cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reviews are not always fair.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
I just need to get this off of my chest. We are workampers and are currently working in Texas. We are at a KOA that has 35 cabins and 237 RV sites. The manager is awesome, and probably the best manager we have ever worked for. The problem is that people have been scheduling HUGE family reunions and are occupying most, if not all the cabins. They have been a total pain in the rear as many of them could care less for the park rules. They lie about how many people are occupying the cabin and they have extra cars blocking traffic and parking where they are not supposed to. We work very hard to be courteous to everyone but the RV crowd is upset because the cabin dwellers are tearing things up, and the cabin people are mad because we ask them to obey the rules. They let their kids run wild, leave trash everywhere and it's really sad. Sadly, my prediction is that the family reunions will be the downfall of this nice park.The Google reviews are becoming terrible but it's from the cabin people and not us RV people. I just looked through the reviews and the bad ones are obviously the cabin people who weren't allowed to run wild and ruin it for everyone. Not sure what the answer is but I will look further into reviews when we are looking for our next stay.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher
26 REPLIES 26

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Your manager is in a difficult spot. In my experience it is one thing to know the problem, it is a much harder thing to make the changes to correct it. I do not envy her, it is a difficult thing to make those kind of changes

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's true that most people can weigh bad reviews and reach their own conclusions. Just enforce the rules, and the other campers will thank you with good reviews.

I am at a really great COE campground on Lake Lanier, GA north of ATL this week - huge sites, almost all with views of the water and easy water sports access. I was a little concerned at a negative review or two claiming nasty gate management people causing problems with inviting guests.

Then I found a similar more detailed review on a different site where (probably same) guy was bashing the gate people because he had booked two sites and invited 16 people to come (they allow 8 people per site plus up to three vehicles), and they were insisting he needed at least a camping unit like a tent on each site, which he thought was an outrage. They guy obviously was planning a big party, and he complained of discrimination. By the way, this is a "no alcohol, no fireworks" park, too.

Often the reviews that bash management are code for "I wanted to break the rules and they wouldn't let me." Revenge reviews from one-time reviewers.

We asked at the gate about our two adult guests coming for lunch, polite response that they are welcome, and the hosts were very nice folks.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is great when the owner of the business responds to reviews both good and bad. I read reviews usually people will incriminate themselves and I can see past that.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
A very well respected businessman I used to know, Charles J Lewis, always said "in order to be successful, you must be willing to turn some business away." and "There are two kinds of people in the world, warm-fuzzies and cold-pricklies. Life is too short to waste on the cold-pricklies. Refer them to your competitors down the road."

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
Having been in business almost 40 years, I would wonder if perhaps the owner is fairly new, like less than 10 years? If so he making be making a classic mistake that I certainly made as did many others. Thinking he has to please everybody and take everybody. What he may not understand, is these large problem groups are not making him money. They are costing him money, and horrible stress.

The answer is easy, don't take large groups. That is easier said than done. But I can guarantee in the long run he will make more money with 1/10 the stress.

Took me many years to understand that. Some people will abuse a business, for as long and as hard as they can. Just don't take those folks in the first place, and if you do get them, get rid of them as soon as possible.

The manager is female with lots of experience. You are correct that these people will cause more harm than good and keep the good RV crowd away. I believe she is also very aware of that.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We are also workampers, not at a KOA but a Corps of Engineers. We get the same reactions from our campers that don't follow the rules and think it doesn't apply to them. We have good support from our rangers and/or deputy sheriffs. We get the nasty blowback from campers that think they "paid for the site" and can do whatever they want. We have also volunteered at state & county parks for 9 years before taking this job. We could write a book on things that have happened in the campground and comments we've received. Like, how is it possible that we don't have a site for a 40 ft rv with 50 amp on a holiday weekend? And they only get crazier from there

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Whether they are staying in RV, tent, Yurt, or Cabin ... if they are creating problems they should be evicted .... if you don't evict them then the campground deserves a negative rating.
Kevin

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Any time I read a review like that the first thing I think is what did you do to be subjected to poor treatment by management? I have found it to be a rare instance that management is rude or indifferent to people. The campground will usually reflect the pride in ownership or lack of and I can take a guess at how the management will be.

I don't put much stock in most reviews anyway and use them as a very general guide. I've been to CG's that have 5 star ratings that I would not give 2 to and some with less than stellar reviews that I have enjoyed. Go figure.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Kicking them out certainly helps to keep peace within the CG and send a message, but it doesn't help the bad reviews as nothing will stop them from posting and lying about their experience. Don't have an answer for that except a rebuttal as was mentioned earlier.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
My wife worked at an RV park in Florida for two years as a housekeeping supervisor. They also had rental cabins, rental pontoon and Jon boats! I volunteered my time for our site and she was a paid employee. Many of the guests were clean and orderly, but that 25% ruined it for everyone. They destroyed things, partied 24/7 at times and just didn't care. We finally got a new Manager who was a big burly outspoken guy that straightened things out quickly! He would flat tell people to leave if rules were broken and gave them time to do so before he would call the sheriff in to remove them. Things settled down after word got out.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Large groups in any campground are generally a cancer. Cabin people usually have a different mentality that long-time RV people, just like weekenders. Their behavior will never change and the sense of entitlement isn't going to get any better. Ignore it or call the cops.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Having been in business almost 40 years, I would wonder if perhaps the owner is fairly new, like less than 10 years? If so he making be making a classic mistake that I certainly made as did many others. Thinking he has to please everybody and take everybody. What he may not understand, is these large problem groups are not making him money. They are costing him money, and horrible stress.

The answer is easy, don't take large groups. That is easier said than done. But I can guarantee in the long run he will make more money with 1/10 the stress.

Took me many years to understand that. Some people will abuse a business, for as long and as hard as they can. Just don't take those folks in the first place, and if you do get them, get rid of them as soon as possible.

egregg57
Explorer
Explorer
Kick a few of them out. Sends a clear message. The rest don't shape up, everyone associated with the group goes. Ask the police for assistance. People like that will ruin your place. They are a cancer...get rid of them.
AEC AW/SW E.J. Gregg USN Ret.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L Diesel
2015 Keystone Montana 3750FL Copper Patina
The Gregg Escape

rav
Explorer
Explorer
the motorcycles were not camping, they went around the gate and entered the campground.