent canopy. I have two 10'x10', a light weight and a heavy duty. Both have screen sides and solid sides. Which one I take depends on the time of year and where I am going. They have worked well for over ten years.

Typically, I use cement stakes and ratchet straps to tie them to the ground, when needed. I have used then if some especially high wind areas, when raining or snowing. They work great for small group gathering, using one or both side by side. I have use my Canopies in camp grounds that do not allow tent camping. When I have ask, I have been told they do not consider the Tent Canopy to be tent camping, just a gathering shelter.

When group camping, I take a foldout table that holds the cook stove and related stuff. I use a 20-pound propane cyl with a tree, heater, and propane light on top. Having the solid sides is nice for heating.

I find the Tents are much more versatile than awnings. Definitely less expensive. I seldom camp where an awning attached to the TC really works well. The awning limits where you can park the TC. The tents can be in front, behind, either side or away from the TC. Very difficult to keep the bugs out with an awning, and not many awnings block the wind other than the TC side. Even blocking the wind on the TC side, the wind blows under the truck into where you have your chairs and such.

The awnings are easier to store and setup, but I do not think as versatile as the tent canopies.

Wayne

x2
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.