cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canyon de chelly

fiveeyes
Explorer
Explorer
looking for recent info on the road in/out. possible wife & I might stop there. coming from SoCal, but I can find my way to the area. worthwhile trip? would the Mesa Verde area be better? no trailer, just the pickup this time. TIA bill
18 REPLIES 18

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
armadillo 17 wrote:
To get into the mood of Indian Country. Tony Hillerman has written several mystery novels of the area. Or perhaps an audio book of his. Really adds to the trip.

His books are crappy mysteries to me BUT his descriptions of the land and people are great and spot on.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
To get into the mood of Indian Country. Tony Hillerman has written several mystery novels of the area. Or perhaps an audio book of his. Really adds to the trip.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
For prehistoric Indian sites I would rate Mesa Verde first, Chaco Canyon second (even with the terrible access road! Don't take the RV), and de Chelly third.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fiveeyes
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all..wonderful info..will take this to the chief navigator..LOL..probably be just after Easter holiday..again, much appreciated 😄

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
One thing we noticed in the town and the whole area is how friendly the Navajo people are. They seem to sincerely be happy you are visiting their magnificent area.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Blazing Zippers, it's neat to hear a McDonald's commercial in Navajo but a 'cheeseburger and fries' is said the same way! 🙂

Once, there was a festival going on in town which we attended. We were the only 'outsider' and the great Navajos sitting around us explained, in English, what was going on. The radio station also interviewed us. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three years ago, we stayed at Canyon de Chelly-at the campground. We walked down to the ruins, and spent a day driving around the area. Very interesting. One thing about the area was that the radio station had native tongue news broadcasts, that sounded very cool.
I recommend a visit for certain.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are not pulling your TT you might consider going up to Chaco Canyon which IMHO is more impressive than the others and a lot less people.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Both.

Personally I never miss an Opportunity to stop in Canyon de Chelly - almost a religious place for me, if you are lucky and can get there in the off season when you go around almost totally alone and at peace it is just unique, so I never miss it when we are anywhere close. Mesa Verde is one of those places you have heard so much about you can only talk or think about it if you have been there.

So always Canyon de Chelly and if you have never been you need to go to Mesa Verde.

Couple of other places we will always try to drive by when we are in this corner of the world - Monument Valley - Mexican Hat -

Enjoy your trip, no wrong choices,

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
One of my favorite stops is Canyon de Chelly. Totally different than Mesa Verde. More tranquil, interesting history, still home to First Nations people.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Hubble's Trading Post(a must visit) and the DW talking to several of the Navajo women and they said that it is very funny that Mesa Verde gets so much attention when they have more sites, sites with less damaged and you get to meet a few really nice First Nations people while visiting them. Most of the guides are sort of robotic at first but if you are attentive and talk to them respectfully and ask sincere intelligent questions they warm up very quickly.

I had purchased a book about the Navajo's relocation and return but it left me with many questions. When a silversmith (Dennis by name)working at Hubble's felt I was really trying to understand what happened and how they managed to reclaim their lands, he opened up and he explained a lot I didn't know. I like to pass on to young kids what he said and other things I have learned about our First Nations People. Dennis figured this out and really opened up to me. My wife said she saw a change in his attitude while we were talking and noticed he was answering very thoughtfully and with great respect.

I have found this is true in many places in "Indian Country", they want you to know who they are and how they survive in what appears to be a vast desert.

I feel Canyon de Chelly is as spectacular in it's own way and any place in this country. By the way the roads are good but the real Canyon is out of the way, it's not just another turn off on the interstate.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Check out my blog on this special place. Well worth a visit.

Blog on Canyon de Chelly
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Canyon de Chelly is worth it. It's completely different from Mesa Verde which is great also.

The roads are good getting to the park and you can then drive around the rim. You need a Navajo guide to take you to the floor of the canyon either via horseback, their 4x4 or it used to be, your 4x4 with the Navajo driving it. You can't go alone in order to protect it's beauty. Here's the official national monument site for all your answers:

Canyon de Chelly Nat'l Monument
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Can't beat Mesa Verde! Very nice hyways. Lots of places to stay/camp. If you are mobility challenged, many Mesa Verde sites can be viewed from the roadway.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"