cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Booking a campsite

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I have encountered this a few times in the past camp outings. It hasn't affected me any because most of the time I have scouted out what sites I like in my area around Middle Tennessee. Some of the Army Corps Campground sites are hard to get into with a 5th Wheel. It can be done but not safely. It is hard to go on their sites to see exactly what the spot looks like when you have to make that turn off of the road into the spot. Recently I have to remove a sign post just to get mine backed in and I don't have a really big rig. Just a Chevrolet Silverado with Puma 25RS. Maybe calling the campground before you show up and ask them if you can get into the spot or not depending on the length. This past weekend we had the road blocked for about an hour so a fellow with a 5th Wheel could try and get backed into a spot. He didn't make it...had a little damage to his trailer and then went to a much easier pull through spot.
Mark
12 REPLIES 12

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
If you go to Recreation.gov site it shows pictures of each site and size.

I do that alot...but they really don't show the access into the site. I was at Cedar Creek Campground near Mt. Juliet, TN which is an Army Corps. Spot 53 is 93 feet...but to back in you have to be real careful in not taking out the Spot 54 sign or your left trailer tires going about a foot down into the ditch. My trailer is 30 foot in length with a short wheel base Chevy truck. I have seen someone come by that had the site reserved with a fifth wheel...looked and said, no way I can get into it. They were lucky that another site was available.
Mark

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Recreation.gov site it shows pictures of each site and size.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
The campground I was referring too is Seven Points. Many have not kept up with the increasing size of the new trailers.
Mark

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Best I can do is Google Maps, Campsitephotos.com, combined with what you get at Res America.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If this is the Bledsoe campground you're referring to, here are some pics of the sites Notice the Site #'s are shown:

Bledsoe Campground Photos

Just Google 'photos, xxxxx campground' and you'd be surprised what comes up! ๐Ÿ™‚

This looks like an easy campground to maneuver a RV into.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that many of the older group...that do not use computers, call for reservations. The person on the other end does not really know exactly what the spot they assign looks like, the angle back into the spot from the road, etc. One must remember that that many campgrounds were built when the typical travel trailer was it...and then they got bigger and bigger. The campgrounds have not caught up with the big the big 5th wheels.
Mark

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Just Lee wrote:
Mark and Linda wrote:
I have encountered this a few times in the past camp outings. It hasn't affected me any because most of the time I have scouted out what sites I like in my area around Middle Tennessee. Some of the Army Corps Campground sites are hard to get into with a 5th Wheel. It can be done but not safely. It is hard to go on their sites to see exactly what the spot looks like when you have to make that turn off of the road into the spot. Recently I have to remove a sign post just to get mine backed in and I don't have a really big rig. Just a Chevrolet Silverado with Puma 25RS. Maybe calling the campground before you show up and ask them if you can get into the spot or not depending on the length. This past weekend we had the road blocked for about an hour so a fellow with a 5th Wheel could try and get backed into a spot. He didn't make it...had a little damage to his trailer and then went to a much easier pull through spot.

we used to live in Portland (north of Nashville) can I suggest you look into joining.. Click here CampTn
Great bunch of people.... In facr we are going back there to a Rally in October at Bledsoe State Park

Thanks, will check into it. We love to camp the different campgrounds around here. Bledsoe is a favorite...great staff.
Mark

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Isn't scouting what Google earth is really good for?

Sometimes. The COE park I am in you cannot see the roads or the sites because of heavy tree cover. I hate when that happens.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark and Linda wrote:
This past weekend we had the road blocked for about an hour so a fellow with a 5th Wheel could try and get backed into a spot. He didn't make it...had a little damage to his trailer and then went to a much easier pull through spot.

Some learning curves are flatter than others. Most would have gone to the easier pull through after 20 minutes or so.:B
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:

The problem with that is that there typically isn't enough detail to determine that yes, my 25 foot FW will fit, but my friends 30 footer won't.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Mark and Linda wrote:

we used to live in Portland (north of Nashville) can I suggest you look into joining.. Click here CampTn
Great bunch of people.... In facr we are going back there to a Rally in October at Bledsoe State Park
2004 Meridian towing 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Traveling with my best friend my wife!