cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test drove some Rams over the weekend

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 1500 with 5.7L & 3.92, 2015 2500 with 6.4 & 4.10, and a 2012 Longhorn 2500 with the cummins. ALL of them have very impressive gittyup. The 6.4 was the most entertaining.

I'm amazed at the difference from my old '97 F150. They all rode better, accelerated smoother, and were infinitely quieter while driving. The 1500s were the most refined of the bunch. Aside from the size and driving perspective, they were just like driving a car. Firm, controlled, quiet ride with no squirreliness. I found myself doing over 80 as I merged on the interstate without even trying. What an awesome surprise!

I question if the bucket seats have any real advantage over the bench seats. The fold down center section in the bench is so versatile! The shift knob on the dash definitely takes some getting used to.

Very good chance I'll find myself behind the wheel of one of these soon! Off to the Ford/GM dealers next, but I don't think they'll come close on price.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
31 REPLIES 31

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
Love my ram 3500

Bedlam
There was 5% more cost for a F550 verses my 5500 with similar configurations when I was looking at best offers from dealers plus applicable rebates.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Not to sway off topic here but since its been mentioned a couple of times.

What's a realistic price difference between a 3500 and an F350; both with diesels?

I've always had Fords and been pleased. But I've had my 6.2L for almost two years and although its great around town pulling my equipment trailers, I sorely miss the diesel power on the interstates pulling the camper. But is there really that big of a difference between these two brands on the window sticker?

Mickey_D
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 last year (traded in a 2014 GMC 1500) and have been very impressed with it. The only problem so far was a small water leak around the third brake light that was fixed with a little silicone in five minutes. I drove the 6.4 first and it was a hoot - very quick for such a big truck and very civilized feeling. From talking to a couple of people with 6.4's the only real downside to them is the towing gas mileage (all of the gassers have this problem towing heavy). It is pretty easy to get down to 6mpg which gives you something like 150 miles before you need to look for gas.

I ended up going with the Cummins option partly for the range as well as the great power towing. With the diesel I average 11 towing which gives 250 miles of range before nervousness sets in and can always add an auxiliary tank for even more range.

I did not seriously look at the Fords due to the price and the complexity of the new 6.7 engine which made me a little nervous. I started out wanting to get another GMC - but the Ram won out. Between being more comfortable, having better visibility over the hood, a MUCH better and easier to use infotainment system, and no DEF tank hanging down under the truck, the Ram was just more refined. The only real downside I can find with it is the Cummins is it is a little loud in drivethrus so you need to turn it off when you are ordering food.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have never driven a Ram 6.4 but I have 11K on my 2015 Chevy 3500 with a 6.0 that I picked up in Feb. I have been pulling 29600 combined for most of this last month (didn't realize it was that much until I went over some scales for the heck of it the other day) and it handles that weight very well. The 6.0 is an old motor compared to the other two, but it flat pulls a load, especially with 4.10's and the 6 speed tranny. The new GM HD's are nice trucks (as are the others I am sure) don't look past the 6.0L.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
They are fine trucks. It may have changed since 2012 or maybe it's just the way the dealer ordered mine, but look out for those chrome mirrors. I had to go after market to get the flip up tow extension. Sickening after three days of ownership.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats the one... I'll give you $25K for it... 😃
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

winehead
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
The Ram 6.4 has had my interest piqued since it was released. If I had the money to buy a new truck today, it would be a 6.4 Mega cab (white, of course).

Yep something like this?

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my 2500 6.4L. I'm not towing heavy, so for my TT, it's plenty of engine even in the hills. On top of that, my daily driver routine involves a lot of short trips. The gas engine may not be the absolute best towing option, but for my overall use, the 6.4L is by far the best all around compromise.

I shopped all three trucks when I bought. I didn't care for the Ford or the GM interiors as much. Functionally fine, but both seemed overstyled and gimmicky, like they were trying too hard to prove something. But interior design was not a major decision factor, and I'd still have bought them if they'd impressed me more in other areas. To be fair, all three were solid, though, and I expect I'd be happy if I had chosen one of the others. All are worth looking it.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
I went bench myself. I like being able to haul 6 people in a pinch. You get a bigger storage area with the bucket seats, but that's it. Some people even went further and got the console shifting mechanism from the 1500 series truck and installed that onto their HD truck.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
The quiet cab and nice interior swayed me over from a Ford.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, be careful doing that. I did the same thing last year and you can see from my signature what happened! The torque of the Cummins is fantastic.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Still loving my 6.4 for many of the reasons the OP mentions. The quietness was probably the biggest surprise. They have really come a long way with things over the years. I was amazed coming out of a 2006 truck. I can imagine coming from a 1997 is really a treat.

While I love my Ram I know many of the things I love are similar in any of the Big 3 brands. I was mainly drawn to the Ram for the value. Have fun shopping 🙂

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still impressed every time I drive my 2012 Ram CTD. 350hp and 800lb tq is pretty nice. No rattles and is still as solid feeling as the day I bought it. More than I can say for the 2010 F150 I had before it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the new trucks these days, with the exception of the Titan. It's well past a refresh. I went with the Ram because they had the best deals going at the time. No regrets.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 2015. Amazing how comfortable it is considering what it can do. Mine is just a tradesman but it has the basic SLT options plus a few extra functional options. I looked at the 6.4 and its impressive but the Cummins was too much to pass up. Once you get a taste of that torque it's tough to settle for less...
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB