cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow capacity

tuctam
Explorer
Explorer
I know you are all probably tired of answering these same type questions but the more I study this the more I am getting confused.

We are "playing" with the idea of upgrading to a 32ft, 3 slide TT.
Dealer says 8520 GVWR and 2350 dry weight.
We drive a 2005 350 Ford Turbo Diesel V8. The sticker info on the truck door says front GAWR 5600lb Rear GAWR 7000lb and GVWR 11,400lb.
We recently added the bullet proof kit to the engine.

Everyone is telling us this TT wouldn't be a problem but I am not feeling as confident from everything I am reading. Can I get some help to get through my confusion with some experienced advise.

Thank you!
18 REPLIES 18

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Good grief....seems some have no idea what Fords '05 F350 SRW 6.0 diesel towing and weight specs are.

As well as the 5R110 transmission ๐Ÿ˜‰

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good grief....seems some have no idea what Fords '05 F350 SRW 6.0 diesel towing and weight specs are.
The OP doesn't have any reason to be paranoid...other than reading some members paranoid replies. In '05 Ford upgraded the SD line up with some big changes mechanically over previous year models.

Looking at Fords '05 body builders spec website shows the truck can tow a 12.5k lb TT with the std oem receiver hitch or 15k lbs with the optional receiver hitch. A receiver upgrade can be done cheap and quick...if its needed.
GN/5th wheel tow ratings are in the 16k+ range. Sure won't have a problem with any size TT rv trailer.

The OP truck has a 7000 RAWR that will be carrying all the hitch load and every thing else in the bed.
These trucks rear axle can weight in the 3000-3200 lb range leaving around 3800-4000 lbs for a payload in the bed.

Your trucks will be no where near maxed out for carrying TT hitch loads or pulling any TT.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
What if its a typo; and it's 18520 GVWR and 2350 lbs tongue weight? See, that's the problem. His numbers don't make sense and everyone is trying to interpret what he means and basing their answer on their best "Guess". Let's get the facts before we get to the conclusions.

Yup I asked in the 2nd post but it was ignored.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
What if its a typo; and it's 18520 GVWR and 2350 lbs tongue weight? See, that's the problem. His numbers don't make sense and everyone is trying to interpret what he means and basing their answer on their best "Guess". Let's get the facts before we get to the conclusions.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
When the OP said "Dealer says 8520 GVWR and 2350 dry weight." I took it to be a MINIMUM 8520 lbs UVW with 2350 lbs of CCC...

...or 8520 DRY and 12,350 LOADED

If you can provide a yeah/make/model of the camper, we can look up the weights.

Our 2005 Cougar 304BHS has 2 slides:

7300 UVW
2340 CCC
33' 11" Length

So another 1200 lbs or so for the OP's 3rd slide and different model seems in line, if interpreted like I did.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
tuctam wrote:
Sorry to sound so naive about this, I have just read so many posts about matching tow vehicle with trailer that I was getting paranoid.
I appreciate all your comments.
You should be paranoid, the numbers you posted don't make any sense and people are telling you to go ahead and tow it. Amazing clairvoyance these people must have! I on the other hand like to base my opinion on factual information.

Answer these questions.
- What is the GVWR of the trailer (year, make and model would be helpful to confirm your numbers)
- What does the yellow sticker on the door of your truck say:
Maximum weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed _________, and have you added anything to the truck (bed liner, tonneau cover, cap, running boards, in bed fuel tank, tool box, etc.)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
tuctam wrote:
I know you are all probably tired of answering these same type questions but the more I study this the more I am getting confused.

We are "playing" with the idea of upgrading to a 32ft, 3 slide TT.
Dealer says 8520 GVWR and 2350 dry weight.
We drive a 2005 350 Ford Turbo Diesel V8. The sticker info on the truck door says front GAWR 5600lb Rear GAWR 7000lb and GVWR 11,400lb.

Everyone is telling us this TT wouldn't be a problem but I am not feeling as confident from everything I am reading. Can I get some help to get through my confusion with some experienced advise.

Thank you!

First off I find it hard to believe that a 32ft 3 slide TT has an 8500lb GVWR. and the dry weight is definitely wrong. I tow a 32ft TT that has a 7200lb dry weight and an 11,200lb GVWR. it weighs 9200lbs loaded for a trip. My V-10 X has no issues towing it. you will want a good hitch such as a Reese Dual Cam. The only thing better will be a Hensley, Pro Pride or (I forgot the name of the hitch that goes under the truck back to the axle).
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Truck can probably tow your intended trailer OK. The problem is the trucks motor. Before you spend your hard earned dollars do some serious research time on the IH/Ford 6.0L diesel.

OP stated in 1st post

So truck is good to go.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me I don't see a problem with your setup, not that I'm the guru at this but I have pick up a few things in my 63 year old life.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Tuctam....yes, confusing...ask 10 people for their opinions and get 11 opinions... :B

Or if just looking for confirmation of what you wish to hear/read...there will be tons of: "sure you can"..."been doing that for years with no issues"...etc

I'll never say that and just provide info to help you or anyone asking the HOW2's to make your own decision(s)

Just note that any advice from freebie forums are worth the price paid...nor will any of the advisers put any skin in 'your' game...there is only one person responsible for the setup and that is the driver...even if that drive did NOT choose the parts & set it up

There is much more to it than just the ratings, which most only see as weight ratings

It is only in part, those weight ratings. Embedded in the OEM ratings/limits/recommendations/etc...is the agency testing/certification/approval of that vehicles specifications/ratings/limits/recommendations/etc

The day Mr Murphy crosses your path...either you have the right stuff or not spot on...no time to go back to the store for proper stuff...nor time to re-adjust it all.

It is the ability to manhandle the whole setup that is baked into those ratings/specifications/limits/recommendations...with fine print CYA's abounding in those charts/etc

OF course within limits that can be, as there are accidents that happen rarely that no matter what will happen...

But, those things are a rarity...but do happen and not just to the other guy...

Congrat's on taking this seriously and good luck with whatever you decide your setup will be

PS...there is another very important metric and has to do with the drivers ability to do whatever just before and during that Mr Murphy session...there are some seasoned old salts that can do it well with just a rope sized to not break...to some who can have a monster TV with the most expensive WD Setup...and I'll not stand in the same parking lot with them driving around that parking lot...

tuctam wrote:
Sorry to sound so naive about this, I have just read so many posts about matching tow vehicle with trailer that I was getting paranoid.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truck can probably tow your intended trailer OK. The problem is the trucks motor. Before you spend your hard earned dollars do some serious research time on the IH/Ford 6.0L diesel.

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not only do I think you should have no concerns with that At all, but I think you could go bigger if you wanted.

Heck, there are people pulling that trailer with half tons....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's understandable considering the off the wall answers and theories you've just gotten here.
Assuming your trailer Weight based on your post and that your truck is in good running order, your truck will pull it easily and safely. Don't think twice about it. Besides you can't get much bigger than a F350.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tuctam
Explorer
Explorer