cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oregon Coast to NAPA, Ca. with 45' MH

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, we will be traveling from Portland, Or down to NAPA, Ca in October. New area for us so I'm hoping to learn if Hwy 101 is good for a large MH. We hope to be able to stay in state parks along the way as well. If anyone has any recommendations for scenic routes and campgrounds they would be much appreciated. Thanks.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift
13 REPLIES 13

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
We are 55 feet towing and the last time we went from Portland towards Napa on 99/18 to the 101 south there was a left over typhoon blowing 30-45 from the south and 20-30 foot waves all along the shore. They recorded 3.5 inches of rain that day along out route. We stopped in Crescent City part way there. Hwy 101 is a state highway which meets the minimum requirements but you will find very narrow two lane sections through the forest with 25/30 mph curves and no shoulders. How narrow is it? The overspray from the paint of the white line on the right can be seen on the bark of the very large trees snuggled up to the road. Logging trucks and all manner of commercial traffic use the road as well as peddle bicycle riders which makes for a strange mix in the narrow areas. Other parts are full on freeways 2 and 3 lanes wide and alternate between the narrow sections. Most of the drive is easy but be prepared for some short, slow and narrow sections. Enjoy the drive.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Marine By Choice wrote:
Harris Beach State Park DEFINITELY!!!

To many kids around, pretty place.
So big a world, so little time to see.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
Did it on a motorcycle. It was very twisty and tons of fun. Wouldn't want to drive it in motorhome for the same reason. Friends of ours won't take their fifth wheel on the 101 for the same reason.

101 is the main access to 300 miles of the Northern California coast! Some of the most scenic parts of our nation are off that section of 101. I couldn't even begin to say how many thousands upon thousands of RV campsites are located in that part of the state. And you tell somebody not to take a motorhome there? And you have a friend that won't take a 5th wheel to the Northern California coast??? Do you camp at Walmart off I-5 a lot?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 1 is completely different from 101. Stay on 101 with your motorhome.

From Portland, Hwy 101 is just fine with your 45'. In Oregon with our 40' we've stayed at these state parks: Beverly Beach, Bullards Beach, Cape Blanco, Carl Washburne (but I don't think your 45' would be suitable), Fort Stevens (Astoria is a neat little town to explore) and Harris Beach #15 is good. Generally, the outside sites are best for big rigs rather than the inside loop sites. Each park has a good website. Check them out. Cape Blanco doesn't accept reservations but in you pull in before noon you will get a site. The sites are huge and the beach is lovely and quiet.

Down into California on 101 is good. Ancient Redwoods RV is big-rig friendly and it's right in the heart of the big trees. There are many nice, short, easy hikes amongst the redwoods in this area.

Napa Valley Expo is the place to stay.

Have a great trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
Harris Beach State Park DEFINITELY!!!

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
We drove out 42' MH and out current 41' FW from Lincoln City to Napa a few times in the last 5 years no problem. Some tight curves but it is not to bad

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/bus/

This is a link to the California DOT map of routes where 45' MHs are allowed.

Do some research before you plan a route and save some grief.

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it, it's a beautiful drive that shouldn't be missed. We did it with a fifth wheel and had no problems. Stayed at Cape Lookout, Harris Beach and another state park which I can't remember the name. Great memories.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Mike@Asheville wrote:
Hi all, we will be traveling from Portland, Or down to NAPA, Ca in October. New area for us so I'm hoping to learn if Hwy 101 is good for a large MH. We hope to be able to stay in state parks along the way as well. If anyone has any recommendations for scenic routes and campgrounds they would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1. go west on hwy. 26 to 101
2. turn south on 101 through Oregon and into Calif. 101 will take you right to Napa.
3. I drive a 35' 5th Wheel trailer using 101 north and south once a year.
Totally RV friendly. The only issue you will encounter will be tourist RV travelers mixed with local folks. You just have to slow down through the towns but nothing to worry about.

I-5
1. Head south on I-5 until the hwy.
2. go south on 505 cut off just past the town of Dunnigan.
3. Go west until you connect with Hwy. 80 to Hwy.37 at Vallejo.
4. Go west until 101 until you reach Napa. there a some back roads off Hwy.37 to Napa, just look at your map

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Did it on a motorcycle. It was very twisty and tons of fun. Wouldn't want to drive it in motorhome for the same reason. Friends of ours won't take their fifth wheel on the 101 for the same reason.

Not quite sure about that, are you referring to hwy 1? 101 is fine but the state parks in northern CA may not be a good fit for your rig.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
101 no problems at all. State parks are some of the best in the country. Once you get past Winchester Bay which like stated is very nice, there is Bullards Beach State Park Then Humbug Mt State Park Harrison Beach State Park all first class parks all on the Ocean. Have fun take it easy and enjoy some beautiful scenery.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
101 is fine. Large trucks cover it daily. Where to stay?
Netarts Bay RV park, just west of Tillamook, sea n sand on the south end of Lincoln City, Salmon Harbor RV park at Winchester bay are a good start. Time limits would be nice to know. Any of the Oregon State parks would be good choices, but be aware, many of the sites can be crowded due to thick brush.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE