cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Charleston SC Campgrounds

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to make May reservations near Charleston and looking at Hunting Island and Edisto State Parks. Like public parks better than private, are these good? and any recommendations on loops or sites would be appreciated. Looks like most near the been have already been booked. Ideas on good eating places also would be welcome.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230
14 REPLIES 14

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Givhans is a nice out of the way park, but it is over 45 minutes to Charleston. That time would put you in Summerville.

James Island is the best place to stay for access to downtown. If you don't want to drive, they have a shuttle.

If you are going middle of the week in May, you should do okay. Should be just behind the snow birdies heading north and just ahead of the summer crowd.

The farther back you go in the woods, the worst the mosquitos will be. Need the sea breeze to help keep them at bay.

If you do go to Edisto, make sure you grab lunch at the Sea Cow. First right as you come onto the island then down a block or two. No views, but great service and food.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking to visit Charleston, James Island County Park is the place to stay. We stay there at least a week every year. Its a little spendy for a public park, but worth it. I would allow at least two whole days to see Charleston.

Hunting and Edisto are both great places to stay in their own right, but neither is within reasonable distance to Charleston if that's your destination.

Have a nice stay,
Doug

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I would say James Island County Park also

Ditto, we stayed there last spring and loved it.
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

alnal326
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the area after Christmas through the New Years and stayed at a SC state park called Givhan's Ferry State Park. It was about 45 minutes from Charleston and not very crowded and was $15 a night. The Host took very good care of the bath facilities. We had looked at Edisto but thought camping in December being further inland might be warmer. There was not too much to do in the park and it had no wifi but if we go back to the area we'll stay there again. We did ride through James Island while there for their holiday light show and it also looked like a good place to have stayed.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - Looks like James Island will be a stop if we can get in and then on to Hunting Island if there is room.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fla-gypsy wrote:
James Island is my destination in Charleston.

X2 Fantastic One of a kind place
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Hunting Island is fabulous, but unless you already have reservations, the sites may be limited, but that is according to when you are planning to go in May.

It is about 1 1/2 hours from Charleston, no matter how you go, so take that into consideration.

We spent spring break at James Island CP last year and really enjoyed it. You are about 10 minutes from downtown Charleston, 10-15 minutes from Folly Beach. Lots and lots of good restaurants in/around the Charleston area.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Both Edisto and Hunting Island are great. As noted, bring your own drinking water (that goes for any beach front CG in SC). Hunting Island has a lot of ticks - be careful.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
James Island County Park

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
James Island is my destination in Charleston.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beaker wrote:
Getting ready to make May reservations near Charleston and looking at Hunting Island and Edisto State Parks.

These are 2 of my favorite parks, but Hunting Island is too far away and Edisto is hard to reserve but maybe not so bad in may.

I always stay at James Island but that also can be a hard ticket.

X2 on James Island.

Hunting Island is great. I think Edisto has some of the best beachfront camping around and I've been to a lot of them Two negatives on Edisto though. First, the water is horrible. Possibly the worst I've ever encountered. Second the dump station is a long way from the beachfront sites, including nearly a mile on a state route. Its a tough trip for a tote tank.

Of the three, I'd take James island hands down.
Larry

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to make May reservations near Charleston and looking at Hunting Island and Edisto State Parks.

These are 2 of my favorite parks, but Hunting Island is too far away and Edisto is hard to reserve but maybe not so bad in may.

I always stay at James Island but that also can be a hard ticket.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I would say James Island County Park also

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We highly recommend James Island County Park and Campground in Charleston, SC. You are close to the city, but in a campground and not an rv park. We ate in some great restaurants near the campground and near downtown, but can't recall the names.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"