cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

camping in Utah

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be headed to the Salt Lake City area...any suggestions on camping? I prefer campgrounds that are "safe" and clean and don't mind paying for that.
Appreciate any ideas! Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

wepampercampers
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about March/April camping, yes, you need to stick to the valleys. But if you're talking about mid-May to mid-September, there are beautiful Forest Service campgrounds up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons around the ski resorts. Just 20 minutes from Sandy, UT, on the south end of SLC.
Cottonwood Canyons
These are not RV parks though; no hookups. So it depends on what you are looking for.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
The best places are the ones further outside of any town or city and they are cheaper and quieter as well. Check the Utah state and county parks and BLM campgrounds.

For the paranoid it is better to stay at hotels. Statistically speaking the least safe places to stay at are hospitals.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew nailed the places IMHO. Have stayed at both. God willing, will be at Lakeside in August heading north to OR.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

morley
Explorer
Explorer
If staying in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake KOA is great easy access in and out, rapid transit right at park, Easy access to all areas of city.
If you want state parks, Jordanelle in Park City is great, but still very close to Salt Lake City.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

des04004
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Lakeside this weekend. First time there and we would go back again for sure. Price was good and they have a good combination of residents and campers, but were in different parts in the park which I really appreciated.
2008 Ford F-250 Larait V10
2011 Forest River Wildwood T27BHSS (sold)
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
lakeside rv park and campground in provo for visits to the south end...

That's been my choice
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Utah State Parks, there are several within an hour or less of downtown. They are clean and we have not had a problem with either getting our rigs in and out.
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
Salt Lake City has a need for more good places.

We have family living just south of SLC (in Sandy), visited many times, and we have always stayed at Mountain Shadows RV Park in Draper.
The quality of the sites varies widely; some are great and some are a pain for a large MH. Understand you have a Roadtrek, (class B?). You would probably not have a problem.

We have always gotten good service. Staff is first rate.
It is close to the interstate (on a dead end road) but the noise has not bothered us. Have never felt unsafe anywhere in the SLC area.

The KOA in town is a good park, but not convenient for our purposes.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Brigham City KOA - about 45 min north of SLC itself. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with Ron - more info would be helpful. We have stayed at the KOA in SLC, and it's worked out fine. Safer than it appears, facilities are clean (especially the satellite bathhouse) and it's certainly convenient to the downtown sites as well as to the interstate for access to the suburbs.

Brigham City is quite a ways out for the "north end". A tiny bit closer in would be Willard Bay State Park - right along I-15 (probably noisy) but has hookups and shade. Pony Express looks tidy & clean but has to have a ton of road noise, as it's right next to I-215, which gets some pretty heavy use. (We have never camped there; perhaps it's better than it seems.)
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you talking campgrounds like state parks or commercial rv parks? Need to be more specific.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside rv park and campground in provo for visits to the south end
golden spike rv park in brigham city for the north end

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
MarshaNichols wrote:
I'll be headed to the Salt Lake City area...any suggestions on camping? I prefer campgrounds that are "safe" and clean and don't mind paying for that.
Appreciate any ideas! Thanks!

We have stayed here in the past and found it to be clean and relaxing.

http://www.ponyexpressrvresort.com/
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts search this Forum for Utah or Salt Lake City in the RV Parks section.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)