cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping labor day weekend

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer
Is labor day usually pretty quiet at most RV parks. I've stuck to the KOAs in the OH, MI, IN area this year, they don't have a lot of great trails or anything, but the sites are level and full service.
14 REPLIES 14

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we don't camp on holiday weekends and rarely in the summer, unless it's the only time family can go.

we usually camp exclusively spring and fall and weekdays.

and especially avoid those 3 day holiday weekends.:E
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
kknowlton wrote:
Since we don't enjoy crowds, Labor Day, Memorial Day and 4th of July have always been times of year when we have avoided campgrounds of all sorts (from KOAs to state parks) and stayed home. That was definitely our experience in the Chicagoland area when we lived there, and is true out here as well.

Same out West. We couldn't even get a spot for miles on those three weekends if we tried. Of course, we don't. I like to sleep at night when I camp, not listen to multiple people cussing and playing loud music all night long.

Though there will always be risk when booking on the big 3 holidays. That said I wouldn't think it would be fair to lump all campgrounds together. Sometimes you just need to do a little homework beforehand to prevent a bad camping experience. Find one that doesn't cater to the younger crowd, that enforces policies, and check the reviews. Those 3 usually will improve your odds.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
Looking forward to returning to Cape Cod, Atlantic Oaks campground for labor Day weekend through next week. Campground is very tame. They enforce their policies plus they seem to cater to a quieter crowd.

Mike

X2 love this place. Backs up to the bike trail and get my fix at Arnold's next door. Try to make it there once a year.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Since we don't enjoy crowds, Labor Day, Memorial Day and 4th of July have always been times of year when we have avoided campgrounds of all sorts (from KOAs to state parks) and stayed home. That was definitely our experience in the Chicagoland area when we lived there, and is true out here as well.

Same out West. We couldn't even get a spot for miles on those three weekends if we tried. Of course, we don't. I like to sleep at night when I camp, not listen to multiple people cussing and playing loud music all night long.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Makes no difference to our State parks. They're always 90% or more full anyway.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I wish the crowds would flip off like a switch up here after labor day. The switch around here is the first frost, which can be late into October.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Since I retired we decided that doing the holidays isn't worth the hassels.

We will be going to the beach the day after Labor Day and staying for a week. Will be relatively quiet, everything thing will still be open and we'll have a great time.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to returning to Cape Cod, Atlantic Oaks campground for labor Day weekend through next week. Campground is very tame. They enforce their policies plus they seem to cater to a quieter crowd.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't go near a campground this weekend. That being said I will be leaving on Tuesday, day after Labor Day, for the Talladega National Forest and will have the campground to myself for six wonderful days.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Considering it's one of only 3, 3-day weekends during "camping season", kids are or will soon be back to school and involved in weekend activities, weather will soon be getting cooler, and facilities such as pools, water slides, etc. are still open but will soon close, nah, won't be anybody there. You'll have the place to yourself. ๐Ÿ™‚ Seriously, nothing wrong with it, especially if you have kids that are part of the fun. Just not for us anymore. Our main camping season starts the following weekend.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The three most crowded camping weekends of the year are Labor Day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day. I make it a point to stay home those three weekends. But then I'm not crazy like some folks.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If by quiet you mean packed in like sardines and plenty of drunken woots and hollarin as the sun goes down, that pretty much describes the parks in Michigan.

Not so much Labor day, pretty much any weekend mid June through early Sept.

There are some parks that are less popular, for example parks on Lake Huron are less popular than parks on Lake Michigan. Some of the downstate parks are "dry", no alcohol but it's not very well enforced, you'll see plenty of adults with the red plastic cups drinking their beverage, rather than a can or bottle in hand.

I don't know where I'm going yet. Druken hoots and hollarin is not my scene. Likely I'll end up in a USFS or MSF campground - no services usually means no crowd.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out here in the west, Labor Day weekend is anything but quiet at most places to camp, commercial or otherwise. It marks the end of the season for a goodly number of places here in Colorado. I was at Glacier Basin in Rocky Mountain National Park this past weekend, it was completely full; they are only open 2 more weekends and then it's end of the season for them. Went past Elk Meadows Resort (commercial CG in Estes Park CO), they too were just about completely full, and will likely be that way until they close in October.

Many places out here start to close down shortly after Labor Day. Much of that is due to elevation. USFS CGs are dependent on snow and cold to determine when they close. Some close early; at lower elevations they close later. Commercial CG start to close around the middle of September, to mid-October out in this area.

I know you mentioned a tri-state area back in the Midwest, and KOAs. I would venture to say that many places back east that are popular camping spots will be like here in Colorado -- full and less than quiet. Guess it depends on what amenities/sights are in the area to make them popular.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.