cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to purchase a new Keystone RV

Fanofcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to everyone, I'm new to the forum. My wife and I are looking to purchase a Keystone RV Passport Elite 29BH. It seems like a decently built travel trailer. I know every manufacture has it's problems, but just curious on your thoughts. We also looked at a Grand Design Imagine bunkhouse model, but it was to modern looking for us. I will towing it with a 2008 GMC 1500 with 3.73 gears and a tow rating of 7500lbs.
16 REPLIES 16

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we've got over 30K miles on our 2010 outback, camp in it around 3 months/year.

about 1/3 of that time a 5 and 9 year old grandkid is with us. Trailer is holding up fantastic. Still looks brand new, carpet is in very good shape. Other than wearing out a set of tires, that's about it.

We have done upgrades to make it more like we want given how much we use it.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat. We have 3 friends with other Keystones, two with Cougars, One with Montana. none have had any issues other than a few minor initial things they needed fixing.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A 2008 GM has far less power, two fewer gears than a 2007+ Tundra. Performance may be acceptable for some, not for others. 900-1000 pounds of TW on 9yr old springs may not be comfortable either. Far too many variables. It was borderline new.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Georgia_Popcorn
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2016 Keystone Outback 277RL and a 5.7L 2016 Toyota Tundra over the past summer, we have towed it little over a thousand miles and have no complaints it pulls like a dream and is getting between 10 and 11 mpg...Everybody, TOYOTA, BRIDGESTONE, CAMPING WORLD, the seller (all except a few on this forum) have all told me that I am with in the limits and all is well. We head out again this Sunday to Florida for a month!

Get it and GO before it's too late!
2019---35M THOR Hurricane
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't had an Outback but have had a Hideout and a Springdale. Both trailers were trouble free and never spent a day at the dealers. The only reason we don't have one now is because we couldn't find the floor plan we wanted in a used Keystone. They don't make Sunnybrook's anymore but we have had a lot of little irritations with it--valances falling off, drawers coming apart, etc...no big issues. But never had any of those with the Keystones.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Keystone Springdale and love it. We have at least 60+ nights and around 15,000 miles on it. The only issue is the stain on some of the cabinet edges is starting to fade, not sure what to do about this as yet. Other than that it has been flawless, and we often camp in BLM areas that aren't the best roads. Funny you mention the Grand Design, we say one recently and really liked the interior vs the traditional style of current trailers, not ready to trade the Keystone yet though.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

bigaltech
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your first question. I'm a fan so far of keystone. I haven't had any issues in mine. We bought a 2016 3290BH last year and for the past year and 2000 miles and a dozen camping trips, it's held up perfect and looks new. My only gripe is the bathroom is a little small, but I figured for weekend trips, I won't complain. Like any trailer, ST tires that come on them are horrible as far as towing, they all sway. If you have the $ or when your tires run out, upgrade the rim/tire to LT and it'll tow like a dream even with the truck you have now. Personal experience says so.

Second thing, please keep in mind weights. Not sure if you're one of those that'll go over the limits, I personally would never. I'm just going to layout the facts, but just know that if you went to the scale your 7500 rating would be less. The truck weight does not include your gear, fuel, etc. Put it on a scale, dumps are usually free. Get the actual weight of your truck. Then, look at the stated curb weight for your truck and subtract the extra from the capacity. example. My dodge 2500 is rated at 2020 for cargo. curb is stated to be 7500. Actual on scale is 7800. Towing/cargo goes down 300 pounds. Now I'm at 1720. Diesel fuel is approx 7.5 pounds/gallon x 35 gallons = 262.5 pounds, subtract again. Trailer tongue states 850 pounds. actual = 1156lbs. with weight distribution (rounding up to 1200 lbs) that puts 800 pounds on truck (400 front axle, 400 rear axle). cargo leftover is now 637.5 pounds Add family to vehicle, snacks, drinks, electronics, etc, you know what your family weighs, in my case, i'll throw in 500 pounds between us, kids, car seats, etc. I basically have no cargo leftover. Towing is now 9000. Subtract my 1900 pounds or so in cargo/trailer tongue, I can now tow 7000 pounds give or take. On the scale, after weight distribution my trailer was 5880 I believe. So I'm in my comfort zone. I have approx 13% towing left. I'd like to be at 20% or greater is the average rule of thumb. My truck pulls very well, it is a diesel. Gas engines would struggle/run high RPMS, I know, I've had one.

Long story short. Keystone is good and for that camper, I would highly recommend a minimum of a 2500 truck for comfort. Gas/diesel is up to you.

Hope this helps!

Fanofcamping
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to look at the Passport Grand Touring 2920BH. It's got the bunks like we want but the weight is less. That makes me feel good about the positive feed back on Keystone RV. I don't want the driving on the edge to be a concern.

ajk170
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Keystone Outback 316RL. I realize this isn't close to what the OP is asking about, but my response is about being on the edge. We use to tow TT with a 2010 Ford 150 5.4 4x2. Ford said GVW was (I believe- its been awhile) rated for 15,400K and on our second trip we went from Savannah, GA to the boarder of AL and GA (aka FT Benning, GA) and I was white-knuckled all the way there and back. Partly since it was my second trip and partly because the Ford struggled the entire way, up hills and down hills on the brakes.

Needless to say, we now have a 2013 Ford 250 6.7 diesel and I never think about towing. Bottom line, the edge is not where we wanted to be when it came to stopping and being pushed around by the trailer. The dealer said it would work but he had no idea of my comfort level. At least with the 250 I feel like I have some level of control. I never felt that way in the 150.

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
So far so good with my Keystone Springdale!! I've had it for about 4 months and have put about 2,000 miles on it.
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Keystone Passport Elite 31RE and love it. Zero issues to date. The trailer is stored under roof, maintained, and we love it! I would definitely buy another Keystone product.

Fanofcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feed back. I realize it's on the edge of towing on my 1500. We only have 3 people in our family. We don't really take a whole lot with us when we go camping. Just enough food for cooking over the camp fire and snacks. Some wood for using in the evening and maybe for lunch. I guess in a nut shell we only take what is necessary. I plan on going to the weigh station at a grain farm.

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter has the model just below yours (no kitchen slide) and it has held up well so far (2 years). They tow it with a Dodge 1500 which does fine. He upgraded the tires for a little more load capacity just in case.
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bunkhouse. 1/2-ton.
How many people and how much gear are you hauling? I'll bet you'll be over the GVW and rear axle rating on the 1500.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......