cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Restrictions on older RVs.

AlaskaDreamTrip
Explorer
Explorer
All of our RVing has been in Alaska, with the exception of one 12 day trip with rented RV several years ago. Have read Motorhome magazine for years and have been trying to prepare for our first big adventure this fall. Have been reading about age restrictions on older RVs in many parks. Our 1999 Fleetwood Southwind is in excellent mechanical and interior condition, but the outside shows its age in faded decals and lack of shine. How can we determine ahead of making reservations which RV parks restrict by age of vehicle? I've looked at several campground websites and don't see that information displayed. We are members of Good Sam, but, frankly, not much of a presence here in Alaska. How do we obtain a print motorhome directory? Does it indicate if there are restrictions of this type? Thank you for your help!
23 REPLIES 23

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
I retired this year and this will be our first winter in the RGV. The park we will be staying at requires a copy of the title or some other proof of the vehicles age. When we asked why they said they have had people lie about the age and show up with some old eyesores.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
we stay in a 5 star resort for 6 months each winter that has a 10 yearrule We have a 19 year old alpenlite. As said above looks is everything.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have never been turned down and I usually have had an older rig. I do try to keep them looking as close to new as I can. My current rig is a 2001 but it looks very good. If yours is not very shiny, I would try and shine it up. I haven't tried the floor wax method but a lot of people swear by it. The decals are a bigger problem. I have had good luck putting tire shine on mine. It seems to brighten them right up and lasts pretty good. I have used it several times on mine and now I hardly ever have to do it anymore!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We did an 18,000 mile trip around the U.S. and stayed at every type of RV park. We never found any that questioned the age of our RV. It's a 1999. Chuck

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
parkmanaa wrote:
IMHO age restrictions at RV park are a stupid cop-out.
The reason some parks have this restriction is because they have weak management of the park, so the owners say "don't take any RV over 10 years old"
Smart ones go by condition rather than age. Sure wouldn't seem prudent to turn away a 25 year-old fully-restored airstream, yet let a 5 year old unit in with a couple of window units hanging on the side.

Much easier to point to a simple age restriction when telling someone they can't come in as opposed to telling their rig looks like @#%#$. You can expect the later to start an argument and get negative feedback on review sites. Kind of hard to get into it if you have an 11yr old rig and they say 10yr old or newer.

If you come in with a 15yr old rig that looks good, they just conveniently forget to ask.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
The 10 year rule is a tool that campgrounds use to prevent people from dumping old RVs on their property thus avoiding the cost of having a junker towed. If you make reservations and they make a fuss about the age of your rig, tell them you'll send a pic and if they think your rig fits the junker category you'll go somewhere else.

Then send them a pic of a new Marathon.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I think its just a rule on the books that can be enforced if a crappy looking rig/owner wants to stay there. If you look good, you're fine. If you look like a rolling meth lab, you get shown The Rule and asked to move on. And I'm fine with that.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I owned a 1988 Damon Escaper built on a Toyota C/C. The unit was in very good shape and ran very good with only 70,000 miles on the clock. I only ran into a problem at a CG one time and I just moved on to the next CG.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I've always called and asked as my truck is now 27 years old but have yet to find one that said it was a problem. I figure if I do run across one that won't allow it it's not really a RV Park I want to stay at anyways.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO age restrictions at RV park are a stupid cop-out.
The reason some parks have this restriction is because they have weak management of the park, so the owners say "don't take any RV over 10 years old"
Smart ones go by condition rather than age. Sure wouldn't seem prudent to turn away a 25 year-old fully-restored airstream, yet let a 5 year old unit in with a couple of window units hanging on the side.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I check with the nearest cactus or pine tree where I usually park... they are good with my rig...

But ... occasionally use private enterprise paid site...

The one time at the $150/night one in Palm Springs CA they didnโ€™t take truck camper rigs.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We've never encountered a campground in over 40 years that doesn't allow older rigs but then we mostly use public parks under some branch of government. Personally, I doubt I would patronize such a campground although I would support restrictions on junky units or campsites.
Jayco-noslide

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We have never run into an age restriction(other than those really high end private parks) but in Las Vegas the one question about my rig that surprised me was "do you have any cracked or broken windows?".
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RV age restrictions are really quite rare, and are usually found at high end "resort" RV parks. Don't use the "resort" in a park name as an indicator though, since the name has lost any real meaning over the years as older parks failed to modernize. Another place rig age restrictions can be found is long term stays, such as seasonal or annual sites. For 1 or 2 weeks or shorter stays, as long as the RV is in reasonably good condition there's typically no problem. State and national parks usually have no restrictions on age either, but 2 weeks is typically the maximum contiguous allowed stay.

X2. Reports of age restrictions are overblown. Yes they exist but you may never run into this issue.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)